Confirmed with Link: Antero Niittymaki hired as scout

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Positive for me. It is nice that multiple former Flyers want to be part of the organization.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Very happy. Could be a great European scout. I've always like Antero. It's too bad that his hips went on him because he could have been a great goaltender in the league.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Good news, I'm a very big Niitty fan. I still wear his jersey on occasion but I'm not just happy he's with the organization cause I like him, I honestly think he'll make a good scout.

starbuck97

Mar 21, 2005
Cool, good to have a good Euro goalie scout.

No offense, but how do you know he's a good Euro goalie scout? He has no experience as a scout. I am so tired of the inbreeding of this team. Its as if there are no experienced, talented european goalie scouts anywhere in the world, they have to give this job to a former Flyer with no experience. This team needs to start looking for talent at every rank within the organization, and stop hiring their buddies.

I know this is a minor move, but European goaltenders are the norm in the NHL now, and the inbreeding is really getting to me.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
No offense, but how do you know he's a good Euro goalie scout? He has no experience as a scout. I am so tired of the inbreeding of this team. Its as if there are no experienced, talented european goalie scouts anywhere in the world, they have to give this job to a former Flyer with no experience. This team needs to start looking for talent at every rank within the organization, and stop hiring their buddies.

I know this is a minor move, but European goaltenders are the norm in the NHL now, and the inbreeding is really getting to me.

Nitty isnt the only European scout on the team.... Adding him wont hurt.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

How do you know he won't be? You have to start somewhere at some point. He's been around the game for a while now, I'm sure he knows a little something about what to look for in goalies.

As for your other point almost every other organization brings back their own players in some type of capacity. When hiring someone you usually go with someone you're familar with and that's with most companies not just sports organizations.

Ilkka Sinisalo is still employed as a scout in Europe for us too so it's not like Nitty will be the lone scout there.

Anyway it's way too early to make any judgements of this move but I don't see why anyone would complain right off the bat about it.

3Fs

Sep 22, 2005
Western Pa.

X-players still wanting to be a part of the team is a positive thing in my eyes. I also believe that if the Flyers didn't think he would've done a good job, he would not of been giving the opportunity.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm glad he back in the organization. Nothing wrong with another set of eyes.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ

I would go out on a limb to say that any goalie who's stuck in the NHL knows enough about what he's looking at to know a good talent when he sees it. It's not a position that you can succeed at without an at least somewhat analytical approach.

bobbyboucher24

May 9, 2002
Philadelphia, USA
Visit site
I had a beer years ago with Neil Little when both he and Niitty and Pitkanen were with the Phantoms. I asked Neil if he agreed Joni was our best prospect at the time and he disagreed, flat out gushing over Antero. Was convinced he was going to be a star.

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
I had a beer years ago with Neil Little when both he and Niitty and Pitkanen were with the Phantoms. I asked Neil if he agreed Joni was our best prospect at the time and he disagreed, flat out gushing over Antero. Was convinced he was going to be a star.

To be fair, Niitty wasn't utilized very well here. He had a great start to his career, but then 06-07 happened. Hip problems were the real killer though.

blah

Jun 24, 2003
Are some people actually saying that hiring a goalie scout, who has actually played goalie for the Flyers, is a bad move? Seriously?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad