Andrew MacDonald trade value?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
A 3rd rounder would be enough for MacDonald. His contract lowers his value but it would be one that Buffalo would have no trouble absorbing with all of the ELCs they are about to have in their lineup.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
Is AM overpaid right now? Absolutely. However he is a serviceable defenseman and I'd like to see what he can do under another coach not named Berube. Why sell low on the guy, he's got a good enough game that he isn't killing the cap and lets let it play out to see if Hextall can parlay Mac into some real value in the future if the Flyers choose to move on.

My hunch is he has a bounce back season.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Is AM overpaid right now? Absolutely. However he is a serviceable defenseman and I'd like to see what he can do under another coach not named Berube. Why sell low on the guy, he's got a good enough game that he isn't killing the cap and lets let it play out to see if Hextall can parlay Mac into some real value in the future if the Flyers choose to move on.

My hunch is he has a bounce back season.

Yeah I mean if someone offered something for AMac I'd probably take it, especially if it was something of value, but I am not sure he is a "must-move" player. Yes he's overpaid, but he can still be useful. The team at this particular moment is not in any cap trouble and I don't foresee any even with extensions still in the future for B Schenn and Raffl. After this season he'll have four years at $5 million. If he plays well this year that contract doesn't sting as much, and would make him easier to trade should the cap become an issue.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
Yeah I mean if someone offered something for AMac I'd probably take it, especially if it was something of value, but I am not sure he is a "must-move" player. Yes he's overpaid, but he can still be useful. The team at this particular moment is not in any cap trouble and I don't foresee any even with extensions still in the future for B Schenn and Raffl. After this season he'll have four years at $5 million. If he plays well this year that contract doesn't sting as much, and would make him easier to trade should the cap become an issue.
Exactly the way I feel.

IIRC Cap Geek has him tied for 118th highest paid AAV for 2015 as the cap goes up, as more players get signed to current market deals and as his play gets better as I expect under new coaching his deal will look better and better.

I struggle to be an optimist at times but IMO good reasons to be optimistic in this situation.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Exactly the way I feel.

IIRC Cap Geek has him tied for 118th highest paid AAV for 2015 as the cap goes up, as more players get signed to current market deals and as his play gets better as I expect under new coaching his deal will look better and better.

I struggle to be an optimist at times but IMO good reasons to be optimistic in this situation.

Yeah and he really is not as bad as people say he is. He is 100% not playing to what his contract is. No question there. But he is still a #4/5 defenseman. This isn't like a situation where he shouldn't be playing in the NHL. He is just overpaid. Just because you are overpaid doesn't mean you can't be productive and automatically need to be traded for peanuts, especially if there is no need to clear cap space.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I just want all the Holmgren Holdovers with bad contracts gone (L Schenn, Vinny, AMac). He's serviceable like Schenn but grossly overpaid so we just need to find a way of dumping those three millstones in a vast ocean like Bin Laden....

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I just want all the Holmgren Holdovers with bad contracts gone (L Schenn, Vinny, AMac). He's serviceable like Schenn but grossly overpaid so we just need to find a way of dumping those three millstones in a vast ocean like Bin Laden....

Vinny and AMac are bad contracts, no argument there. But Luke Schenn a) is not a guy signed by Holmgren he, was aquired via trade with that contract in place and b) really isn't overpaid. His cap hit of $3.6 million was a pretty fair deal. He signed it after his ELC when he played pretty well. Sure it could have been a little less money for a little shorter term since he was an RFA, but then he'd still probably be getting that $3.6 million right now or close to it.

How much money do you think Luke Schenn should be making? $2 million? $3 million? Less than $2 million?

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Vinny and AMac are bad contracts, no argument there. But Luke Schenn a) is not a guy signed by Holmgren he, was aquired via trade with that contract in place and b) really isn't overpaid. His cap hit of $3.6 million was a pretty fair deal. He signed it after his ELC when he played pretty well. Sure it could have been a little less money for a little shorter term since he was an RFA, but then he'd still probably be getting that $3.6 million right now or close to it.

How much money do you think Luke Schenn should be making? $2 million? $3 million? Less than $2 million?

It's a bad contract for a 3rd pairing D man which is what he is. That is my gripe. Obviously Holmgren thought he was going to be more than that...Adam Foote or whatever. Luke has one "foot" out the door regardless and his little bro is holding onto the other one but might follow him if he has another inconsistent season. If Gudas plays just as good or better than Schenn then it will be a win for Hexy if he can unload Luke Schenn. Luke Should be getting Gudas money basically....

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
One variable not being considered by the last few posts is that within 1-2 years, a much more talented defensemen will be able to take MacDonalds spot at 1/6 the cost..which frees up money to extend our young forwards and dip into free agency.

If he can moved by next summer, I would like to see that. No need to have him around for another 4 seasons after this one at that cap hit with all of the talent coming up.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Considering last season he was badly outplayed by Nick Schultz, he should be making no more than Nick Schultz..who I believe makes a shade over $2 million.

$3.6 million is what a guy who can actually stay in the everyday lineup without being a healthy scratch should make. It's what you pay a consistently reliable 2nd pairing defensemen who isn't prone for a major gaffe nearly every game.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
In a cap-free world, MacDonald would be fine as a member of this team or as a pretty easy trade candidate. He is a decent second-pairing guy who can defend and move the puck; somewhere in that vast grey area between all-star and scrub.

But in the current league, contract status is a significant factor in evaluating a player's worth. I'm in agreement that MacDonald isn't a move-at-all-costs guy, but I don't think Hextall would balk at a deal where he could deal him away for a modest return.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I predict MacDonald has a good season and suddenly no one wants to trade him. Like Schultz.

He would have to have a massively great season to not want to move him. Even if he has a good season, he will be overpaid.

As mentioned above, I just want Hextall to have a clean slate so he can bring in guys he wants to...at prices he thinks they deserve.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
He would have to have a massively great season to not want to move him. Even if he has a good season, he will be overpaid.

As mentioned above, I just want Hextall to have a clean slate so he can bring in guys he wants to...at prices he thinks they deserve.

Agreed. Schultz was invaluable because he provided solid defense against most opposing top lines.for a very small cap hit. MacDonald would have to eclipse Streit do have the same fan value. If he has a breakout year, I predict most of us will say we are pleased with his bounce back under Hakstol and up our expectations of what he could return in a deal.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I predict MacDonald has a good season and suddenly no one wants to trade him. Like Schultz.

I predict he has the exact same season he has this year or is strictly relegated to a bottom pairing role and is "decent" in that role and is massively overpaid for the next 5 years.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Well..if you think that we got a 3rd for Rinaldo, really, we would just be losing MacD and Zac for nothing.

Well, I didn't expect to get anything of value in return for Rinaldo and I would be happy to even trade Mac for a net zero return (as opposed to adding to trade him). So I really wouldn't be too upset at that.

The only reservation I have about ditching Mac for nothing (or close to nothing) is that he's a bit of a placeholder right now so our prospects don't have to step in. Even that's not a big problem though as Schenn is still here, Manning is here, and Alt's ceiling is supposed to be a bottom pairing guy anyhow.

Last edited:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I'd give up a 3rd for someone to take that contract.

His contract is going to hurt us more and longer then Vinny or Umberger

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I'd give up a 3rd for someone to take that contract.

His contract is going to hurt us more and longer then Vinny or Umberger

Yes and no.
Within a couple of years half of the defense will be on ELCs and his cap hit won't cause much trouble. There is barely a team out there, if any, that doesn't have at least one grossly overpaid player. No excuse, just reality.

Last edited:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It's a bad contract for a 3rd pairing D man which is what he is. That is my gripe. Obviously Holmgren thought he was going to be more than that...Adam Foote or whatever. Luke has one "foot" out the door regardless and his little bro is holding onto the other one but might follow him if he has another inconsistent season. If Gudas plays just as good or better than Schenn then it will be a win for Hexy if he can unload Luke Schenn. Luke Should be getting Gudas money basically....

Considering last season he was badly outplayed by Nick Schultz, he should be making no more than Nick Schultz..who I believe makes a shade over $2 million.

$3.6 million is what a guy who can actually stay in the everyday lineup without being a healthy scratch should make. It's what you pay a consistently reliable 2nd pairing defensemen who isn't prone for a major gaffe nearly every game.

I think that Luke Schenn's poor play is greatly over exaggerated and has been since he got here. The only time Schenn was unable to stay in the lineup was last season, when he was being coached by a guy with whom everyone seems to have a problem. I am of course not saying that Luke Schenn is a superstar, but I don't think he is a scrub either. He's a solid 4/5 that can and should play on the PK and adds physicality to the defense. Is the team lost without him? Absolutely not. Would I trade him? Absolutely. But I wouldn't just trade him for a 7th rounder just to get rid of him.

His contract is over at the end of this year. We are not in a cap crunch. Absolute worst case scenario is that he sits in the press box the entire season because he gets outplayed by a rookie or Gudas, neither of which I envision happening.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
I think that Luke Schenn's poor play is greatly over exaggerated and has been since he got here. The only time Schenn was unable to stay in the lineup was last season, when he was being coached by a guy with whom everyone seems to have a problem. I am of course not saying that Luke Schenn is a superstar, but I don't think he is a scrub either. He's a solid 4/5 that can and should play on the PK and adds physicality to the defense. Is the team lost without him? Absolutely not. Would I trade him? Absolutely. But I wouldn't just trade him for a 7th rounder just to get rid of him.

His contract is over at the end of this year. We are not in a cap crunch. Absolute worst case scenario is that he sits in the press box the entire season because he gets outplayed by a rookie or Gudas, neither of which I envision happening.

This succinctly summarizes my thoughts on Schenn the Elder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad