Andrew Shaw?

canucksPK

May 9, 2011
Okanagan BC
So I have this guy on my fantasy team in a keeper league, I know barely anything about him, but he seems to be a ****ing stud, he was picked in the 5th round last year, scored less than a ppg in the ohl last year, signs a contract with Rockford this year, gets 21 points in 33 games as an 18 year old in the minors, gets called up to the nhl, and has 2 goals in 5 games, I read he is the gritty hardnosed hard working type of forward, was projected to be an energy forward in the minors or play in the echl, but has exceeded all expectations, what do you guys know about him? Could he turn out to be a stud in my keeper league one day? Seems like a huge black horse from 2011, wow.

massivegoonery

Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
He's a spark plug - never stops moving.

Edit: Now that I think about it, spark plugs hardly ever move. I'll have to come up with a better metaphor.

RomersWorld*

He will definitely be useful in leagues with penalty minutes. With Carcillo out for the year, he could see a good amount of time.

This dude came out of nowhere. He did have a great playoffs his final year and might be the only reason he got drafted. Got passed over twice before I think.

What a pleasant surprise he has been though. When you see a 20 year old drafted in the 5th round you don't think much since most draftees are 18. But his play in Rockford has been impressive and he has continued in Chicago. He is an agitator who has some offensive skill. His goal on Bryz was pretty nice. He also drops the gloves quite a bit. I am not sure of his upside since he just keeps improving. I think he could be a real good 3rd liner though, possibly in a Steve Ott type mold.

Definitely a steal though for a 5th rounder.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
I drafted in the last round in my keeper league 2 weeks ago and he scored his first goal in his first game the next day.

can't wait to see what he can do long-terme.

RomersWorld*

Yep. Real nice goal tonight against Niemi. Got #3 star of the game as well. He has so much energy. He was all over the place tonight. He definitely making it difficult for Stan to ever send him down.

Gardebut30

Jun 8, 2004
Shaw is exaclty the type of player the Hawks have desperately needed since last year. No matter how long he stays with the Hawks this year, he looks like he could be a key piece in the bottom six for quite a while.

Nice grab by the Hawks in the 5th round. Who says those picks are worht nothing?

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
strong playoff and stellar mem cup shot this guy up on alot of teams lists

hard nosed player that never quits, that often gets you noticed a lot

good for him, i look forward to seeing him progress the rest of the year

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Brock with the nice re-entry preview on Andrew Shaw et al: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=910351

(And I'll also pat myself the back for foreseeing Shaw's NHL future -- even quicker than I felt he would).

I actually had Shaw ranked originally for the 2009 Draft (39th among OHL players available for the draft). ;)

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/2009/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2009.html

But I'd be a damn dirty liar if I told you I thought he'd have this much success...this quickly at the professional level...let alone the NHL level. It's terrific to see and I know I'll be cheering for him to make a lasting contribution in Chicago.

LandofLincoln*

Four Goals in 7 Games? Looks like he'll finish the season with 20 :p

He was a perfect 6-0 on faceoffs against San Jose which that isn't easy against a solid team. Obviously, him scoring is what got him the 3rd star of the game, but had he not scored he may have gotten it anyway. His play was huge the entire game even got a shot off on a PK --straight up hustler.

Blue Dot

F0rsbergFan21
Oct 15, 2006
One of which was the easiest goal I've ever seen :laugh:

and two of them were beautiful shots.

guys that work hard like him get a few of those easy ones because they put themselves in places to get the freebies.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
I actually had Shaw ranked originally for the 2009 Draft (39th among OHL players available for the draft). ;)

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/2009/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2009.html

But I'd be a damn dirty liar if I told you I thought he'd have this much success...this quickly at the professional level...let alone the NHL level. It's terrific to see and I know I'll be cheering for him to make a lasting contribution in Chicago.

I don't think anyone did. As a guy who watched Shaw ~25 times last season, I'm stunned by how quickly he ascended the ranks. I knew he had a pro friendly game, but being the first of the Attack championship squad (although I would argue Hishon would be the first if healthy) to play in the NHL is quite an accomplishment.

Terrific player and this is the start of a long and successful career for him. Kudos to the Blackhawks for recognizing his talent and giving him a chance.

EDIT: Also, funny to read your draft rankings and see how some of those guys turned out, especially Paul Bezzo...

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I don't think anyone did. As a guy who watched Shaw ~25 times last season, I'm stunned by how quickly he ascended the ranks. I knew he had a pro friendly game, but being the first of the Attack championship squad (although I would argue Hishon would be the first if healthy) to play in the NHL is quite an accomplishment.

Terrific player and this is the start of a long and successful career for him. Kudos to the Blackhawks for recognizing his talent and giving him a chance.

EDIT: Also, funny to read your draft rankings and see how some of those guys turned out, especially Paul Bezzo...

Absolutely. Even crazier is seeing something like this (my Top Re-Entry list from 2009).

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/2009/04/sunday-top-10-draft-re-entries-for-2009.html

9 out of the 10 of those kids ended up (eventually) getting drafted or signing NHL contracts.

Proof that kids like Andrew Shaw (another re-entry guy) should never give up and that some kids just develop a little later than others.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
He looks like he could certainly be a contributer on the Hawks bottom-6, even when we're healthy and/or trades have been made to bolster the roster. He's an agitaitor, but he can play the game. He skates, he hits, he gets to the net and he has enough skill to finish once he's there. A very solid late-round pick.

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
Shaw with another goal tonight, lol

And robbed of an assist right now by a bad call by the refs. He has been awesome and Hayes has played well too, they sure are making up for Sharp and Carcillo being out. They will not miss Carcillo by the looks of things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad