Anthony Duclair

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I remember when he was highly touted when he was playing with Domi. There was a debate then if he was on a hot streak or going to breakout and be a league superstar. Looking at his stats now, what happened? What is he missing now that he had back then and is he done progressing or will he breakout?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Nothing really happened.

He's very talented but there were always concerns about his versatility and whether or not his skills would translate to the NHL. That's why he fell to the third round despite pretty outstanding junior production.

He's a decent enough NHL player, but nothing special. That's pretty much what he was billed as unless he took a huge step.

Reactions: Fixxer

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Nothing really happened.

He's very talented but there were always concerns about his versatility and whether or not his skills would translate to the NHL. That's why he fell to the third round despite pretty outstanding junior production.

He's a decent enough NHL player, but nothing special. That's pretty much what he was billed as unless he took a huge step.

His junior production prior to being drafted was not 'outstanding'. It was decent and solid.

He played on a stacked Quebec team and was only the 4th leading scorer on the team in his draft year. Adam Erne who also was eligible that year and not exactly an uber talented guy, was the leading scorer. He wound up as a 2nd rounder.

His D+1 year is when he really shined. Most guys will se an increase in production after being drafted but he took it to a different level, outproducing Erne and everyone else by a significant clip

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
He is another Grabner type clone.
All the wheels in the world, hands and brain cant keep up all the time.

If he can dedicate himself to playing the pk and both ways, he will have at least one "breakout" year where everything clicks, he gets a ton of breakaways and scores like 30+g and 60p. It will of course be a contract year.

As a Leafs fan I was a big proponent of signing him this off season.
I thought he could be a solid 3rd line winger with Kappanen, just a ton of speed as a counterpunch line.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
He is another Grabner type clone.
All the wheels in the world, hands and brain cant keep up all the time.

If he can dedicate himself to playing the pk and both ways, he will have at least one "breakout" year where everything clicks, he gets a ton of breakaways and scores like 30+g and 60p. It will of course be a contract year.

As a Leafs fan I was a big proponent of signing him this off season.
I thought he could be a solid 3rd line winger with Kappanen, just a ton of speed as a counterpunch line.
This pretty much. And I think it is why he was told to seek out Torts as Tortorella will push him to develop that side of his game.

One of the fastest straight ahead skaters in the league. But his play away from the puck is a major issue.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
This pretty much. And I think it is why he was told to seek out Torts as Tortorella will push him to develop that side of his game.

One of the fastest straight ahead skaters in the league. But his play away from the puck is a major issue.

Yup! If he can become an above average PKer, or show he is competent in his own end, he is gonna have a long career.
Look at Grabner:
Averages: 23 goals, 37ih points
Career high of 34 with a great shooting %, and a career low of 9 over a full season.

If that is where Duclair ends up over a 10 year career, people should be happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad