Anglophiles Unite! Your Favorite British Entertainment

Elvis P

Kreid and Joy
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1695835860297.png

Music: Beatles, Rolling Stones, Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Clash, The Kinks, Black Sabbath,

TV: Doctor Who, Monty Python, Sherlock, Peaky Blinders, Fleabag,

Movies: Alfred Hitchcock, Don't look now, 2001, Peter Cushing, Alec Guinness, Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson,

Authors: Agatha Christie, Arthur C. Clarke, Arthur Conan Doyle, Aldous Huxley, George Orwell, Shakespeare, Mary Shelley, Tolkien, H. G. Wells, P. G. Wodehouse

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
-Monty Python
-Q5
-Fawlty Towers
-Spitting Image
-Blackadder
-Black Books
-Spaced
-Dr. Who
-The Thick of It
-Mr. Bean
-Father Ted
-Derry Girls
-Sex Education
-Slow Horses
-Little Britain
-Sherlock
-IT Crowd
-Prime Suspect
-Cracker
-the Office (UK)
-Extras
-Life's Too Short
-Derek
-Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett)
-Poirot (David Suchet)
-Luther

Last edited:
Reactions: Elvis P

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Black Adder
Fawlty Towers
Keeping Up Appearances
Are You Being Served
Luther
Poirot (David Suchet)
Broadchurch
Midsommer Murders
Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett)
The Last Kingdom
The Night Manager
Foyle's War
House of Cards

Reactions: NyQuil

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Music: Brian Eno, Discharge, Naplalm Death, Bolt Thrower, Venom, Joy Division, The Sisters of Mercy, Witchfinder General, Carcass, The Cure, Electric Wizard, The Kinks, Sex Pistols, Aphex Twin, Autechre, Godflesh, Nitzer Ebb, Portishead, G.B.H., The Legendary Pink Dots, Black Sabbath, Talk Talk, Killing Joke, Siouxie and the Banshees, Depeche Mode, Rosetta Stone

Literature: J.R.R. Tolkien

Comedy: Monty Python's Flying Circus

Do Scotland, Ireland, Wales count? If so, The Exploited, Boards of Canada (music).

It's pretty incredible how such a relatively small population has produced so much talent in the last century or so. I'd say it's good interpretation as outsiders of others' creations and influences as well as geographically-condensed skill. Except punk and metal were arguably created by them.

Last edited:

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Music: Beatles, Rolling Stones, Rainbow, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, ELO, The Kinks, Black Sabbath, Van Morrison, Lonnie Donegan, Mark Knopfler, Tom Jones, Queen, Elton John, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple

TV: IT Crowd, Black Books, Spaced, Hyperdrive, Derek, Life's Too Short, Toast of London, David Attenborough's Wildlife and Nature programs, An Idiot Abroad

Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Attack the Block, The Worlds End, Snatch, Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Harry Brown, Kingsman the Secret Service, Kingsman the Golden Circle

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm too wiped from work to think of everything but Matt Berry is a world treasure and the IT Crowd is one of my go to Netflix comfort series in very large part because of him.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I don’t think I’ve ever laughed out loud so much over any series!

I was in my early 20s when it first came out and loved it. About a year and a half ago I wound up doing a rewatch since I was in a British humor mood and there was nothing else good on on whatever streaming app it was on (I think it was amazon prime), but I went into it with massive fear that it wasn't going to hold up now that I'm in my mid-30s and we're living in a much more sensitive 2020s world. But the humor really did hold up well, and if anything I appreciated it even more as an adult.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca
Sep 19, 2008
Bad Education
Inbetweeners
Fresh Meat
Peep Show
This Country

Thick of It was pretty good too, seeing Malcolm go off is always a treat.

Sep 19, 2008
Disappointed I'm the only one who mentioned Peep Show which is arguably Jesse Armstrong's best British work

This Country is one of the most hilarious shows aired on British television.

"Never, ever joke about Swindon Football Club."

@Siamese Dream

Last edited:
Reactions: McGarnagle

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
A dozen of each, though all the lists would have an abundance of HMs.

Music: The Beatles, Radiohead, The Clash, The Kinks, Talk Talk, Led Zep, Roxy Music, Rolling Stones, Genesis, My Bloody Valentine, The Who, Portishead

TV shows: Monty Python, Luther, Inspector Morse, Doctor Who, Shetland, Sherlock, BBC Shakespeare series, Prime Suspect, Blackpool, The Last Kingdom, Life on Mars, Broadchurch

Movies: Blow Up, Don't Look Now, The Third Man, The 39 Steps, Lawrence of Arabia, Barry Lyndon, 45 Years, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, The Lady Vanishes, Great Expectations, Hunger, Local Hero

Authors: William Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, V. S. Naipaul, Jane Austen, Virginia Woolfe, D. H. Lawrence, Joseph Conrad, Graham Greene, Agatha Christie, Arthur Conan Doyle, Ian MacEwan, Martin Amis

Actors-- so many come to mind: Laurence Olivier, John Gielgud, Daniel Day Lewis, Dirk Bogard, Richard Burton, Idris Elba, Albert Finney, Ralph Fiennes, Tilda Swinton,, Charlotte Rampling, Alan Rickman, Michael Caine, Ralph Richardson, Gary Oldman, Michael Fassbender, Sean Connery, Tom Hiddleston, Jeremy Irons, Bill NIghy, Julie Christie, Glenda Jackson, Vanessa Redgrave, Ewan McGregor, Sean Connery, David Tennant

Last edited:
Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad