Angry Habs fans turn to MP to resolve cable TV crisis.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Montreal Canadiens fans in northern Ontario have a new hockey hero and his name is Charlie Angus.

So, constituents have a beef and they turn to a guy whose name is Angus. :sarcasm:

All hail the new King of the North.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
RDS HABS Games are blacked out west here in B.C. :help::help::help:

The worst, though, is that Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver games are blacked out here in Halifax. On my cable guide listings, black screen when you flick to them. 'Cause, you know, that totally affects my decision on whether I'm boarding a flight to catch the game on any given night or not...

I'm a fan of hockey and Canada in general, but my hockey and Canada in general involve far more than just Montreal, Toronto, and Ottawa. I haven't mentioned Winnipeg, because they seem to sneak through the blackouts a little more regularly for some reason (I guess there's still a push to promote them nationwide a bit).

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
The worst, though, is that Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver games are blacked out here in Halifax. On my cable guide listings, black screen when you flick to them. 'Cause, you know, that totally affects my decision on whether I'm boarding a flight to catch the game on any given night or not...

I'm a fan of hockey and Canada in general, but my hockey and Canada in general involve far more than just Montreal, Toronto, and Ottawa. I haven't mentioned Winnipeg, because they seem to sneak through the blackouts a little more regularly for some reason (I guess there's still a push to promote them nationwide a bit).

I agree with you. How does it make sense to blackout cities that are hours of flight away? I thought blackouts were for teams that couldn't sell out and it was a way to convince locals to come out and watch their team.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
So, constituents have a beef and they turn to a guy whose name is Angus. :sarcasm:

All hail the new King of the North.

At least he is trying for his constituents. Far cry from the guy who we haven't seen in my parents riding for 6 years.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I agree with you. How does it make sense to blackout cities that are hours of flight away? I thought blackouts were for teams that couldn't sell out and it was a way to convince locals to come out and watch their team.

We get blacked out of both detroit and toronto ? This makes no sense considering we are 1 km away from detroit, but in canada. SN just keeps showing its amateur hour. I hope the lose their suit with telus and bell(much as I hate the other telecos as well

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011

Nhl wants u to purchase center ice.

Apr 28, 2010
I'm just as pissed as any Habs fan outside the region but I will let this one pass. I still have hope that they will find a way to fix this for next season. When you subscribe to a sports pack, It should be enough to get all 82 games.

All canadian teams should be available everywhere in Canada. That needs to be their main goal.

YYZviaYUL

Aug 9, 2014
In Toronto, we got screwed too.

Two of my buddies and I decided to **** Rogers by getting multiple boxes under 1 account and add the Super Sports Pak and have it in 3 different houses. We only pay for 1 acct for 3 different house holds. NHL, NBA, NFL, BASEBALL, NCAAB, NCAAF.

I don't want to hear from the morals/ethics police.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012

Two of my buddies and I decided to **** Rogers by getting multiple boxes under 1 account and add the Super Sports Pak and have it in 3 different houses. We only pay for 1 acct for 3 different house holds. NHL, NBA, NFL, BASEBALL, NCAAB, NCAAF.

You'd be surprised how many people do this...Especailly some people that own multiple homes (ie cottages). Neighbours cable share.

HABSonaroll

Mar 20, 2013
Isn't the wednesday night game a national game?

My point -Doubt if they would do that for a HABS Game - also a few weeks ago they had a Boston Eastern game on 3 different SN channels out west and the HABS Game was only available in the East - why not put it on one of those extra channels :)

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta

Been doing that for over ten years. It's a grey area. Not illegal but does violate their TOS.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
The reason your getting blackout games is because they tv station only bought regional rights which are cheaper. The beef I have is down here I can't get City Montreal and it said on the schedule I read said there would only be 3 games on city montreal that I couldn't watch. That has not been the case there have been more than 3 already.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

That's the way it used to be. Now, the NHL has become a bunch of greedy pigs and want you to pay for their packages. Doesn't help that the big boy sportscasters in North America now have hockey. Sportsnet/NBC vs CBC, TSN/ESPN. I miss the old days.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
The reason your getting blackout games is because they tv station only bought regional rights which are cheaper. The beef I have is down here I can't get City Montreal and it said on the schedule I read said there would only be 3 games on city montreal that I couldn't watch. That has not been the case there have been more than 3 already.

It's really annoying to pay for all the Sportsnet channels, which are redundant when nothing I want to watch is on (4 channels of party poker bros, woot! :/ ), and blacked out when something I want to is (hockey #1). Why even clutter my cable guide with SNW/P/whatever when I can only watch stuff when it's duplicated on SNE anyway?

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
The sad reality is that it's easier to subscribe to a single service and watch all 82 Habs games in French in Tokyo than it is in Toronto.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
That's my point they shouldn't be - never were before till this year - also the Leafs game is on 4 different SN Channels right now out west ;)

There have always been blackouts. RDS access nationally was a loophole that's been closed.

Pisses me off too. I had to spend a couple of hundred for CI. Now I've got access to way more hockey than I could possibly want.

Hemlor

Jan 27, 2007
We get blacked out of both detroit and toronto ? This makes no sense considering we are 1 km away from detroit, but in canada. SN just keeps showing its amateur hour. I hope the lose their suit with telus and bell(much as I hate the other telecos as well

blackout rules are set by NHL, not Rogers

HABSonaroll

Mar 20, 2013
There have always been blackouts. RDS access nationally was a loophole that's been closed.

Pisses me off too. I had to spend a couple of hundred for CI. Now I've got access to way more hockey than I could possibly want.

Been holding back on doing that as my cable bill is almost a couple of hundred $ - for hockey I mostly just watch the HABS - So right now I listen to the HABS games on 690 That I can't get and then follow NHL TV - To bad that channel isn't in HD

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Been holding back on doing that as my cable bill is almost a couple of hundred $ - for hockey I mostly just watch the HABS - So right now I listen to the HABS games on 690 That I can't get and then follow NHL TV - To bad that channel isn't in HD

Yeah, it's crazy that the NHL channel isn't in hi def. They really need to catch up to the technology.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad