Prospect Info: Annual Devils Prospect Rankings #3

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Since the Draft is over, thought no better time to do one of these. Same as always, vote in the poll as well as post in the comments to add a player to the list. We will do one Poll per day, each coming around the same time

#1. Pavel Zacha [80/89 Votes = 88.89%] (Added Coleman/Boucher/Matteau)
#2. Steve Santinti [65/92 Votes = 70.65$](Added Speers)

172020685_slide.jpg

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I'll go with the mighty Boosh, but he must step it up this year, whether that's in the AHL or NHL.

Add Kerfoot

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Still going Quenneville even if it is laughable :)

Good pedigree, plays what I believe to be transferable pro style game, high certainty to make the NHL and appears to be a big game performer.

JQ!

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Boucher, becoming way too underappreciated around here after a season with some bad puck luck (Boucher actually had a higher shots per game in 14-15 with 2.77 than in 13-14 with 2.61).

He has 37 goals in his first 118 AHL games, which is an average of 25 over an 82 game season, all done an a pretty poor offensive team. He scored at a 30 goal pace in his rookie AHL season. And let's not forget 62 in his second OHL season.

Not sure why he's being so written off after only 34 NHL games and still being 21 years old.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Boucher, becoming way too underappreciated around here after a season with some bad puck luck (Boucher actually had a higher shots per game in 14-15 with 2.77 than in 13-14 with 2.61).

He has 37 goals in his first 118 AHL games, which is an average of 25 over an 82 game season, all done an a pretty poor offensive team. He scored at a 30 goal pace in his rookie AHL season. And let's not forget 62 in his second OHL season.

Not sure why he's being so written off after only 34 NHL games and still being 21 years old.

I am definitely not writing him off, I've argued his value multiple times, I just don't think he is our 3rd best prospect.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Still going Quenneville even if it is laughable :)

Good pedigree, plays what I believe to be transferable pro style game, high certainty to make the NHL and appears to be a big game performer.

JQ!

I don't think it's laughable at all and I 100% agree with you.

Boucher is my next pick after JQ.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Lackluster AHL production + unimpressive time in NHL.

It's nice that he gets shots off in Albany, but shouldn't a sniper be able to bury those oppurtunities at a higher rate then he did?

Not writing him off, but I can't help but temper expectations.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I guess I have to stick matteau here right? That's how this works?

Or should I, seeing that he has little shot at coming in at 3(or top5 even) vote for someone more likely to finish in this spot?

Wonder if it would be more accurate if we all did 1-10's and then take the composite of that?

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I guess I have to stick matteau here right? That's how this works?

Or should I, seeing that he has little shot at coming in at 3(or top5 even) vote for someone more likely to finish in this spot?

Wonder if it would be more accurate if we all did 1-10's and then take the composite of that?

but that takes sooooooooooooo much effort

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Lackluster AHL production + unimpressive time in NHL.

It's nice that he gets shots off in Albany, but shouldn't a sniper be able to bury those oppurtunities at a higher rate then he did?

Not writing him off, but I can't help but temper expectations.

A 25 goal pace through two AHL seasons is not lackluster production by any means, especially given the current scoring environment in the AHL and the lack of overall scoring on Albany. Most top scorers in the AHL are also AHL vets. Not many guys can score as many as Boucher at his age.

Good snipers can go through dry spells where nothing goes in. If they're still creating chances and shots, which Boucher was, they're likely suffering from some bad luck.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
A 25 goal pace through two AHL seasons is not lackluster production by any means, especially given the current scoring environment in the AHL and the lack of overall scoring on Albany. Most top scorers in the AHL are also AHL vets. Not many guys can score as many as Boucher at his age.

Good snipers can go through dry spells where nothing goes in. If they're still creating chances and shots, which Boucher was, they're likely suffering from some bad luck.

Boucher had 15 goals in 62 games.

Sislo had 20 in 65.

Matteau has 12 in 61(both had 15 assists). Matteau actually scored more ES goals (8-7). And we all talk as though he has yet to produce at all. not to mention he is younger then bouch.

Scott Timmins scored at a similar goal pace as Boucher last year.

Paul Thompson notched 33 goals.

the idea that no one was scoring in Albany specifically or the AHL in general is not accurate.

Not trying to kill bouch here, but as Jim noted, we are asking if he is our 3rd best prospect. I think the case is pretty strong that he is not.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

The problem with Boucher is what is his role?

He's the type of player that needs to play with skilled players. So he needs to be very good at what he does so he doesn't get passed up by guys like Zubrus or Frolik that offer things when they are not scoring.

Boucher needs to be a perennial 20 goal scorer. He doesn't have the luxury like Matteau where if his scoring doesn't work out, he can play third or fourth line. That, to me, is a serious knock on a prospect.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Boucher had 15 goals in 62 games.

Sislo had 20 in 65.

Matteau has 12 in 61(both had 15 assists). Matteau actually scored more ES goals (8-7). And we all talk as though he has yet to produce at all. not to mention he is younger then bouch.

Scott Timmins scored at a similar goal pace as Boucher last year.

Paul Thompson notched 33 goals.

the idea that no one was scoring in Albany specifically or the AHL in general is not accurate.

Not trying to kill bouch here, but as Jim noted, we are asking if he is our 3rd best prospect. I think the case is pretty strong that he is not.

Why are you comparing a 21-year old Boucher to a 27-year old Mike Sislo or 26-year old Paul Thompson and Scott Timmins? As I said, the AHL scoring leaders are by and large AHL veterans. There are not many 20 to 21-year olds doing what Boucher does.

Why are you also only focusing on his 14-15 season? Boucher scored 22 goals in 56 games in 13-14, which was a 30-goal pace over a full season.

Boucher produced 70 more shots than Matteau last year. They've both played a similar amount of AHL games and Boucher has 37 goals compared to 25 for Matteau. I'm not sure this comparison looks favorable for you. Matteau is also only younger by five months (interesting you care about a five month age disparity more than five years).

The AHL has become a defensive/goaltending league. There were only two 30-goal scorers last year. There were 14 goalies with a save percentage of .920+ and 25 at .915+. The idea that the AHL is low scoring is very accurate.

Last edited:

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
The problem with Boucher is what is his role?

He's the type of player that needs to play with skilled players. So he needs to be very good at what he does so he doesn't get passed up by guys like Zubrus or Frolik that offer things when they are not scoring.

Boucher needs to be a perennial 20 goal scorer. He doesn't have the luxury like Matteau where if his scoring doesn't work out, he can play third or fourth line. That, to me, is a serious knock on a prospect.

I don't know where Boucher slots in right now, but on a team that seems willing to hand Josefson a 2nd line role, I think Boucher should be allright for now as far as role goes.

If Boucher gets to game 100 and still is struggling, I'll admit he's probably a lost cause. But not after 34 NHL games from ages 20 to 21 on the fourth line.

What's amusing to me is that people value JQ, who has had a disappointing junior career thus far, ahead of a player who has actually produced professionally. Being able to produce in the AHL is a massive hurdle, and Boucher conquered it at 20. The odds that JQ will be a top nine NHL player are much lower than Boucher right now.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Over 2 seasons, Matteau and Bouch have the same # of ES goals. And though not listed, I assume Matteau has more ES assists.

Also could be argued that while Bouch was snake bit last year as seen by his shooting % below 10, the year b4 his shooting % was at 15, and thus that season was a bit lucky.

Matteau is also much bigger, and uses that physicality, has looked to be a faster skater, is known to bring more intangibles to the table, and is little bit younger.

So If the question is who is the better prospect, I'm leaning Matteau.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't know where Boucher slots in right now, but on a team that seems willing to hand Josefson a 2nd line role, I think Boucher should be allright for now as far as role goes.

If Boucher gets to game 100 and still is struggling, I'll admit he's probably a lost cause. But not after 34 NHL games from ages 20 to 21 on the fourth line.

What's amusing to me is that people value JQ, who has had a disappointing junior career thus far, ahead of a player who has actually produced professionally. Being able to produce in the AHL is a massive hurdle, and Boucher conquered it at 20. The odds that JQ will be a top nine NHL player are much lower than Boucher right now.

The thing is Quenneville still safely slots as a third line center or wing. Boucher doesn't have that floor at all.

Josefson getting an opportunity to play a top six role is not that same as him realistically slotting there. Boucher will definitely get an opportunity to play a top six role but if he doesn't fit there, where does he go?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Why are you comparing a 21-year old Boucher to a 27-year old Mike Sislo or 26-year old Paul Thompson and Scott Timmins? As I said, the AHL scoring leaders are by and large AHL veterans. There are not many 20 to 21-year olds doing what Boucher does.

Why are you also only focusing on his 14-15 season? He score 22 goals in 56 games in 13-14, which was a 30-goal pace over a full season.

The AHL has become a defensive/goaltending league. There were only two 30-goal scorers last year. There were 14 goalies with a save percentage of .920+ and 25 at .915+.

This is the Truth.

People seeing 15 goal this season as a negative are not taking into consideration the league and the team...Albany like NJ, was one of the lowest scoring teams in the league on top of all that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad