Post-Game Talk: Another Loser Point.... Habs Down Leafs in OT

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
That OT goal was on Andersen for a lame poke check attempt that gave them an easy goal. Hard to fault him though because he was solid otherwise.

We're just snake bitten against the Habs. It's all the more infuriating when they've been garbage for most of the season.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The one thing that I was upset with was that there was no power play for the Leafs or penalty shot for Matthews in the overtime when he got hooked. Someone brought up the penalty shot the Islanders scored against them when Toronto defeated them 7-1 and the hook on Matthews was 100x worse than that. Plus in the 3rd period when Nylander got that high sticking penalty on Shaw when he didn't even touch his face and he faked it with his head snapping back. Finally I was also not happy with the Canadiens celebration because like others pointed out they celebrated like they won the Stanley Cup, considering it was their 14th straight win against the Leafs.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
It always looks bad when a goalie misses the poke check. It looks brilliant when it works. It can switch between results in a matter of seconds and inches.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It always looks bad when a goalie misses the poke check. It looks brilliant when it works. It can switch between results in a matter of seconds and inches.

Looked 10x worse because he bails half-way out. If he commits there is a good chance he takes out Shaw and Hyman both in the process, but likely prevents the goal.

May be the smarter decision in the long run.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
No the gimmick is completely changing the parameters of the game once 60 minutes has expired.

Both teams get a point for playing a 60 minute game to a tied score.

One team gets a bonus point for scoring a pond hockey goal or getting more goals in a breakaway contest.

In the standings the winning team gets a legitimate win. There's no asterisks. The gimmick is the loser point.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
In the standings the winning team gets a legitimate win. There's no asterisks. The gimmick is the loser point.

Ok i guess we perceive it differently. IMO deciding a winner of a game under different rules and conditions than the actual game is played, is the gimmick.

Maybe next year they can determine winners by seeing who can bounce the puck on the blade of their stick the longest.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
How was it a good idea to have JVR and Hyman out to take the draw in OT (on the play that led to the goal)? Of all the guy that could take a faceoff on the bench - this is what they come up with? Top it off with that failed poke check..... No way the game should have ended that way.

But....both MTL goals were, (AGAIN!), the result of missed assignment(s). How do you leave a guy that wide open!!!!!!!!! TWICE!!!!!!!

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
If Hyman isn't even dressed for this game he doesn't set up Matthews for the tying goal and Leafs potentially lose this game and Matthews has less goals today.

Seems some fans would be happier with that later outcome, by attempting to remove Hyman from the equation. Zach in pressbox, Leafs lose 2-1 and Matthews has 29 goals instead of 30 and no complaining about Hyman for the loss.

Events that happen during the game that don't directly effect the goals for or against are inconsequential in the big picture of winning and losing.

No question Zach is not at Matthews level, but that is likely true for every other Leafs forward also, when painting with a wide stoke brush. ;)

Wow, that's almost as misguided as someone saying we should have drafted Barzal instead of Marner at #4.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

The league can set it up on their site anyway they wish but when it comes to shootouts it's a gimmick. The game ended in a tie, one point each. The winner of the side show got a bonus gimmick point.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
The league can set it up on their site anyway they wish but when it comes to shootouts it's a gimmick. The game ended in a tie, one point each. The winner of the side show got a bonus gimmick point.

Is that how it happens in soccer?

If the final world cup game comes down to penalty kicks, do they say the winning team "won", and the losing team "tied"? "Hey, at least we didn't lose the world cup. We tied it. But the other team won."

It's insane. Utter nonsense.

The gimmick would be giving the losing team a "loser" point. THAT'S the gimmick.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
How was it a good idea to have JVR and Hyman out to take the draw in OT (on the play that led to the goal)? Of all the guy that could take a faceoff on the bench - this is what they come up with? Top it off with that failed poke check..... No way the game should have ended that way.

But....both MTL goals were, (AGAIN!), the result of missed assignment(s). How do you leave a guy that wide open!!!!!!!!! TWICE!!!!!!!

Good teams don't. And I think that is what people need to realize. Just because we are in the playoff race, in a really weak divisions, doesn't mean our team is that good. It just means most of the other teams are as bad as ours this season.

That being said, we are just starting our ascent, while the other teams are a mix of descending or just middling teams.

We still have a long way to go, but I am enjoying being in the thick of it.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Is that how it happens in soccer?

If the final world cup game comes down to penalty kicks, do they say the winning team "won", and the losing team "tied"? "Hey, at least we didn't lose the world cup. We tied it. But the other team won."

It's insane. Utter nonsense.

The gimmick would be giving the losing team a "loser" point. THAT'S the gimmick.

I only watch MLS and yes the regular season games end in ties. The championship game goes to shootouts much like the World Cup which really blows my mind.

You seem pretty entrenched with your point of view, so am I, the game ended in a tie. The shootout is not part of a hockey game, it's something done just so they can say somebody won. Could just as easily been a contest to see which goalie can score 5 times first, shooting from end to end.

Last edited:

TheMadNavigator

May 7, 2015
The Junction
In a season or two, this all won't matter as we'll be knocking on the door of the elite teams in the league.

Have faith ladies and gents, you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
I only watch MLS and yes the regular season games end in ties. The championship game goes to shootouts much like the World Cup which really blows my mind.

You seem pretty entrenched with your point of view, so am I, the game ended in a tie. The shootout is not part of a hockey game, it's something done just so they can say somebody won. Could just as easily been a contest to see which goalie can score 5 times first, shooting from end to end.

So in a soccer world cup game that ended in penalty kicks , you would say that one team won, and the other team "tied". And that somehow makes sense to you. Got it.

Uh.... agree to disagree?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad