Andreychuk gets a statue

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
https://twitter.com/TBLightning
On April 5, we'll immortalize this moment. Andreychuk's statue to be unveiled: http://******/uruq9 pic.twitter.com/xT6bp6c2bf
BiZPg0KCQAAnDE8.jpg:large

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=708814
The Tampa Bay Lightning announced that the club will honor former captain and Stanley Cup Champion Dave Andreychuk with a statue on Ford Thunder Alley in front of the Tampa Bay Times Forum. The Lightning will unveil the statue in a pregame ceremony at 6:30 p.m. prior to their home game against the Dallas Stars on Saturday, April 5. The pregame ceremony is scheduled to air live on CW44.

The life-size bronze statue of Andreychuk will be located at the entrance to Ford Thunder Alley, just northeast of the intersection at Channelside Drive and Morgan Streets. The statue will depict Andreychuk hoisting the Stanley Cup over his head after the Lightning defeated the Calgary Flames in Game 7 during the 2004 finals. The Andreychuk statue will stand 9-feet tall and weigh approximately 600 pounds. It is being created by Steven Dickey, the renowned artist and sculptor that designed the Phil Esposito statue which graces the entrance to the Times Forum.

"The image of captain Dave Andreychuk hoisting the Stanley Cup over his head at center ice is one of the most iconic memories in Lightning history," Lightning chairman and governor Jeff Vinik said. "We are excited to share this moment with every fan that attends a Lightning home game by honoring Dave with this statue."

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
The Tampa Bay Lightning announced that the club will honor former captain and Stanley Cup Champion Dave Andreychuk with a statue on Ford Thunder Alley in front of the Tampa Bay Times Forum. The Lightning will unveil the statue in a pregame ceremony at 6:30 p.m. prior to their home game against the Dallas Stars on Saturday, April 5. The pregame ceremony is scheduled to air live on CW44.

The life-size bronze statue of Andreychuk will be located at the entrance to Ford Thunder Alley, just northeast of the intersection at Channelside Drive and Morgan Streets. The statue will depict Andreychuk hoisting the Stanley Cup over his head after the Lightning defeated the Calgary Flames in Game 7 during the 2004 finals. The Andreychuk statue will stand 9-feet tall and weigh approximately 600 pounds. It is being created by Steven Dickey, the renowned artist and sculptor that designed the Phil Esposito statue which graces the entrance to the Times Forum.

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=708814

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Bull****, nothing against Andy but Lecavalier should've never lost the C and he better get a damn statue as soon as he retiresn

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I wasn't a Lightning fan when Andreychuk was on this team, but from what I understand, wasn't he only with this team for like 3-4 years? I understand he captained the Cup team, but... I dunno, it seems a bit much. I mean, good for him and all, and I understand I didn't experience what he brought, but still.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
correctly attributing quotes can be somewhat difficult but there's one generally credited to Cato the Elder that feels appropriate.

"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Bull****, nothing against Andy but Lecavalier should've never lost the C and he better get a damn statue as soon as he retiresn
Vinny should have never gotten the C at such a young age in the first place and it was also the right move to give it to Andy. I don't see how how any of that turned out bad. Vinny was a leader but Andy was the leader.
This has more to do with what he did for the organization after he retired than what he did while he played for it.
I would think both.

I wasn't a Lightning fan when Andreychuk was on this team, but from what I understand, wasn't he only with this team for like 3-4 years? I understand he captained the Cup team, but... I dunno, it seems a bit much. I mean, good for him and all, and I understand I didn't experience what he brought, but still.
He changed the culture here and set the foundation. He's the one who made it so you couldn't step on the logo in the locker room, and brought pride in being a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning. It all starts with him. Everything he brought was soaked up by Vinny and Marty. And when Vinny and Marty were both named captain, they credited him with how a captain should be and the knowledge they learned from him. And that keeps going as Vinny and Marty showed Stammer how to be.

Funny enough with everything that's just went on with Marty, the organization was willing to move Andy who was getting up there in age to a contender, but he wanted to stay to captain the bolts to a cup, and a few years later he did just that.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
I like this statue. That is one of the most iconic pictures in TBL history. Anderchuk has also done a lot for the Lightning after he retired. I'm surprised so many on here seem to be not in favor of this statue.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I like it. To me it is not only honoring Andreychuk's time as a player and executive, but it is also a snapshot of the greatest moment in the team's history. That image is iconic and is always associated with our Cup, so it's a no brainer to model the statue after that moment.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
We need to build team tradition and where better to start than this? That's one of the things Vinik said he wanted to do: build on team history. I think this is an excellent start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad