Prospect Info: Annual Detroit Red Wings Prospect Ranking! #2!!!

Who is Detroit's #2 ranked prospect?

• Albert Johansson - LD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carter Mazur - W

• Shai Buium - LD

• Donovan Sebrango - LD

• Total voters

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Voted Kasper, mostly off of trust in the European scouting. I still do not personally have a great feel for what his NHL projection is, as of yet.

Who do people like better between Dower Nilsson and Niederbach at the moment? The answer to that would be my add for next round, I'm thinking.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Voted Kasper, mostly off of trust in the European scouting. I still do not personally have a great feel for what his NHL projection is, as of yet.

Who do people like better between LDN and Niederbach at the moment?

LDN by a mile. Bigger, faster, better, stronger. I think you'll be impressed by him this year in the SHL.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Seriously? I'm the only Berggren voter?
looser

Kasper

Add LDN (London)

Who do people like better between Dower Nilsson and Niederbach at the moment? The answer to that would be my add for next round, I'm thinking.

LDN by a mile. Bigger, faster, better, stronger. I think you'll be impressed by him this year in the SHL.
London, but not by that much. I had them pretty close a few weeks ago. But Niederbach looked very meh in WJC, and London is having a notable preseason, so he pulls ahead for me.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
After Edvinsson, I think that most of our prospects have fairly high potential, but a few warts that makes them very unlikely to hit it. While to me Kasper's ceiling isn't any higher than guys like Berggren, Johansson, Wallinder, Cossa, etc, he's just way more likely to be at least a decent player than anyone else. I don't love voting on floor, but I think that's really what separates Kasper from the rest of our prospects.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
After Edvinsson, I think that most of our prospects have fairly high potential, but a few warts that makes them very unlikely to hit it. While to me Kasper's ceiling isn't any higher than guys like Berggren, Johansson, Wallinder, Cossa, etc, he's just way more likely to be at least a decent player than anyone else. I don't love voting on floor, but I think that's really what separates Kasper from the rest of our prospects.
I do not have a good feel for what Kasper’s ceiling is. Could be way higher than I’m thinking. Or could be lower, in which case I suggest everyone hunt down Ogee man-hunt style.

Reactions: Realgud

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Make your case.

The case for Berggren:

In 2018 Berggren was in the discussion for a top 15 and top 20 pick by some pundits after a great J20 season in Skelleftea. He fell to the early 2nd round and was a steal of a pick at that spot.

2018-19 and 2019-20 were write off seasons for him due to injuries. He played a combined 40 SHL games and had 15 points. Not terrible, all things considered, but you hope for better.
2020-21 Berggren finally broke out in the SHL and was 7th in league scoring while playing 3rd line minutes. He changed his game to play a lot more from the inside rather than the perimeter which was his reputation in his draft year.
2021-22 Berggren sets the record for rookie scoring on the griffins and finishes 2nd in AHL rookie scoring, and 12th overall in league scoring. He does away with the concerns that he's too soft for the North American game and generally looks like he could have been a Detroit Red Wing for most of the season.

He's a terrific skater. I've been saying for the past 2 seasons that if he were on Detroit he would be a top 3 skater on the team right up there with Vrana and Larkin. When he played in Skelleftea he was used as his team's escape valve. The simple strategy was, "get the puck to Berggren and he'll make something happen."

Berggren is also probably the best passer and stickhandler amongst Detroit's prospects. On the team right now I think the only two players who are better passers than him are Seider and Raymond. He'll make a living as a playmaker but Berggren has also improved his shot from just OK to turning it into a strength.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

The one that scores.

looser

Kasper

Add LDN (London)

London, but not by that much. I had them pretty close a few weeks ago. But Niederbach looked very meh in WJC, and London is having a notable preseason, so he pulls ahead for me.
White Cliffs of Dower (how it's pronounced)

I do not have a good feel for what Kasper’s ceiling is. Could be way higher than I’m thinking. Or could be lower, in which case I suggest everyone hunt down Ogee man-hunt style.
Kasper could conceivably be a Larkin clone ceiling wise.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The first 2 were easy choices, 3 is where it might start to get interesting. But even at 3 I think Berggren probably gets an easy majority

Reactions: lilidk

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

The case for Kasper:

2018-19 and 2019-20 Kasper was an offensive dynamo in the Austrian EBJL. He even got a cup of coffeet in the AlpsHL for Klagenfurt/KAC-II.
2020-21 moves to Rogle and got a cup of coffee in the SHL. His first SHL point was an assist on a Moritz Seider goal.
2021-22 is a full timer on Rogle's senior team and gets 11 points in 46 regular season games as well as 2 goals and 6 points in 12 CHL games where Rogle won the gold. 3 goals and 6 points in 13 postseason games where he really stepped up his game and tilted the ice in his team's favor whenever he was on. Was also the youngest player at the World Championships this year. While he didn't have as offensively dominant a performance as fellow draftee Juraj Slafkovsky, Kasper played a solid 2-way game for an outmatched Austrian team.

What I like about Kasper's game is the combination of skating, defensive acumen, tenacity, and work ethic. It's easy to see his floor as a really tough to play against 3rd line center. He's also willing to play physical, get in the corners and battle for the puck and makes smart and safe plays to maintain possession. I think there's more offense to Kasper's game than he's shown but it will make a world of difference to his game if he's paired with more offensively inclined wingers like Raymond and Berggren.

As for his ceiling, a guy that is a speedy, defensively responsible top line center. Maybe Ryan O'Reilly. Maybe Dylan Larkin. He's got a really high floor as well. Like I said before I can see him also turning into a guy like Eriksson-Ekk, Danault or Pageau. I don't think there's a high bust probability with this pick, but I think it will require more patience than Raymond, Seider and Edvinsson to see how he can turn out.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Cossa is #1 on ceiling alone imo but it's fine if people want to vote on floor first (or a mix of both obviously).

Oh and please add Buchelnikov, wtf is this 😭

:D
Goalies have lower ceilings than skaters. In the end all they can do is delay a loss. You have to control the ice in front of them (all the way to the boards on the other end).

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Goalies have lower ceilings than skaters. In the end all they can do is delay a loss. You have to control the ice in front of them (all the way to the boards on the other end).
I mean... kinda? If you want to go that way, sure lol but I think a goalie can carry your team and plays 60 minutes... so, I dunno about that. You're not necessarily wrong but the goalie overall has a bigger impact I'd say. But anyway, this is just compared to other goalies. I think it's his ceiling vs other goalies which I think is franchise level high.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
N
I mean... kinda? If you want to go that way, sure lol but I think a goalie can carry your team and plays 60 minutes... so, I dunno about that. You're not necessarily wrong but the goalie overall has a bigger impact I'd say. But anyway, this is just compared to other goalies. I think it's his ceiling vs other goalies which I think is franchise level high.
No, that's fine if you view Cossa at the top of goalie ranks. No issue with that.

I just personally don't view goalies as the be all end all. Without help all they can do is delay the inevitable. Not having a bad goalie is more important than having a great goalie. Just stop what you're supposed to stop. If the team in front of you can control the ice, that's all that'll be asked of you. See Osgood, Chris.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
N

No, that's fine if you view Cossa at the top of goalie ranks. No issue with that.

I just personally don't view goalies as the be all end all. Without help all they can do is delay the inevitable. Not having a bad goalie is more important than having a great goalie. Just stop what you're supposed to stop. If the team in front of you can control the ice, that's all that'll be asked of you. See Osgood, Chris.
That's totally fair. Anyway, I'm not going Cossa just because "goalie". It's just that I think his ceiling relative to other players at his position is very very high. But I see what you mean.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Kasper easily for me here.

Who is your pick? DISCUSS!

1. Simon Edvinsson - LD
2. YOU CHOOSE!
What is the order of this poll? Get your biases outta here and make it alphabetical or something

looser

Kasper

Add LDN (London)

Actors & Actresses Rankdowns 2.0 (Winner Posted) - Page 156 - Rankdowns -  idolforums.com

I don't know how I feel about Berggren, It's kind of like I won't believe it until I see it with him (I felt the same about Raymond... and somehow I'm still not 100% in on Raymond tbh). I might vote for him anywhere from 3 to 7

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
The case for Berggren:

In 2018 Berggren was in the discussion for a top 15 and top 20 pick by some pundits after a great J20 season in Skelleftea. He fell to the early 2nd round and was a steal of a pick at that spot.

2018-19 and 2019-20 were write off seasons for him due to injuries. He played a combined 40 SHL games and had 15 points. Not terrible, all things considered, but you hope for better.
2020-21 Berggren finally broke out in the SHL and was 7th in league scoring while playing 3rd line minutes. He changed his game to play a lot more from the inside rather than the perimeter which was his reputation in his draft year.
2021-22 Berggren sets the record for rookie scoring on the griffins and finishes 2nd in AHL rookie scoring, and 12th overall in league scoring. He does away with the concerns that he's too soft for the North American game and generally looks like he could have been a Detroit Red Wing for most of the season.

He's a terrific skater. I've been saying for the past 2 seasons that if he were on Detroit he would be a top 3 skater on the team right up there with Vrana and Larkin. When he played in Skelleftea he was used as his team's escape valve. The simple strategy was, "get the puck to Berggren and he'll make something happen."

Berggren is also probably the best passer and stickhandler amongst Detroit's prospects. On the team right now I think the only two players who are better passers than him are Seider and Raymond. He'll make a living as a playmaker but Berggren has also improved his shot from just OK to turning it into a strength.

Go toss him a vote on the polls page. There's a top 50 prospects poll going on, it's at #38 and he only has a handful of votes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad