Andrew Yogan

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008
He's had a shoulder injury and has been out the entire season thus far, but he's expected to start skating soon and could make his season debut sometime next month.

msv957

Aug 3, 2005
oh anyone know what happen ? and what do you think hes gonna do in the nhl

He could be a good power forward in the NHL. He is very raw, but has great size and skills. He was projected a first round pick but slid due to injuries and etc. Gordie Clark is a great talent evaluator and quite possibly could have a steal on his hands with this pick.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
He may have been projected as a first round pick the year prior to his draft year, but I believe the reason he slid to the 4th round was questions regarding his speed and ability to step it up at the next level. His PPG also didn't improve in his draft year, while other players emerged.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
He may have been projected as a first round pick the year prior to his draft year, but I believe the reason he slid to the 4th round was questions regarding his speed and ability to step it up at the next level. His PPG also didn't improve in his draft year, while other players emerged.

Yeah, he definitely wasn't considered a potential first rounder heading into the draft. Like you said, skating is the big issue. He's really weak in that department. Players with decent but not great skills and really poor skating don't get taken in the first round.

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
I played hockey with Yogan the year before he was drafted, and he was hoping for a second round selection, but I guess with his points not being elevated; it dropped his draft stock.

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
Bump.

Yogan just finished his Junior Career with 34 points in his last 20, including 19 in his last 8.

He lost a year of his development because of the shoulder injury, I think that really hurt his development as well as his draft position. Rangers letting him stay for his overage year was pretty smart IMO.

Does anyone who had the chance to watch him consistently this year have any insight?

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Bump.

Yogan just finished his Junior Career with 34 points in his last 20, including 19 in his last 8.

He lost a year of his development because of the shoulder injury, I think that really hurt his development as well as his draft position. Rangers letting him stay for his overage year was pretty smart IMO.

Does anyone who had the chance to watch him consistently this year have any insight?

I watched him all year.

He had some on-ice disciplinary issues most of the season, taking untimely penalties was the root of it. Head Coach Mike Pelino benched him, scratched him, had meetings with him, etc. At the end of the day it helped Yogan to a degree, I think, but he's still got some maturing to do. He plays with an attitude, love to stir it up and yap at the opposing team, sometimes takes it too far, even with referee's. His mouth gets him in trouble more than you'd like, but again, he's young. Plays his best when he scores a goal and gets into the game, gets engaged.

On ice, he's a big, speedy forward (played center and wing) who has pretty good offensive instincts, good hands, can play fairly feisty, mixes it up, etc. Doesn't always give it 110% offensively or defensively, but if and when he does, he was a man among boys in the OHL. He played his best hockey this year after Austin Watson was traded to London and Matt Puempel missed the second half of the season with a suspension (8 games) and concussion. When Yogan was "the guy" he was lights out offensively.

If he can work on his consistency and mature on the ice (and he will, he's still young), he could be an NHL'er. Whether or not he puts it all together, who knows.

Here is an article about Andrew Yogan, good read.

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3504968

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
I watched him all year.

He had some on-ice disciplinary issues most of the season, taking untimely penalties was the root of it. Head Coach Mike Pelino benched him, scratched him, had meetings with him, etc. At the end of the day it helped Yogan to a degree, I think, but he's still got some maturing to do. He plays with an attitude, love to stir it up and yap at the opposing team, sometimes takes it too far, even with referee's. His mouth gets him in trouble more than you'd like, but again, he's young. Plays his best when he scores a goal and gets into the game, gets engaged.

On ice, he's a big, speedy forward (played center and wing) who has pretty good offensive instincts, good hands, can play fairly feisty, mixes it up, etc. Doesn't always give it 110% offensively or defensively, but if and when he does, he was a man among boys in the OHL. He played his best hockey this year after Austin Watson was traded to London and Matt Puempel missed the second half of the season with a suspension (8 games) and concussion. When Yogan was "the guy" he was lights out offensively.

If he can work on his consistency and mature on the ice (and he will, he's still young), he could be an NHL'er. Whether or not he puts it all together, who knows.

Thanks for the quick and honest response. Sounds like he has a lot of work to do in the A if he wants to make the show.

I did hear a little about the disciplinary issues. Hopefully this is something he can grow out of... Something that concerns me is his history with coaches (he seemed to be in Ftorek's doghouse in Erie quite often) and Tortorella is a no nonsense type of coach that gets livid with things like unnecessary penalties and immaturity. If Yogan can maintain a good relationship with Tortorella, I think the sky is the limit for him. With that said, he is going to need to change if he wants to play under Torts. Fortunately Yogan is young and has plenty of time to adapt.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I watched him all year.

I'd echo those sentiments.

The majority of the times I saw Peterborough play this year, he was one of the best players on the ice. IMO, his offensive game really took off this year, and as you said, when he was on, he was a man amongst boys out there. Once he gets going with the puck, it's hard to stop his drives to the net.

I too am interested in seeing how he handles the next step and the adversity that comes along with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad