Annoying TV commercials during Stanley Cup playoffs - US and Canada

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
representative summer lee has a campaign ad thanking herself for doing stuff. literally "thank you summer lee". it ran 2 times every break yesterday.

Reactions: Summer Rose

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
They based their program on the Transport Accident Commission shock value because it works. They actually had a dip in workplace accidents after airing that series.
Meanwhile, the little kids who saw them that had parents who went to work in restaurants, construction, etc, wound up being medicated and in counselling for extreme separation anxiety until they were in their 30s.

Well done government.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
There's a sports interaction ad where they are interviewing Americans about hockey. The line is something like "Americans don't know anything about hockey, why would you bet on their sports book" that's exactly why I'd like to bet on their sports book
That commercial is targeted towards the stupidest of Canadians. I hate it

Every Quest Trade commercial ends with me wanting to punch the lecturing douche bag in the nose.
Smug overload

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Meanwhile, the little kids who saw them that had parents who went to work in restaurants, construction, etc, wound up being medicated and in counselling for extreme separation anxiety until they were in their 30s.

Well done government.

Yep, after seeing each one once I knew to flip the channel as soon as I saw it again. But I remember there being some vitriol aimed at the CRTC for airing these shock-value commercials during the day or, like you said, when little kids would be watching them.

Not a great look by any means, which may have been why the campaign was scrapped.

Every Quest Trade commercial ends with me wanting to punch the lecturing douche bag in the nose.

They're the absolute worst.

"That's.....ridiculous!"

"Ridiculous would be knowing that, and NOT switching!" :scared:

There's three or four of these smarmy ads getting that very heavy Sportsnet rotation and I gotta say they're some of the worst ads I've ever seen.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yep, after seeing each one once I knew to flip the channel as soon as I saw it again. But I remember there being some vitriol aimed at the CRTC for airing these shock-value commercials during the day or, like you said, when little kids would be watching them.

Not a great look by any means, which may have been why the campaign was scrapped.

Bell Canada recently ran a Halloween ad campaign about terrible cable being like a haunted house with evil clowns jumping out of nowhere and ominous red light permeating the home.

It's all just a dream, and he rolls over to find his wife in clown make-up in bed next to him.

My toddler son screamed every time he saw that commercial, which would run about 800 times a day at all hours.

Ok, fine, a little supervision warranted.

My beef is that they kept running it for weeks after Halloween. Thank you Bell.

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
There's a sports interaction ad where they are interviewing Americans about hockey. The line is something like "Americans don't know anything about hockey, why would you bet on their sports book" that's exactly why I'd like to bet on their sports book

Yep. He's pretty annoying.

And, elephant in the room, no one wants to admit that he'd get the same exact answers if he walked through downtown Toronto and asked enough people those same questions. But sure, hooray for selective editing! The "Rick Mercer" special. :laugh:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They're the absolute worst.

"That's.....ridiculous!"

"Ridiculous would be knowing that, and NOT switching!" :scared:

There's three or four of these smarmy ads getting that very heavy Sportsnet rotation and I gotta say they're some of the worst ads I've ever seen.

"Please, Quest Trade is EASY!"

(subtext: my brother who doesn't use Quest Trade is a total and absolute moron!)

"You're not still using Mom and Dad's guy, are you?"

(subtext: I pity your stupidity even though we're related, plus boomers are funny and out of touch)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad