Post-Game Talk: Another late goal, another late loss, Jets lose 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PegCityPuck

Mar 8, 2012
On the ice and helpless, but one second earlier he was whacking as hard as he could at Pavelec, so hard that he lost his balance and fell face first towards the ice. Buff was acting in response to an opponent that was taking liberties with his goalie. Suspension worthy, but it was not a random act against some defenceless victim.

Wacking at the goalie is a hockey play...what buff did wasn't a hockey play at all...face wash, sure...taking someone out in front of the net...sure. Dropping the gloves...yep. General hockey etiquette...when the guy is down you lay off...at least that's how I played. Buff really let him have it in a vicious manner. That's how it looked to me. He was going on a rampage at the end of the game too. We will just have to wait and see how it shakes out but he really hammered Miller in a violent way.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I can't defend Buff at all. That was bad and I hope he doesn't get more than two games.

We have won without him before and that's what we'll have to do now at least 3 times.

Really tried hard to avoid this place and probably will do just that until the final judgement on the season is in. We're not at that point yet.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
On the ice and helpless, but one second earlier he was whacking as hard as he could at Pavelec, so hard that he lost his balance and fell face first towards the ice. Buff was acting in response to an opponent that was taking liberties with his goalie. Suspension worthy, but it was not a random act against some defenceless victim.

I love the Jets and Buff as much as anyone, but the puck was loose and sitting on the ice in front of Pavs completely in play. Every player in hockey would be trying to put that in.

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just not going to be surprised if he's suspended.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
What Byfuglien did was wrong. I take issue with the recent precedents set by the league, and if Byfuglien is suspended for more than a game or two, the Jets have every right to give the Player Safety unit an earful if not more.

It's like a traffic cop sitting and watching a bunch of people go 120 in 100 zone and then giving someone a ticket for going 120 in a 100. Arbitrary, inconsistent BS.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

It not like Pavs was being whacked in the head or anything, he was being whacked in the pads. Do you know how hard you would have to swing at a goalies pads to actually hurt the goalie? Hard enough that it's not possible. It's an acceptable hockey play. The players are told from the time they could skate to keep playing until you hear a whistle. The puck is loose and you can swing away at it, and if you hit the goalie in the pads, so be it. You will never see a penalty called because a player swings at a loose puck and the follow thru hits the goalie in the pads.

And as for Buff, he sees the whack and doesn't like it, fine... So slash the guy in the back of the legs or take the number and crunch him later. You don't cross check a guy in the neck when he's down on the ice. Buffs just lucky he didn't hurt him... If he had hurt him badly, people would be referring to this as a "Burtuzzi" type event. Think about that. If Buff just gets a couple of games, he should thank his lucky stars.

PEGPUCK2011

May 31, 2011
What Byfuglien did was wrong. I take issue with the recent precedents set by the league, and if Byfuglien is suspended for more than a game or two, the Jets have every right to give the Player Safety unit an earful if not more.

It's like a traffic cop sitting and watching a bunch of people go 120 in 100 zone and then giving someone a ticket for going 120 in a 100. Arbitrary, inconsistent BS.

I agree. The inconsistency is what's troublesome. Byfuglien deserves what he gets but don't tell me Toffoli didn't deserve something for his crosscheck.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
What Buff did was very bad. I hope the suspension is fair and they don't make an example out of him.

The player wasn't injured and that is what has determined lengthy suspensions in the past so don't change your tune now NHL and throw the book at someone when there was no injury. (for the record I don't think injuries should play a factor but don't start with Buff)

Not sure what Buff was thinking, very dangerous and really could've done some serious damage, I think maybe he intended to him lower in the shoulder blades not in the back of the neck.

What I'm really ticked off about is how Buff is being villianized everywhere. There is a story on TSN.ca about whether Buff should face criminal charges. **** off with that ****

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yeah but that isn't borderline it's over the line. Byfuglien used a LOT of force in that cross check.

I agree Buff should get 1 maybe 2 games but that is it !!! He has NEVER been suspended before in his entire career , he is NOT A GOON !!!! he was pissed off and made a very bad play in the heat of the moment , no one on this board has ever done something stupid when they were really pissed off ??? I have , felt terrible after , every one makes mistakes !!!!:shakehead

Jml78

Dec 14, 2013
YYZ
Most of the outrage has been perpetrated by Vingneault and MSG, and others just caught on and ran with it. When Myers got cross checked in the neck, which could have been just as bad, Maurice didn't go whinging to the media after the game, looking for a suspension. Where was the outrage on that play?

seasontixholder*

Reading the TSN comments. The Habs fans want Buff's head. Pot meet Kettle. Gallagher is a dirty rat but I bet the Habs fans think he is not dirty at all.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I honestly don't see how Byfuglien's cross check on Miller is any worse than when Myers got cross checked in the throat.

And then why wasn't Toffolli given anything?

If they're gonna hand out suspensions they had better get their consistency straight. As a fan, that's all I ask for.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
I honestly don't see how Byfuglien's cross check on Miller is any worse than when Myers got cross checked in the throat.

And then why wasn't Toffolli given anything?

If they're gonna hand out suspensions they had better get their consistency straight. As a fan, that's all I ask for.

Yup, Buff deserves a suspension but so do those other guys who received nothing. The one against Myers was just as bad and nothing came of that.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Maybe if we give Buff an LA jersey to wear, he'll get off with a stern talking to.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I really don't care what they do with Buff. This team needs to re-discover its team defense. To win with any consistancy you need to be allowing 2 or less goals per game.

Hopefully this latest drama will inspire the team, and they can pick up the intensity. They need something, as clearly the status quo was going to result in missing the playoffs.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I really don't care what they do with Buff. This team needs to re-discover its team defense. To win with any consistancy you need to be allowing 2 or less goals per game.

Hopefully this latest drama will inspire the team, and they can pick up the intensity. They need something, as clearly the status quo was going to result in missing the playoffs.

Exactly. We were winning games lacking almost all of our top D. It was the system and the style of play that got us through those games and we need to get back to that.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I think losing Buff for a few games will be a good thing for us. Maybe a blessing in disguise. It really seems like this team can't function properly unless it has some issue or dilemma to rally around. Every time we get anything close to our full line-up on the ice we seem to fall apart. Its like the team needs something to force focus and cohesion...

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
Reading the TSN comments. The Habs fans want Buff's head. Pot meet Kettle. Gallagher is a dirty rat but I bet the Habs fans think he is not dirty at all.

Gallagher has never done anything remotely close to Byfuglien's cross-check on Miller. He does not play a mean game. Brad Marchand who would be a better example of a player who is out to injure.

Byfuglien also weighs about 90 lbs more than Gallagher. He's going kill somebody one day unless he learns some self-control.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Exactly. We were winning games lacking almost all of our top D. It was the system and the style of play that got us through those games and we need to get back to that.

Don't forget our goaltending, it was a bigger reason than the system or style of play.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Gallagher has never done anything remotely close to Byfuglien's cross-check on Miller. He does not play a mean game. Brad Marchand who would be a better example of a player who is out to injure.

Byfuglien also weighs about 90 lbs more than Gallagher. He's going kill somebody one day unless he learns some self-control.

Thanks for visiting. Please do back to your own board.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Wow , sure can tell all you've seen of Jets games are highlights once in a blue moon !!!! Because if you watched Jets games you would know that this was a first !!! Buff isn't dirty , his hits are clean !!! Man haters will always hate I guarantee if Buff was a Ranger (big US market ) he would only get a fine just like Tiffolli from LA !!!:shakehead:rant:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

They need to get tiny players out of the NHL before they get hurt by one of the big guys. I think they should have a height and weight rule like for carnival rides, for their own safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad