Signing(s): Andrew Luck signs 5 year deal

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I would take Wilson over him any day/already, but this contract gives me even more reason.

IMO Colts fans, the media & football fans in general have been overrating them since he "turned around" the team his rookie year.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The cap hit on this deal is pretty massive

24 million in year 2 of the deal and 27 million in year 3. Year 4 is 28 million.

Restructuring will only help so much with that

mongolman

Nov 12, 2007
Indianapolis
No they weren't. Luck is the excuse king around here. He's a turnover machine.

No it really is his O line. They can't keep him vertical long enough to do anything. They are truly horrid and Grigson better do something to remedy that so Luck can live out this contract.

That being said I don't want it to seem that I'm placing all the blame on the O line, obviously all QBs make poor decisions, and Luck isn't immune to that. But the O line just exacerbates that since the offer no protection.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
No it really is his O line. They can't keep him vertical long enough to do anything. They are truly horrid and Grigson better do something to remedy that so Luck can live out this contract.

That being said I don't want it to seem that I'm placing all the blame on the O line, obviously all QBs make poor decisions, and Luck isn't immune to that. But the O line just exacerbates that since the offer no protection.

better scheme would help. like calling more plays that won't take forever to develop and need luck to make miraculous throws.

there are areas luck needs to improve on. i have no doubt he will. luck is the least of colts worries.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Go watch his all-22's and you'll come away with a much different point of view. Is he good? Yes. Can he be elite? Yes. Is he elite right now? Not quite. Also the funny thing with quarterbacks is that they rarely get better at what they struggle with in the NFL. Every quarterback is going to make mistakes, its football but the avoidable mistakes are what kills Luck at times.

mongolman

Nov 12, 2007
Indianapolis
Go watch his all-22's and you'll come away with a much different point of view. Is he good? Yes. Can he be elite? Yes. Is he elite right now? Not quite. Also the funny thing with quarterbacks is that they rarely get better at what they struggle with in the NFL. Every quarterback is going to make mistakes, its football but the avoidable mistakes are what kills Luck at times.

I can agree with this. I think he has the potential, just needs some more parts to assist him. All this being said I'm not even a Colts fan (I know my location says Indy). I like them, but I grew up in Philly so I'm a tried and true Eagles fan...another team with an "interesting" QB situation at the moment.

Edit: BTW I wasn't trying to say he's elite right now (sorry if it came off that way).

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The numbers are eye-popping at first, sure. But within the context of the NFL quarterback market, Andrew Luck's new deal is a pretty big letdown.

This is a deal that has been anticipated for more than a year now by people around the NFL. Agents have been drooling in anticipation of a contract they believed would set new benchmarks and really drive the top of the quarterback market upward for the first time in years. Team executives have been watching to see how much of his considerable leverage Luck would wield against the Colts.

The answer? Not that much.

Look, there's no crying for Luck here. The numbers set several records. The $87 million in injury guarantees ($47 million of which is guaranteed at signing) far surpasses the $65 million that Eli Manning got last year. The $23.3 million a year surpasses Aaron Rodgers' $22 million and Joe Flacco's $22.133 million. The $140 million total surpasses Jay Cutler's $126.7 million.

But it's not as great as it was supposed to be. The average salary is less than the $25 million many were predicting. The $47 million at signing is $13 million less than Ndamukong Suh got. Pushing off $27 million of the guarantee into the third and fourth years is seen by people around the league as too risky to the player. It's a nice deal, not a great one.

Colts OL is going to continue to suck, given how much they now have invested in Luck.

koalabear9301

Cero Miedo
May 9, 2016
Baltimore
The cap went up this year, and most like will again. In a few years, when Ryan, Cam, and Wilson's contracts are up, they're gonna look ridiculous.

As a Redskins fan (and maybe this is a good problem to have), if Kirk Cousins balls out this season, he's gonna get PAID.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Colts OL is going to continue to suck, given how much they now have invested in Luck.
Didn't realize only 40 million was guaranteed.

That said I think qbs value injury guarantees a lot more than other positions. Not sure why, you'd think it would be the opposite but guys like Brees, Kapernick and now Luck have gotten significant chunk of guarantees for injury

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

What idiot wrote this? Darren Rovell? Do they understand how contracts work? Luck's numbers are record setting. You just don't see record setting contracts that double the previous best.

koalabear9301 said:
The cap went up this year, and most like will again. In a few years, when Ryan, Cam, and Wilson's contracts are up, they're gonna look ridiculous.

As a Redskins fan (and maybe this is a good problem to have), if Kirk Cousins balls out this season, he's gonna get PAID.

You can say that about every QB every year. Only 2 are signed longer than Cam: Luck and Flacco, (2022 vs. 2021).

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
Colts got to surround him with an offensive line. If he's good as he projects, he should be able to make the pass catching options around him better. But he needs an o-line, he needs to time to make decisions and not get pounded into oblivion by week 8. He makes some bad decisions, but I think most of his turnovers are caused by forcing throws and being under pressure because he has no time back there

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
What idiot wrote this? Darren Rovell? Do they understand how contracts work? Luck's numbers are record setting. You just don't see record setting contracts that double the previous best. .

For starters Rovell isn't an idiot. Aside from that, it was Dan Graziano, one of ESPNs most well known writers and a good one at that.

I think you missed the entire point of the quote anyway. Yes its record setting but you need to read between the lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad