Andrew Gross is our new beat writer

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
He's no TG but it'll do.

And as we all know, even though he is a Rangers fan right now, within 2-3 years he will fall in love with the Devils. They're just the type of team that steals ya heart.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
He's been pretty objective splitting coverage and juggling both fan bases diplomatically up until now. I'm happy with him. I'll miss the TG snarkiness though.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Ugh smells like a Rangers fan...(Rangers beat writer and Flyers video host)

Why do people automatically assume that anyone who's ever worked for the Rangers has to be a Rangers fan or that they can't be objective? It's the same silly rap Tom got. If he wanted to stay on the Rangers beat so bad I'm sure he could have stayed there assuming he has more seniority than the guy doing the Rangers beat now.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
He's good at what he does and we should be happy to have him.

On the other hand, can't wait for him to write something not everyone agrees with so we can deal with the idiots claiming he's a biased Ranger fan. That's inevitable.

By the way, I don't think it was ever confirmed that TG is a Ranger fan. His first job was covering the Rangers for the Record... maybe that's why people think that?

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Why do people automatically assume that anyone who's ever worked for the Rangers has to be a Rangers fan or that they can't be objective? It's the same silly rap Tom got. If he wanted to stay on the Rangers beat so bad I'm sure he could have stayed there assuming he has more seniority than the guy doing the Rangers beat now.

Exactly.

How many beat writers are fans of the team they cover? Generally, they take a job that opens up regardless of what team it is.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Go read his new post on fire/ice from today.

Seems like a great, humble guy that 'gets it'

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

Joke

Head

at least, i don't think anyone ACTUALLY is bothered or thinks him or TG must be biased ranger fans who can't write objectively. i'd like to think most ppl just keep that running joke going

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I would argue that a beat writer who's a fan of your team is exactly the opposite of what you want.

You're probably right about that too, I think people are just sensitive to having 'Ranger fans' cover the team cause the Post guys and Chere toward the end were actively antagonistic toward the team, which shouldn't happen. Of course the Post is antagonistic towards everyone though, that's their brand of (cough) journalism, while Chere was a curmudgeon who probably had PTSD from covering Lou's closed door for so many years.

Joke

Head

at least, i don't think anyone ACTUALLY is bothered or thinks him or TG must be biased ranger fans who can't write objectively. i'd like to think most ppl just keep that running joke going

PLENTY of people made that criticism of TG every time he wrote something critical. You might have been joking but that doesn't mean people won't have that criticism the first time Gross writes something critical.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
He won't be a full Devils beat writer until he's gone to Hobby's Deli enough times to have a menu item named after him. Until then, he's merely a neophyt :P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad