Confirmed with Link: Antero Niittymaki hired as scout

starbuck97

Mar 21, 2005
Are some people actually saying that hiring a goalie scout, who has actually played goalie for the Flyers, is a bad move? Seriously?

The inbreeding when looking for management/scouts/players is the bad part. I actually loved Nitty as a player, and he might turn out to be a good scout. But just because he played professional hockey doesnt mean its a good move. I think people on here understand that. Well at least I hope they do.

By that logic, hiring Michael Leighton to scout North American goalies would be a great move.

flyingsouth

Jun 29, 2011
Sydney
The inbreeding when looking for management/scouts/players is the bad part. I actually loved Nitty as a player, and he might turn out to be a good scout. But just because he played professional hockey doesnt mean its a good move. I think people on here understand that. Well at least I hope they do.

By that logic, hiring Michael Leighton to scout North American goalies would be a great move.

But... Niity was a good goalie who was unable to stay healthy for long enough to reach his potential... Leighton has always been a crapbag... To use the schoolyard parlance, perhaps it takes one to know one... Or at LEAST the fact that Niity has a much stronger concept on what it takes to not suck places him above the MFLs of the world...

It should be interesting to see how this unfolds.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
But... Niity was a good goalie who was unable to stay healthy for long enough to reach his potential... Leighton has always been a crapbag... To use the schoolyard parlance, perhaps it takes one to know one... Or at LEAST the fact that Niity has a much stronger concept on what it takes to not suck places him above the MFLs of the world...

It should be interesting to see how this unfolds.

This plus Homer had this to say about Niitty:
You don't need to spend much time with Antero to get a feel for his knowledge of all aspects of the game, and what it takes to play at the highest level.

We believe Antero's understanding of the game will make him a good all around scout.

Regardless of what you believe Niitty wasn't hired just cause he was a former Flyer.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Well most scouts do have some type of background playing hockey at higher levels, not all of them played in the NHL but I would bet a good amount of them did at some point.

Haute Couturier

Feb 28, 2007
Philadelphia
This plus Homer had this to say about Niitty:

Regardless of what you believe Niitty wasn't hired just cause he was a former Flyer.

Don't be so naive. I have no idea whether Nitty will be a good scout or not, but there is a reason the Flyers were the first place he called when he needed a job. This is the organization that has the likes of Cote, Fedoruk, and Berube in coaching positions. They do not care about hiring the best and most credentialed people for the job. It's all about rewarding loyal soldiers.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Don't be so naive. I have no idea whether Nitty will be a good scout or not, but there is a reason the Flyers were the first place he called when he needed a job. This is the organization that has the likes of Cote, Fedoruk, and Berube in coaching positions. They do not care about hiring the best and most credentialed people for the job. It's all about rewarding loyal soldiers.

So you're assuming just because those guys were scrubs as players, means that they can't make for good coaches? You're the naive one.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
So you're assuming just because those guys were scrubs as players, means that they can't make for good coaches? You're the naive one.

I don't know anything about Cote's and Fedoruk's coaching abilities but Berube was in charge of our PK this year (which was top 5 in the league). So that has to count for something.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

This, most coaches in fact sucked as players. Btw Fedoruk is the assistant of the Titans (not exactly a real important position considering the majority of the players on the Titans aren't in the Flyers org). But great reasoning skills HC :laugh:

Additionally It's Niitty w/ two Is as well as two Ts.

Last edited:

Haute Couturier

Feb 28, 2007
Philadelphia
This, most coaches in fact sucked as players. Btw Fedoruk is the assistant of the Titans (not exactly a real important position considering the majority of the players on the Titans aren't in the Flyers org). But great reasoning skills HC :laugh:

Additionally It's Niitty w/ two Is as well as two Ts.

Tell that to Nitty.

niittymaki.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad