Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This kid deserves some attention.

24GP 10G 8A 18P +11

11 points (6+5) in his last 8 games
Leads all rookies in +/-
Behind only Matthews/Laine/Marner in rookie P/GP among those with 20+GP
Leads the Wings in nearly every possession stat

He is playing at an elite level this season and he's doing it for a team that is struggling badly to score goals. If Wings had a functional powerplay his numbers would be looking even better.

Some of his goals:
https://streamable.com/t4at
https://streamable.com/w03m

Since I don't want to call out specific posters, I'll just recap with some un-named quotes to showcase how low the opinion was of Mantha because of his slow start in the AHL:
LOL at the guy who said manta had 40 goal upside. At his pace, he'll be lucky to hit 40 points.....in the AHL!!
i still remember that some people where calling him a futur 40 goal guy
Late 1st round talent looking like a late 1st round talent. Not the elite winger he was being deemed by so many.
He just doesn't look like an NHL top 6 talent.
How do you expect him to be a top 6 NHL player when he can't even put up points in the AHL?
He can turn into a nice 3rd line option for the Wings like Joe Colborne for the Flames.
Mantha is going to end up being a 3rd liner in the NHL or maybe a mediocre 2nd liner
He is a floater... Always has been, probably always will be. Sorry but I think the odds are pretty good that Mantha will be either an extremely late nhl bloomer or an outright bust.

coupe93

Dec 15, 2009
He sure looked good in the Centennial Classic. Detroit's got a good one there!

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Thank goodness for injuries or Detroit management would have him rotting away over-ripening in the AHL

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Been super impressed by him since he's come up. Could definitely be Detroits best forward down the road. More upside than Larkin.

coupe93

Dec 15, 2009
Marner will burn a lot of players in the years to come. Mantha's 2 goals and 1 assist that game was a highlight.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
6'5 220lbs great skater, silky smooth hands, incredible shot

He's got all the tools in the world to be a top player in the league. Hopefully he puts it together because we really need someone to build around.

member 147413

'Young player' plays well over short stretch

"'Young player' has arrived"

'Young player' shows inconsistency following year

"Whatever happened to 'young player', is he a bust?"

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Glad to see him doing well as a lot of people were down on him, but I think its too early to say he's arrived. Many thought Larkin had arrived before he fizzled out last season and has had a slow start to his sophomore year. Not that this is a bad thing, young players often struggle with inconsistency and only the truly elite seem to be able to avoid that at a young age. Hope he can keep it up though, he's got a big league shot and some nice hands.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I really like him in the tournaments I watched. Really wish Detroit would have sold low on him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I had Mantha as a top-10 pick in 2013 and was always convinced that this would be an impact goalscorer in the NHL. Started to waver a bit last year with his struggles in the AHL, but glad he's arrived this season.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
I always pictured him as a tall Michael Ryder. Can snipe and be a top-six guy but won't be a two-way wizard like slam-dunk Hall of Famer Toes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad