Prospect Info: Andrew Mangiapane (6th Round 2015, 166th overall)

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
You know Craig Button is indirectly responsible for our success. He hired his brother, Todd.
So thanks be to Craig.

I am glad Tod has finally figured this scouting thing out.

Tod was here before Craig. The drafting by the Flames from 2000-2010 was pathetic.

If I was that bad at my job, I dont think I get to keep it.

Anyway, all is forgiven, he seems to have done better in the last few drafts.

BTW: there is a reason, Craig is a "journalist" for TSN instead of having a real hockey job.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Just looking at pure counting stats, there doesn't seem to be any reason for this guy to go behind players like konecny/senyshyn etc.

Is Barrie just super stacked or what? I don't remember hearing much about them this year but they had 3 of the league's top scorers.

Aug 21, 2014
Just looking at pure counting stats, there doesn't seem to be any reason for this guy to go behind players like konecny/senyshyn etc.

Is Barrie just super stacked or what? I don't remember hearing much about them this year but they had 3 of the league's top scorers.

It's because this is his 2nd go around at the draft.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
It's because this is his 2nd go around at the draft.

I don't think it is actually. He wasn't eligible for last year draft, but he is one of the oldest players in this draft.

I think it is because of how he is almost a full year older than other prospects and he played on a pretty offensively heavy Colts team.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I am glad Tod has finally figured this scouting thing out.

Tod was here before Craig. The drafting by the Flames from 2000-2010 was pathetic.

If I was that bad at my job, I dont think I get to keep it.

Anyway, all is forgiven, he seems to have done better in the last few drafts.

BTW: there is a reason, Craig is a "journalist" for TSN instead of having a real hockey job.

I don't know about the early 00s, but it seemed that Dutter had a heavy hand in the draft when he was GM. I don't think we can strictly blame Button under him.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Count me among those who find Mangiapane being so overlooked kind of confusing. First off, while this was his second crack at the draft, he was in the younger half of players last year in his first crack. So there are players who were in their draft year this year who were less than 6 months older than him.

Second off, even if he's viewed as a true overager in this draft, just look at those stats. 108 points in 68 games. That's close to the 2.0 ppg that Sven Baertschi scored in his draft+1 year, and that was considered very good. If we'd taken Mangiapane last draft in the 7th round, people would have seen it as an extremely good pick, looking at it today. So why the lack of interest from the league? Just his size? I think Tyler Johnson is what we should all be hoping for here, and based on that interview, it sounds like he kind of plays that game.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Most likely AS, his and "okay" draft year numbers probably made most scouts pass over him. I really like this pick a whole bunch.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Count me among those who find Mangiapane being so overlooked kind of confusing. First off, while this was his second crack at the draft, he was in the younger half of players last year in his first crack. So there are players who were in their draft year this year who were less than 6 months older than him.

Second off, even if he's viewed as a true overager in this draft, just look at those stats. 108 points in 68 games. That's close to the 2.0 ppg that Sven Baertschi scored in his draft+1 year, and that was considered very good. If we'd taken Mangiapane last draft in the 7th round, people would have seen it as an extremely good pick, looking at it today. So why the lack of interest from the league? Just his size? I think Tyler Johnson is what we should all be hoping for here, and based on that interview, it sounds like he kind of plays that game.
He wasn't that close to being 2 ppg, he didn't even crack 1.6 ppg.

I do liek the pick though, when you look at where he was ranked in all the different publications, he went at least 30 spots behind the latest he was expected to go. CSS, Hockey Prospects & Future Considerations had him going top 100 and ISS at 138.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sure, but if 2.0 post-draft is considered excellent for a 14th-overall pick, then 1.6 for a 6th-rounder seems like a home run!
It's tough to say because junior stats don't say a whole lot. And honestly looking at the stats in Barrie last year, Magpie & Andersson were 3-4 in scoring but Magpie had 40 more points. And Lemieux, a 2nd round pick last year was 46 points lower. I do find it interesting as well that Magpie, Labanc and Blandisi were the teams three 100 points guys and all 3 are 6th round picks (the other 2 went last year)

And yes, I am calling him Magpie, it was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw his name for the first time.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
His "okay" draft year numbers are typically what you get in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, let alone the 6th. :laugh:

I agree, but those picks in that range usually have a lot more size. Still though, it's funny he didn't even get picked, at all? But the same thing happened to Garland, posting very similar numbers. Has to be the size.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Oh mb, for some reason I thought I was in the Rasmus Andersson thread.

"“I don’t know, to be honest,†Mangiapane said when asked of the reason for his torrid scoring pace over the last month. “I try not to think about stuff point-wise. I try to think more about the two points for the team."

The Anti-DanielSprong

JoeParez

Respect This Man
Jun 19, 2007
Andrew is extended family to me (he is my sister in-laws boyfriends first cousin). Treat him well!

Good Luck Andrew!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad