Angelo Esposito, struggling at Shattucks.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
15 yr old Angelo Esposito is really struggling so far at Shattuck St. Mary as the only 1989 on the team. He is not having the success Sydney Crosby and Jonathon Toews had as 15 yr olds. Esposito is highly rated for the 2007 NHL Draft.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
HabLover said:
15 yr old Angelo Esposito is really struggling so far at Shattuck St. Mary as the only 1989 on the team. He is not having the success Sydney Crosby and Jonathon Toews had as 15 yr olds. Esposito is highly rated for the 2007 NHL Draft.

Give him time to adjust. Toews started last year slow but then picked up alot in the last half of the season. There is an adaption period, don't really scout players in the first month or so as they are getting a feel for the league. He was never put into Crosby catigory, but I think he will be better than Toews.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Never heard of him...

Is he part of THE Esposito family?

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
moosefan said:
Give him time to adjust. Toews started last year slow but then picked up alot in the last half of the season. There is an adaption period, don't really scout players in the first month or so as they are getting a feel for the league. He was never put into Crosby catigory, but I think he will be better than Toews.
How is Okposo in camprison to Toews?

Right now he's got 17 goals and 24 points in 16 games, while Toews has 12 gooals and 29 points.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'd have a hard time saying that a 15 year old is "struggling".

He's a baby. Somebody ****ed up by putting unrealistic expectations upon him.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Why didn't Toews stay at home in Winnipeg and play midget AA this season?

Because as arguably the best 16-year-old from Western Canada, his game will develop about the same playing that Shattuck junk this year.

I'd be really curious to know what or who went into that thought process.

Juan said:
Why didn't Toews stay at home in Winnipeg and play midget AA this season?

Because as arguably the best 16-year-old from Western Canada, his game will develop about the same playing that Shattuck junk this year.

I'd be really curious to know what or who went into that thought process.

His younger brother is going to Shattuck's this year, so it may have been a family type decision.

ndhockey21

Aug 1, 2004
North Dakota
This kid is good though. I watched him play the FM-Jets in the NAHL a few weeks ago. I noticed him and Toews more than anyone else.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
I believe Okposo will end up being the best player in the long run from the current Shattuck team. He is very skilled but he adds elements that a lot of skill players don't have. He is strong, physical, tough and hard working. The kid is going to be a star.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
I've seen a Esposito play in a tournament two years ago and he was frigging good. I'm not so sure if I'm talking about the right Esposito (Angelo), anyway, he was playing Bantam BB for a Montreal team, is that possible?

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
PuckFan01 said:
I believe Okposo will end up being the best player in the long run from the current Shattuck team. He is very skilled but he adds elements that a lot of skill players don't have. He is strong, physical, tough and hard working. The kid is going to be a star.

He just doesn't have either the brains or the balls to play someplace that is going to challenge him.

That goes for Toews as well.

:shakehead

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Juan said:
He just doesn't have either the brains or the balls to play someplace that is going to challenge him.

That goes for Toews as well.

:shakehead

Esposito is a classic example of a kid who developed much quicker through puberty than most of his peers but who has "topped out" in terms of development. His peers are now caught up and surpassing him.

As for Toews, a classic case of a meddling overbearing mother who is on the fast track to ruining this great talent. He desperatly wanted to play for the Ams this year and was all set to do so until mommy decided otherwise.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
VOB said:
As for Toews, a classic case of a meddling overbearing mother who is on the fast track to ruining this great talent. He desperatly wanted to play for the Ams this year and was all set to do so until mommy decided otherwise.

The Ams aren't going away and I would imagine he'll be playing for them next year and will be able to focus on hockey full time.

As for Okposo, Juan doesn't have a clue about the kid if he thinks the kid is stupid or weak. Staying at Shattuck didn't seem to hurt Parise, Stafford, etc. Why is it suddenly a bad thing for Okposo or Toews to follow the same path by finishing their education there too? :shakehead

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
PuckFan01 said:
The Ams aren't going away and I would imagine he'll be playing for them next year and will be able to focus on hockey full time.

As for Okposo, Juan doesn't have a clue about the kid if he thinks the kid is stupid or weak. Staying at Shattuck didn't seem to hurt Parise, Stafford, etc. Why is it suddenly a bad thing for Okposo or Toews to follow the same path by finishing their education there too? :shakehead

"Parise, Stafford, etc." Who are the "etc." first round draft picks and NHL players you are talking about??

Regarding Parise, his father runs the hockey program there, so I guess that's at least some explanation for him staying.

Regarding Stafford, he really only flourished offensively in his final year at Shattuck (and even then, he was over 40 points behind a 15-year-old Sid Crosby). Toews and Okposo were MUCH more dominant last year than Stafford was in his second last year. They both LIT IT UP last year. So why go back for another year, especially Toews?

I guess I never really understood when people explain a player's developmental route by saying "it won't hurt him."

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Juan said:
So why go back for another year, especially Toews?

I guess I never really understood when people explain a player's developmental route by saying "it won't hurt him."

The problem with people like you is you seem to assume that every kid is going to flourish in the same way by doing the same things. Even worse, you act like every talented kid should care about things in the same way you do. Here is a news flash for you. It doesn't quite happen that way. Which is why you see stars in the NHL come from multiple routes and not just one specific way.

Why should any kid care what some guy on a message board criticizes him for? As long the player is happy and feels like he is getting good coaching and making progress, why should anybody care if he decides to stay one more year? As I pointed out, it didn't appear to hurt some other guys who did the same at that very same school.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Juan said:
"I guess I never really understood when people explain a player's developmental route by saying "it won't hurt him."

And some of us never really understood how anonymous posters can know so much better than a kid or his family what is the "right" development route.

I am not a supporter of Shattuck, but the decision where to go does not - and should not - have anything to do with what the peanut gallery thinks is good for a kid. Outside of the family, nobody has any idea what is really in the kid's best interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad