Anisimov, Balcers, Brown, Paul,

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Keep the vets up until we can trade them.

Keep a few prominent spots open on the roster for the kids and rotate them through based on rewards for good play.

We're rebuilding. It's okay if we lose and its better for the future this way. Do this instead of prematurely gifting guys careers in the best league on the planet, simply because our current roster sucks (***cough*** White ***cough***).

The message: You wanna make this team? You need to prove that you deserve an NHL roster spot on ANY club, not just OUR ****ty rebuilding one.
That's kind of where the tone of the conversation is changing with some of the kids finding their footing and forcing the issue, although a few more games showing it before making decisions doesn't hurt. Paul has earned sticking around and so has Brown. Balcers had a good showing before getting hurt and looked good last year, so he deserves it as well. It's becoming less about handing them spots, and more about giving them the room they deserve as they play well.

As far as selling at the deadline, these aren't those players. Ennis, Anisimov, Ryan, Sabourin & Boedker are likely not tradable or would at best be moved with no value coming back. The value to them is their replacability on the dime without having to worry or care about what happens to them to make room.

As a side note it might help them sell a few more tickets if the on ice roster has more of the future than these rebuild stop gaps.

Reactions: DrEasy

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Going in to this season we had to understand the roster and overall org direction would be fluid.

To me, ideally the 1 year vets came in and showed they were capable of playing a, "significant" role on a bad club. Significant enough that they may garner interest at the deadline. So far, IMO opinion, that hasn't happened.

So now we are faced with some of the younger players who didn't break the door down in camp getting another kick at the can and so far showing they fit in and that they have room to grow.

At the end of the year we needed to see progress from the kids and still be positioned for an early pick. I believe both of those items can still take place through the season while more youth is inserted in to the line-up.

Balcers had basically made the team before his injury but being in the A for a while won't hurt him and could help the B-Sens right the ship for a play-off push. I expect he ends up in Ottawa sooner or later though.

Batherson is another one who may end up getting the call to Ottawa if he can find consistency and is leading the B-Sens to victories.

That said, other than some additional entry level contracts coming up for bits and pieces of the year, our salaries are a sunk cost so moving a vet to the press box or waiving to send t the A shouldn't be an issue.

It's strange having such a glut of players but GMPD is now tasked with finding a way to trim the roster while getting as much back as possible but IF we rid ourselves of Ennis, Boedker, Sabu for nothing and they are replaced by Paul, Balcers, Brown then I think it is a net positive for the team.

The fact the Sharks are showing signs of potentially missing the play-offs is a complete wildcard to this and could potentially dramatically alter the final evaluation of this season being a huge success or a typical step in rebuild.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Stay the course. The single season vets are placeholders.

no one cares about selling “a few more seats” at this point, and no one cares too much if we’re losing hard fought games.

The point of the vets is to hold down roster spots so that players have to kick down the door when an opportunity arises.

I don’t want anyone getting a spot without making an impact close to what Paul has finally done. We don’t care about sucking as much as we care about making sure the kids are dialed in on what it takes to make the NHL, and this club in particular.

We may not be great right now, but management and coaching staff is looking at the kids being players on the team that this roster ‘will’ ice and the type of team they ‘want’ to develop into, not what the vets are providing on the ice today.

The way we become the team we want to be is by making sure that when we give a kid a roster spot it’s because he’s earned a spot on the team we want to become, not a spot on the team we are today.

There is so much back and forth about roster moves in here, but I think we stay the course. Vets can be replaced when someone comes up and makes an impact right away, otherwise they get a taste and go back with positive reinforcement. Mann seems to be doing a great development and continuity job in Belleville.

I’d be ok with trades that net us young potential core prices, or medium term guys that can be part of the team during the rebuild, but we don’t need to trade for bad contracts and crap players, unless we see a way to flip them.

Every year we can add a vet or two to fill a spot until a kid takes it by storm, rinse and repeat until the roster is filled out with kids who fought for their spots and aren’t willing to give them up without a fight to the next batch of hungry kids.

It looks to me like we’re not just building a team, but we’re building an organizational standard and practice. Dorion, scouting and coaching have talked non stop about character and playing the ‘right way’, and we have watched this team put its money where its mouth is in that regard. We’re seeing development take its time, we’re seeing guys earn their ice time, and we’re also seeing a hearing guys buying in both in the AHL and NHL. The cynics will pan all this, but who cares? They’ll get on board again when it’s right for them, others will enjoy the ride from the start. Either way the hope is for this to all pan out no matter what ‘kind’ of fan you are.

To me this is a great sign of what is needed to create a legacy. Like back in the day when we rode bikes all the time because fitness mattered, eventhough we were laughed at, and conversely how we consistently ignored the needed grit when we were top of the league. We’re seeing a culture being created again, and the draft and trades seem to be for players that amongst other things need to fit in with that culture.

Fast, hardworking, hard nosed, attack hockey. Everyone backing each other up, guys working with and for each other. No one taking shifts off.

If finances can sort itself out and stop driving people away, this could be a culture that style that becomes an example.

Last edited:

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Don't we need some of the dead weight just to meet the cap floor? What if we waive someone and he gets claimed?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I feel like Drake is getting overlooked here. Kid is our top prospect as far as I'm concerned and outperformed both Paul and Brown in the A last year.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Don't we need some of the dead weight just to meet the cap floor? What if we waive someone and he gets claimed?

Yes, absolutely we do need some of these big earners on the team.

Goes to the point of not caring if they sit.

Also, I don't know the rules well but isn't there something about an age and how much of a contract can be buried in the A? As an example of Boedker gets sent down we still keep $3M of cap (just making up number to explore if this is accurate)?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The 23 man roster size is limiting how many spots can open up in the lineup

Tkachuk Brown Duclair
Names Tierney White
Paul Pageau Brown
Balcers Anisimov Ennis
Ryan
Sabourin
Boedker

7D
2G
------------

Unless someone nobody wants can get moved without bringing back another dead weight contract we will need to send someone down.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The 23 man roster size is limiting how many spots can open up in the lineup

Tkachuk Brown Duclair
Names Tierney White
Paul Pageau Brown
Balcers Anisimov Ennis
Ryan
Sabourin
Boedker

7D
2G
------------

Unless someone nobody wants can get moved without bringing back another dead weight contract we will need to send someone down.

It would be nice if Bath earned himself a spot too over the next month or so ... trading one of Pager/CT/Hainsey would cover 3 extra ELC’s if we put Boedker, Anis, Ryan etc in the minors. If Paul plays big it may make room for Sabourin to go down too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad