Prospect Info: Annual Detroit Red Wings Prospect Ranking!!! #4!!!!!!

Who is Detroit’s #4 prospect?

• Shai Buium - LD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Liam Dower-Nilsson - C/W

• Anton Johansson - RD

• Dylan James - W

• Total voters

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Frankly, I'm ashamed that it took until #4. Hi, Hi, Little Sebastian. Wishing for you in the happiest fashion.

• Love
Reactions: Realgud

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
The way that I approach these rankings is, how would other GMs value these prospects in trade talks? From that perspective, I easily think it goes, 1. Edvinsson 2. Kasper 3. Cossa
Honestly, I do the same thing but I've dropped Cossa to 5. While he played well this year, he didn't really seem to progress as far as I could tell. I think he has really high upside, but I'm really unsure of how likely he is to make it at all.

On the other hand, Berggren and Johansson both have high upside, and are trending to be decent NHL players, if not more. I saw more growth from them this year than Cossa.

That being said, scouting goalies is hard and if you convinced me that Cossa got a lot better at preventing pucks from slipping through his body this year, and he struggled with things he typically does well because he was focused on refining his game, then I'd bump him back up.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
What makes Soderblom's 33 points in 52 games last year more significant than Berggren's 45 points in 49 games the year prior at the same age? Followed up by 64 in 70 in the AHL.

I think we have a tendency to overstate how impressive our prospects are, and that's fine, but now you're overrating the accomplishments of certain prospects relative to others internally.
I am not looking at just points. I have never seen a 6'8, 250lbs player, with the skating and stickhandling of Soderblom. It's also about the progress he has made the last three years.

We are ranking them how good we believe they will be, and not good they are right now, right? I believe Soderblom will be a better player.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Results for a 19 years old goalie don't matter much to GMs. Their physical attributes do. His trade value is probably much higher than most people think.
I need to know what the development plan is for Cossa from here. Normally I am fine with sending high profile picks back to Juniors. But I really don't like the idea of sending Cossa back to a league where he has posted a +.920 and +.940 SV% before.

Seems like he could be in over his head playing in the AHL. Do they look to have him play in Europe?

I would really like to know how they plan to handle the next 2 years with him to help him realize his potential.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
I need to know what the development plan is for Cossa from here. Normally I am fine with sending high profile picks back to Juniors. But I really don't like the idea of sending Cossa back to a league where he has posted a +.920 and +.940 SV% before.

Seems like he could be in over his head playing in the AHL. Do they look to have him play in Europe?

I would really like to know how they plan to handle the next 2 years with him to help him realize his potential.
Yep, I won't claim to know what's the best development path for him but I do think he's over the WHL atm. Will be curious to see what they do with him.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

Sounds to me like he's destined for the Dub again this season. Everything is pointing in that direction (the interview where he said he was prepared for that, what the Wings have and have not said, and the other goalies signed in the system).

After this season he's out of junior eligibility and then he'll almost certainly go to GR the following season; Europe just doesn't make any sense for his development, mainly because you'd be jerking him around in terms of shooting angles and positioning. 'Here, play your whole life on the small ice, then go play a single season on large ice that you're unfamiliar with, and then we'll bring you back to the small ice hoping you'll soon be ready for the NHL.' Lol. Not saying you were suggesting that, but I think it's outside the realm of realistic possibilities.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Sounds to me like he's destined for the Dub again this season. Everything is pointing in that direction (the interview where he said he was prepared for that, what the Wings have and have not said, and the other goalies signed in the system).

After this season he's out of junior eligibility and then he'll almost certainly go to GR the following season; Europe just doesn't make any sense for his development, mainly because you'd be jerking him around in terms of shooting angles and positioning. 'Here, play your whole life on the small ice, then go play a single season on large ice that you're unfamiliar with, and then we'll bring you back to the small ice hoping you'll soon be ready for the NHL.' Lol. Not saying you were suggesting that, but I think it's outside the realm of realistic possibilities.

Europe has produced some of the best goalie coaches in the world. Particularly Finland, who were responsible for producing some pretty good goalies in the 00's and 10's.

Goran Stubb from NHL CSB has stated that Finland has the best goalie coaches but many of them left Liiga to go to the KHL, which is why we're seeing such big improvements in Russian/KHL goaltending.

@Henkka , back me up here.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Europe has produced some of the best goalie coaches in the world. Particularly Finland, who were responsible for producing some pretty good goalies in the 00's and 10's.

Goran Stubb from NHL CSB has stated that Finland has the best goalie coaches but many of them left Liiga to go to the KHL, which is why we're seeing such big improvements in Russian/KHL goaltending.

@Henkka , back me up here.
I'm not questioning European goaltending talent, or the coaching they have there. Just saying it's not a good idea to send a NA goalie in the throes of his development onto international-sized ice for a season in the middle of it all. Skaters can adjust to that more easily, but I'd be worried my goalie prospect would lose more than he'd gain.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'm not questioning European goaltending talent, or the coaching they have there. Just saying it's not a good idea to send a NA goalie in the throes of his development onto international-sized ice for a season in the middle of it all. Skaters can adjust to that more easily, but I'd be worried my goalie prospect would lose more than he'd gain.

I wouldn't worry about it, my dude.

WEB-NHL-vs.-olympic940.jpg

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I wouldn't worry about it, my dude.

View attachment 579533
I'm not sure what Team Canada's success on international ice over many decades and across different generations of the game of hockey has to do with the development of a 19yo goalie prospect who needs to work on some technical aspects of his game and shouldn't be learning new shooting angles only to unlearn them a year later lol.

Goalie development is a very slow burn. Sending him to Europe seems knee-jerky and panicky to me. Unnecessary and risky.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It’s all about getting him playing against the right level of competition, IMO.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
It’s all about getting him playing against the right level of competition, IMO.
That's a fair point, but then to me it's simply juniors vs AHL. The A appears to be ruled out. And if the Wings don't want him starting the season in GR, then it makes even less sense to send him to Europe, imo. I believe they have determined that juniors is the appropriate place for him to play right now.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'm not sure what Team Canada's success on international ice over many decades and across different generations of the game of hockey has to do with the development of a 19yo goalie prospect who needs to work on some technical aspects of his game and shouldn't be learning new shooting angles only to unlearn them a year later lol.

Goalie development is a very slow burn. Sending him to Europe seems knee-jerky and panicky to me. Unnecessary and risky.

Ignore the text. I’m just saying the dimensions of the rink shouldn’t impact his goaltending much.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Ignore the text. I’m just saying the dimensions of the rink shouldn’t impact his goaltending much.
It might not affect him at all. Might really mess with him. Might be somewhere in between. The margin for error at the highest level is so small it's just not worth it. It's one thing for a Euro goalie to transition to NA ice when he eventually comes over, it's another thing to go from one size to another and then back again, all within a year while at the height of your development. Common shooting angles and lanes are different between the two rink sizes. Why throw a mental monkey wrench into the situation?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Either way Cossa's a goalie and largely irrelevant. Just focus on not being a dumpster fire and that'll do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad