Prospect Info: Annual HFDevils Prospect Rankings #11

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Wedgewood is outrageously inconsistent, don't let a few good games at the end of the season skew your interpretation of him.

Going with Lappin. Not the most talented, safest, most polished, or highest ceiling player left but he's above average in all those areas and IMO the most "complete" prospect on the list.

Wedge had a great season. It was the first even good pro season for him, but it was a full season of high level play.

But agree the one season does not get my vote here.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I went Maltsev. Hoping the injury this year was more fluke then an issue. Like his high end potential more then the 3rd rounders.

I maybe should have gone Lappin, I think he is right there and has a chance to be an NHL goal scorer.

The draftees especially my guy with the injury concern, need a lot to go there way, but again I do like the high end potential and my vote is in.

Edit: For my add I'll go Kujo. Physical tools are there, the highlights are impressive, just needs some #'s. Expanded role this season could help see that happen.

Bratt, is my next add, potential late round steal.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
did someone write that lappin was underwhelming during camp? not trying to stuff our prospects, but a conversation topic

I feel like I remember reading that as well but I can't be sure.

I don't really get the Lappin love. It seems a lot like the Lorito situation last year. Yeah, he might make the team as a 4th line energy guy. Meanwhile Rykov, Maltsev, Gignac, Anderson, etc. can all be top 9 guys. They have a lot higher potential. Not sure what he's done to wow everyone that much? Same with Coleman and Pietila. Low ceilings and still not overly impressive.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
did someone write that lappin was underwhelming during camp? not trying to stuff our prospects, but a conversation topic

I wouldn't expect him to look good in a 3-on-3 tournament. He's a lot like Clarkson in that he's very opportunistic, but he gets to pucks, creates chances, and is always where the puck is. I could see him developing into a useful bottom-six forward because of that.

In one of the videos posted to youtube, he had a really nice play where he slipped it through Jacobs' legs and went backhand-forehand on Blackwood.

I feel like I remember reading that as well but I can't be sure.

I don't really get the Lappin love. It seems a lot like the Lorito situation last year. Yeah, he might make the team as a 4th line energy guy. Meanwhile Rykov, Maltsev, Gignac, Anderson, etc. can all be top 9 guys. They have a lot higher potential. Not sure what he's done to wow everyone that much? Same with Coleman and Pietila. Low ceilings and still not overly impressive.

I think Lappin has Clarkson-like potential, not the thirty goal scorer that was a lot of luck. He's also very close to realizing it as well, whereas guys like Gignac/Anderson are five years younger then him. By the time they are his age, they have just as much of a chance to realize that top 9 potential you reference as they do to end up as an AHL forward.

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ
Miles Wood likely tops out as a 3rd liner but he went 6th.

I don't understand all the Lappin hate here. Putting up 8 goals and 14 points in 23 games after just graduating is very impressive. You guys are seriously under rating his performance here. He was also a Hobey Baker nominee which is something as well.

And the Matt Lorito comparison is completely off base. Lorito was an undersized 5'9 skill player. Lappin is an energetic, crash and bang forward with some skill and a big body. You guys watch, he very well may be on the team next year.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Miles Wood likely tops out as a 3rd liner but he went 6th.

I don't understand all the Lappin hate here. Putting up 8 goals and 14 points in 23 games after graduating is very impressive. You guys are seriously under rating Jos performance here. He was also a Hobey Baker nominee which is something as well.

And the Matt Lorito comparison is completely off base. Lorito was an undersized 5'9 skill player. Lappin is an energetic, crash and bang forward with some skill and a big body. You guys watch, he very well may be on the team next year.

Miles Wood has Chris Kreider potential. Both are extremely big and fast skaters. Miles' shot isn't as good but that comparison isn't too off base. Wood can be a 2/3 winger that is a nightmare to play against. I wouldn't pencil him as a 3rd line potential, I think he has mid-six power forward potential and still pretty young.

As for Lappin, I don't think 14 pts in 23 games is anything to scoff at but a a lot of players on that Albany team produced at a similar pace. I guess the point is he's 23 turning 24 this season and while he can develop into something late, he's really not all that special. I get he has a "big body" at 6'1" but he's only 175 and that's a small guy for his height. I can't see him any higher than a 4th liner.

Also, I brought Loritio up because he was a new ALbany toy who played well from Brown and some wanted to give him a shot in the NHL. Similar scenario, not player.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Miles Wood has Chris Kreider potential. Both are extremely big and fast skaters. Miles' shot isn't as good but that comparison isn't too off base. Wood can be a 2/3 winger that is a nightmare to play against. I wouldn't pencil him as a 3rd line potential, I think he has mid-six power forward potential and still pretty young.

As for Lappin, I don't think 14 pts in 23 games is anything to scoff at but a a lot of players on that Albany team produced at a similar pace. I guess the point is he's 23 turning 24 this season and while he can develop into something late, he's really not all that special. I get he has a "big body" at 6'1" but he's only 175 and that's a small guy for his height. I can't see him any higher than a 4th liner.

Also, I brought Loritio up because he was a new ALbany toy who played well from Brown and some wanted to give him a shot in the NHL. Similar scenario, not player.

The problem is it's not really similar.

They're plenty of undersized creative forwards like Lorito that dominate in the AHL yet aren't good enough for a top-six role and underutilized beneath that in the NHL.

If a guy Lappin's size and his playing style does well in the NHL, he stands a much greater chance of being a useful NHL player because he can play a role in the NHL that does not need to be a scoring role. Lappin could easily adjust his game to be a fourth line player who can chip in the occasional goal and maybe even be used in a Clarkson PP role at the same time. Lorito likely would not be effective on the third or fourth lines the way he plays.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Not sure why Lappin is getting votes. He doesn't have ANY type of future other than a 3rd or 4th line guy.

Giggsy and Anderson have top 6 upside.

Lappin has bottom 6 upside and he doesn't have a NHL floor either. He could easily top out as an AHL forward.

What is this based off? He has a very nice two way player with an excellent shot that excels at board work. He got a point on 44% of Brown's goals in 2016, and was playing over 0.5 PPG in the AHL, which is not easy for a player with no pro experience. He also averaged 3.8 shots a game throughout his college career, which is a great sign for a forward.

Here are some scouting reports:

Nick Lappin has developed into one of the most reliable point producers in the ECAC.....Lappin is a 6’1â€, 180-pound smooth-skating winger who thinks the game very well. He is smart and knows what to do with the puck when it is on his stick. He has a great nose for the net, outstanding finishing ability, and can play both wings equally well.....While Lappin is known more for his offensive prowess, he also is defensively responsible, and the balance he has struck between the two has allowed him to develop into a more complete player that can effectively play all three zones.
Hockey's Future

A sniper, Lappin has an excellent shot and lightning quick release. He also has the soft hands to finish plays in tight, whether those be via tip-in or deflection. Lappin can also play the role of playmaker. He stickhandles well and uses his frame to protect the puck, extending plays on the cycle and then firing a pass to a teammate.
Last Word On Sports

Lappin is a versatile forward who battles hard and has skill to go along with it. He's got quick hands and a deceptive shot. Lappin plays a dependable two-way game with speed and energy. He's strong away from the puck and can use his speed as an asset.
Dobber Prospects

Not sure why you guys are pigeonholing him as some kind of grinder.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
What is this based off? He has a very nice two way player with an excellent shot that excels at board work. He got a point on 44% of Brown's goals in 2016, and was playing over 0.5 PPG in the AHL, which is not easy for a player with no pro experience. He also averaged 3.8 shots a game throughout his college career, which is a great sign for a forward.

Here are some scouting reports:

Not sure why you guys are pigeonholing him as some kind of grinder.

He is a better skating Clarkson, stylistically.

Simple as that. Clarkson had similar useful tools that Lappin had, where both have enough skill to create offensively and beat defenders/goalies when the time comes.

I like that Lappin has a little extra than the average grinder you find. He has a knack for finishing which is what you want to see. I still think Wood ends up as more of a Chimera type than Krieder, but at the same time, he will have the blistering speed to go along with a large body that few bottom-six players have. I would love to see a Wood-Coleman-Lappin fourth line, maybe it could be a modern-day Crash Line.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Based on my perception of the remaining skill I went with Maltsev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad