Value of: Anthony Stolarz to Minnesota

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
I'm curious to see how Flyer fans value Stolarz. Seems like he is still a solid goalie prospect that just got injured at the wrong time this last season. With Hart and Lyon is Stolarz seen as more expendable? Assuming Lyon has a NHL caliber ceiling expectation. Wild goalie pipeline is almost nonexistant aside from Kaapo Kahkonen. Curious what Flyer fans would want in a trade. Or in a Simmonds/Stolarz package.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Likely wouldnt cost much. As you said, still a decent prospect but were out of room in the AHL at this point.

2nd?

Fat chance you get a 2nd for him. A 4th maybe.

Reactions: Oddbob

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
If you're acquiring him its to be your backup as hes no longer waiver eligible. Coming off a season ending injury i think he may make it through. We'll have a much better idea of where he's at come October. Before the injury he was a talented kid who was tracking well. Most had him ahead of Lyon.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I'm curious to see how Flyer fans value Stolarz. Seems like he is still a solid goalie prospect that just got injured at the wrong time this last season. With Hart and Lyon is Stolarz seen as more expendable? Assuming Lyon has a NHL caliber ceiling expectation. Wild goalie pipeline is almost nonexistant aside from Kaapo Kahkonen. Curious what Flyer fans would want in a trade. Or in a Simmonds/Stolarz package.

I think he's the kind of guy you package if you're moving him, so I wouldn't be shocked if a Simmonds & Stolarz ended up going in the same deal. I don't see why we'd flip him for a pick unless it was a 2nd or a 3rd, would much rather just keep him at that point. Given that Neuvirth is almost literally made of glass, I'd expect one or both of Lyon & Stolarz to get some NHL time throughout the course of the season.

Reactions: Marlowe Syn

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Don’t really see him having more potential than kappo. If I’m sending a second to someone for a goalie prospect I’d rather do something around Pittsburgh’s Jarry.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Stolarz to Pittsburgh for Matt Murray. Pens get a young goalie. Furthermore, it helps out their cap. Flyers get a good goalie to help their pursuit of lord stanley.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Stolarz to Pittsburgh for Matt Murray. Pens get a young goalie. Furthermore, it helps out their cap. Flyers get a good goalie to help their pursuit of lord stanley.
Pittsburgh isn't in the business of helping their rival by crippling themselves.

Reactions: Hivemind

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
Too many unknowns to move him yet. Will Elliott and Neuvy stay healthy? Will Lyon continue to progress? How will Hart transition?

Stolarz has played well when given the opportunity. The injury obviously hurt his development but to call him waiver fodder is premature. He’s a goalie and he’s still young in terms of age for his position. Rather keep him as added insurance and see if his development gets back on track post injury.

Elliott
Neuvy

Lyon
Stolarz
Hart.

In that order I’d say as far as being ready to play at the NHL level. Also keeping in mind the top 2 are on the last year of current contracts and not expected back moving on.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
No particular urgency to move him. Happy to let him battle out for a spot and lose for nothing if that's the price.
He has to sign a contract first. It makes more sense for him to leave for Europe if he can’t be guaranteed an AHL spot.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Too many unknowns to move him yet. Will Elliott and Neuvy stay healthy? Will Lyon continue to progress? How will Hart transition?

Stolarz has played well when given the opportunity. The injury obviously hurt his development but to call him waiver fodder is premature. He’s a goalie and he’s still young in terms of age for his position. Rather keep him as added insurance and see if his development gets back on track post injury.

Elliott
Neuvy

Lyon
Stolarz
Hart.

In that order I’d say as far as being ready to play at the NHL level. Also keeping in mind the top 2 are on the last year of current contracts and not expected back moving on.

But according to what you are writing here- He is literally wavier wire fodder. They'll have to place him on waivers in order to get him to the AHL. You can't keep him as insurance. That's the point.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
But according to what you are writing here- He is literally wavier wire fodder. They'll have to place him on waivers in order to get him to the AHL. You can't keep him as insurance. That's the point.
Nobody is claiming him off waivers.

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011
Likely wouldnt cost much. As you said, still a decent prospect but were out of room in the AHL at this point.

2nd?

If Hextall got a 2nd, he should be arrested for robbery. Stolarz won't bring anything higher then a 4th or 5th. I like Stolarz but he needs a new organization to play for. He's been jerked around by this one when healthy. Kept saying, "He's not ready" Same GM said guy's like Ghost weren't ready , Morin wasnt ready when he played better then other defenseman. Let the kid go somewhere he can actually has a chance at playing

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
If Hextall got a 2nd, he should be arrested for robbery. Stolarz won't bring anything higher then a 4th or 5th. I like Stolarz but he needs a new organization to play for. He's been jerked around by this one when healthy. Kept saying, "He's not ready" Same GM said guy's like Ghost weren't ready , Morin wasnt ready when he played better then other defenseman. Let the kid go somewhere he can actually has a chance at playing

Morin was ready and was called up. He just had an injury that actually prevented him from playing.

Seems like an oddly familiar story. What other Flyers player probably would've played in the NHL this year if he weren't injured. Hmmm, I cant seem to place a name to that story...

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
He has to sign a contract first. It makes more sense for him to leave for Europe if he can’t be guaranteed an AHL spot.

Hes an RFA, who has literally no leverage. I wouldn't be concerned about it at this point.

Realistically, I think he or Lyon are moved, but likely in a package, not as individuals.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

Your tone suggests he got it wrong by holding back Ghost. How do you know that he wasn’t brought up at precisely the right time?

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Stolarz was ready to be a backup goalie in the NHL last season but the Vegas entry draft really screwed him. We had to have a goalie to expose in the draft and he was the only one with a contract for the next season. We weren't bringing back Mason so we signed Neuvirth but the problem there was he can't stay healthy and can't be a #1. Thus, after July 1 we signed Elliott to be our #1 which pushed Stolarz back to the AHL.

Stolarz is probably the most ready of our prospects to be a regular NHL backup right now and he still has starter upside (though he probably has the lowest chance of becoming that between him, Lyon and Hart).

At this point the best case scenario for us would be to trade Neuvirth is someone wants him, have Stolarz backup Elliott and have Lyon and Hart in the AHL. After next season Elliott will be gone and leaves us with Stolarz as the likely starter with one of Lyon and Hart to back him up or push him out as the starter.

Unfortunately that isn't likely to happen (me, I would have just bought Neuvirth out and been done with him) so something has to give. Hart will be in the AHL this season. That means one of Stolarz or Lyon is either traded or in the ECHL (a league both are better than). Lyon may have more upside but Stolarz is more ready so I'd move Lyon.

A package of Lyon/Stolarz and Simmonds to someone like Minny seems like a good scenario for us but what would they offer or be willing to part with. We can take on a short term cap dump (no more than 2 years remaining) if necessary to make it easier to resign Simmonds. Keep the Schenn trade in mind as a reference for what you'd have to offer. The goalie prospect wouldn't be viewed as having much sway in the package but is there more as a "sweetener " for you and clearing out a bit of a log jam for us.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Somebody would pick him up for sure. Quite a few teams I don’t doubt. He’s still got a lot of potential, just needs to get fit.

No GM is going to waste a waiver claim on Stolarz, a goalie who no one knows if he can even play at the AHL level at this moment.

Reactions: BernieParent

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Has Alex Lyon really jumped Stolarz? I know Stolarz had a rough 2017-18, but wasn't that primarily due to injury? He's a year younger than Lyon and has shown a lot more NHL viability than Lyon. Personally, I don't see Lyon as a legit NHL goalie, more of a #3/AHL platoon. While Stolarz is still a bit of a project due to his most recent season, he at least has NHL upside.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Stolarz was ready to be a backup goalie in the NHL last season but the Vegas entry draft really screwed him. We had to have a goalie to expose in the draft and he was the only one with a contract for the next season. We weren't bringing back Mason so we signed Neuvirth but the problem there was he can't stay healthy and can't be a #1. Thus, after July 1 we signed Elliott to be our #1 which pushed Stolarz back to the AHL.

Stolarz is probably the most ready of our prospects to be a regular NHL backup right now and he still has starter upside (though he probably has the lowest chance of becoming that between him, Lyon and Hart).

At this point the best case scenario for us would be to trade Neuvirth is someone wants him, have Stolarz backup Elliott and have Lyon and Hart in the AHL. After next season Elliott will be gone and leaves us with Stolarz as the likely starter with one of Lyon and Hart to back him up or push him out as the starter.

Unfortunately that isn't likely to happen (me, I would have just bought Neuvirth out and been done with him) so something has to give. Hart will be in the AHL this season. That means one of Stolarz or Lyon is either traded or in the ECHL (a league both are better than). Lyon may have more upside but Stolarz is more ready so I'd move Lyon.

A package of Lyon/Stolarz and Simmonds to someone like Minny seems like a good scenario for us but what would they offer or be willing to part with. We can take on a short term cap dump (no more than 2 years remaining) if necessary to make it easier to resign Simmonds. Keep the Schenn trade in mind as a reference for what you'd have to offer. The goalie prospect wouldn't be viewed as having much sway in the package but is there more as a "sweetener " for you and clearing out a bit of a log jam for us.

I kind of agree, but I think you have Stolarz and Lyon switched. I see Stolarz as a higher upside and Lyon as the more 'prepared'. I think what we saw from Lyon last year is likely to be what wed expect from him throughout any NHL career hed have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad