Post-Game Talk: Another Shit Effort, Another Predictable Loss, Rinse, Repeat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The way Tavares is playing and undoubtedly will be by the end of next year im not sure he should get anymore then 2.5-3 mill max……..in any universe
Aho, Reinhardt, zuccarelo, schiefele, Meier, Braden schenn, Suzuki, eichel,… the list goes on and on of players who had 68 or less points last season (which JT is on pace for) so 2,5 3 is all they are worth? Interesting.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
McDavid led the league by 30 plus points last year, even with a 7 point night, he is 7th and 15 points behind kucherov, doesn’t seem to consistent to me

McDavid last 6 seasons has averaged over 1.5 PPG. That is consistent as they come while playing well above your competition.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
It wouldn't surprise me if Tre did it anyway, he might rate this team much higher than he should.

The best thing might be for this team to go on a brutal losing streak and miss the playoffs. That might be enough to at least get Tre thinking that perhaps signing Marner for a bajillion dollars and thereby locking in the 3 amigos with NMC's might not be the no-brainer he might think it is. And if we're sellers at the deadline, we could re-stock the cupboards, could go a long way to improving our chances of going deep over the next 5 years or so, slim as they are.
Burke over rated them. Dubas over rated them and now it’s Tre’s turn.
As much as it pains me I agree that a prolonged losing streak might be a blessing in disguise

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Aho, Reinhardt, zuccarelo, schiefele, Meier, Braden schenn, Suzuki, eichel,… the list goes on and on of players who had 68 or less points last season (which JT is on pace for) so 2,5 3 is all they are worth? Interesting.
Let’s see where he ends up this year before we talk about on pace for. Then let’s see how he plays out next year

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Burke over rated them. Dubas over rated them and now it’s Tre’s turn.
As much as it pains me I agree that a prolonged losing streak might be a blessing in disguise
I think everyone overrated them, I know I did. After we lost to WSH in the playoffs, who could have predicted only one playoff round win in the next 6 years?

At some point, you gotta wake up though, face the reality that you have a loser on your hands and stop throwing good money after bad as the old saying goes.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Lmao, you brought up pace and you said you are sure he would continue../
I think he will continue to decline and if we are going to pile another 5-7 million onto a slow declining player then we most certainly not have any success. My god the awful cap distribution is why we have had no playoff success the last 7 years. At some point we have to move along.
if you want to continue with the same core I respect that I just don’t see any path to success there

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I think he will continue to decline and if we are going to pile another 5-7 million onto a slow declining player then we most certainly not have any success. My god the awful cap distribution is why we have had no playoff success the last 7 years. At some point we have to move along.
if you want to continue with the same core I respect that I just don’t see any path to success there
As I’ve said he may well be worth 7 but not to us as we are good with the other 3 but if we could get him for 5 on a 2 year deal, we got to take that. That’s less than we are paying Bertuzzi this year.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
As I’ve said he may well be worth 7 but not to us as we are good with the other 3 but if we could get him for 5 on a 2 year deal, we got to take that. That’s less than we are paying Bertuzzi this year.
I guess time will tell. I’m hoping we are talking about the cup we just won by the time we need to decide what to do with Tavares……..I can dream

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
All I can say is when you finally say "that's it I'm over it I cannot take another minute of this horsepuckey, even though I saw it coming!"

They're going to wax the Oilers and then we will all have the assurance of renewed faith.

Why?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
All I can say is when you finally say "that's it I'm over it I cannot take another minute of this horsepuckey, even though I saw it coming!"

They're going to wax the Oilers and then we will all have the assurance of renewed faith.

Why?
I think it's entirely likely that the Leafs will win every game on this road trip, and yet we will all still be having the exact same conversations next week.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
How about I sell them to you and you don’t use them.
hey if you're gna protest by selling em cheap I gotchu haha ;)

No but seriously MLSE is smart fans cant do shit. The seats will always be filled when they're tax deductable for bigwigs.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

No but seriously MLSE is smart fans cant do shit. The seats will always be filled when they're tax deductable for bigwigs.
Not only that, once you give them up you’ll never get them back. You’d be pretty stupid to do that to make some non existent point.
It’s always the ones that don’t have them that expect others to make the sacrifice.

Reactions: Confucius

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
I wouldn’t sign Tavares for anything but league min after this contract. He is not good enough for the top 6 and I don’t want his slow ass in the bottom 6 either.

The only reason his numbers look somewhat respectable is because he’s fed sheltered offensive minutes with some of the best offensive players in the league and net front on PP1. He drives zero offence and has no foresight at all. If he gets the puck he shoot puck.

But currently he is on his lowest point and goal pace in 15 seasons. Now imagine his numbers without Marner/GigachadWilly strapped to him and PP1 time where he is useless. Next year is going to be hard to watch as if it’s not already and hasn’t been last year too.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
If you do that and give Willy his own line (not a bad idea), then Knies/Domi/Marner becomes the third line, and JT drops to the fourth?

Hmmmm.
Nah, I'd probably put Tavares with Nylander, though I guess you could put him with Marner. The point is to get both of them away from Matthews for a while, and see if not having his safety blankets wakes up Matthews. It also spreads out the offensive talent, something I said they should have tried years ago.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019

Harold Ballard knew that and now MLSE knows that, as will any future owner. So they only do things that are of interest to them, along with growing the franchise value.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
in the last 5 years has any other team in the NHL blown more f*cking leads and then lost the game than the Leafs?

somebody do the research

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Nah, I'd probably put Tavares with Nylander, though I guess you could put him with Marner. The point is to get both of them away from Matthews for a while, and see if not having his safety blankets wakes up Matthews. It also spreads out the offensive talent, something I said they should have tried years ago.
I agree with getting at least Mitch away from Matthews, but I think it's more important to get them both away from JT.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
in the last 5 years has any other team in the NHL blown more f*cking leads and then lost the game than the Leafs?

somebody do the research
Don’t have to research, we’ve got the 5th best record over the last 5 years, so I think we did pretty well.
Between January 16, 2019 and January 16, 2024,
1705384105616.png

Reactions: leafs in five
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad