Annoying TV commercials during Stanley Cup playoffs - US and Canada

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
"Please, Quest Trade is EASY!"

(subtext: my brother who doesn't use Quest Trade is a total and absolute moron!)

"You're not still using Mom and Dad's guy, are you?"

(subtext: I pity your stupidity even though we're related, plus boomers are funny and out of touch)

They try so hard to make it seem ominous that someone would dare not to use Questtrade, and it just comes across as annoying and condescending. Especially when you see the same ad every ten minutes or so.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
"now this, is where I want to retire"

"retiring already?"

"Getting there"

1714061889634.png

Dude would not be invited back

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
We might have a winner already for the most annoying

Tony Hand is actually doing a lot of damage to his career with these ads. Hope the money is worth becoming a guy everyone instantly hates. Another in a series of "ads so bad it turns people against the product (not that there's much choice in this sector) and everyone involved."

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
I record them all so I don't see any commercials, but what's with that stupid horn song they play before every commercial / transition?

Reactions: Summer Rose

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
Yep, after seeing each one once I knew to flip the channel as soon as I saw it again. But I remember there being some vitriol aimed at the CRTC for airing these shock-value commercials during the day or, like you said, when little kids would be watching them.

Not a great look by any means, which may have been why the campaign was scrapped.
I imagine they got a good bit of feedback, and not from people who called or wrote to say "Great idea!".

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
About ready to throw my rum glass every time I see this one.

Tony Hand is actually doing a lot of damage to his career with these ads. Hope the money is worth becoming a guy everyone instantly hates. Another in a series of "ads so bad it turns people against the product (not that there's much choice in this sector) and everyone involved."
Tony Hand was an Oiler draft pick in the Gretzky era.

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
I hate commercials as much as the next person, but they're overall preferable to complete silence (MLB TV) or a 20 second music video on repeat (ESPN+), IMO.
Disagree with the complete silence. When ad breaks come I just mute the TV and check my phone or whatever. These commercial break screens MLB.tv and GCL used to have saved me the muting AND I didn't have to take glances at the TV to check wether the game was back on because the sound would tell me. It was great.

Nowadays MLB.tv shows milestone moments which is tolerable in theory but they've got a pool of like 15 clips playing on loop. I've seen Craig Biggio getting thrown out at 2nd for his 3000th hit, Xander's first Dinger with the Padres and José Ramitez' 3 HR game against the Red Sox way too many times.

I did like to play along with the new MLB hat game the first few times and the Baseball Zen segments are fine.

Last edited:

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
Worst genres of commercials imo:

-Gambling ads of the BET TO BECOME PART OF THE TEAM variety

-Some feel-good family story being told with a corporate logo showing up at the end with absolutely no relation to the stuff preceding it (especially popular at the Super Bowl it seems)

-The ones where fake athletes in generic jerseys stop to tell you about corporation xy in the heat of the action

This is by no means an exhaustive list so feel free to expand

The only ads I miss is fast foods ones giving me a sense of what bizarre food creations people in America have come up with now. Don't seem to run as much these days. They also seemed way too expensive- how is a large pizza with two toppings for 15 bucks a "great deal"?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Worst genres of commercials imo:

-Gambling ads of the BET TO BECOME PART OF THE TEAM variety

-Some feel-good family story being told with a corporate logo showing up at the end with absolutely no relation to the stuff preceding it (especially popular at the Super Bowl it seems)

-The ones where fake athletes in generic jerseys stop to tell you about corporation xy in the heat of the action

This is by no means an exhaustive list so feel free to expand

The only ads I miss is fast foods ones giving me a sense of what bizarre food creations people in America have come up with now. Don't seem to run as much these days. They also seemed way too expensive- how is a large pizza with two toppings for 15 bucks a "great deal"?

The GEICO commercial with the hockey players comes to mind here. I don't find it particularly annoying, but it's kind of a dumb commercial.

Reactions: Ezekial

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
There's a few that seem to be on endless cycle that are rough on the nerves.

The insurance commercial with the stupid baby talk.
The commercial with the two basketball players singing a stupid song out of tune.
The auto tune ad telling some dude not to delete his shitty pictures.

Both are really tough on the ears. Have to reach for the mute button.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The GEICO commercial with the hockey players comes to mind here. I don't find it particularly annoying, but it's kind of a dumb commercial.
Not only the hockey players, but the bad attempts at jokes "I thought I had the aisle."

LOL IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE HE'S SO SMALL IT WOULDN'T MATTER IF HE'S ON THE AISLE

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Agree with gambling commercials. For me it would be that series of Scotiabank commercials which completely ruined my love of that old Bronski Beat song.

I think pretty much any woke politically correct commercial which is pretty much all of them. I just take a break and walk around the house during commercials now or mute the TV and read my book

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
There's a sports interaction ad where they are interviewing Americans about hockey. The line is something like "Americans don't know anything about hockey, why would you bet on their sports book" that's exactly why I'd like to bet on their sports book
That ad is such a smug self own. They are trying to show Americans dont know anything about hockey, and one of the random people off the street, when asked to name a team, says Calgary Canucks. Which is an AJHL hockey team! The geniuses at Sports Interaction obviously don't know, so they chose that interview to feature.

The premise is so idiotic to begin with. I could go to a downtown in Canada and it would not be that hard to find people utterly clueless about hockey. Im sorry my American comrades, we are not all like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad