Player Discussion Andrew Ference

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I've said it before: Say anything you want about Ference the hockey player (right now) but Ference the human being is an absolute role model.

I'm the guy that reached out to Ference and the Oilers, but there are dozens of fantastic people doing fantastic things for this kid since the story broke.

Might want to edit the title to include what the story is about. Massive kudos to CCM and Ference for stepping up in a big way here. He didn't even have to acknowledge the tweet I sent him - frankly I didn't expect him to.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Fantastic guy. Absolutely quality. Thank for sharing that!

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
All I did was send a tweet, but thanks. :)

I know exactly what it's like to grow up not being able to afford to play hockey.

Great job in bringing this story to the forefront, CO:handclap:

I really hope everything works out for this kid. I just can't imagine growing up not being able to play hockey for financial reasons. I was so incredibly lucky to have parents that were planted firmly in the middle of the middle class. Not only did I have parents who could afford to put me in hockey, but they also took me to every single game. Being reminded that there are kids out there who aren't nearly as fortunate makes me truly appreciate everything my family has ever done for me.

Ference is a truly remarkable person. I hope he can get the kid into a game or two, and into the dressing room to meet some of the other players.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Awesome work by Ference and ChaoticOrange.

Economics is the main reason hockey isn't a mainstream sport in the US. Any efforts to help disadvantaged kids experience the sport is awesome in my book.

RuneMcEres

Seasons in the Abyss
Oct 24, 2006
Bergen, Norway
Ference may not be a captain on the ice anymore, but he's a captain in the community. What a guy. I actually wouldn't surprise me if he retired this off season and got a job with the organisation. He should get one either way.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
The guy is as classy as you'll find off the ice. Great to see him still doing just that despite his career pretty much being over. :handclap:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Great job in bringing this story to the forefront, CO:handclap:

I really hope everything works out for this kid. I just can't imagine growing up not being able to play hockey for financial reasons. I was so incredibly lucky to have parents that were planted firmly in the middle of the middle class. Not only did I have parents who could afford to put me in hockey, but they also took me to every single game. Being reminded that there are kids out there who aren't nearly as fortunate makes me truly appreciate everything my family has ever done for me.

Ference is a truly remarkable person. I hope he can get the kid into a game or two, and into the dressing room to meet some of the other players.

I can't really complain overly; I had a wonderful happy and healthy upbringing, but bringing up four kids on one income didn't leave a lot of money for things like hockey. I played cheaper sports like volleyball and soccer.

I know we all complain about the nepotism in the Oilers, but to me there should be a community relations or PR job for life for Ference if he wants one.

I don't know if she posts here but she writes for HockeysFuture - Kady Hobbins' tweet was the one I saw originally and she's been reaching out all day long. Don't know her personally but seems like a fantastic person.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
I can't really complain overly; I had a wonderful happy and healthy upbringing, but bringing up four kids on one income didn't leave a lot of money for things like hockey. I played cheaper sports like volleyball and soccer.

I know we all complain about the nepotism in the Oilers, but to me there should be a community relations or PR job for life for Ference if he wants one.

I don't know if she posts here but she writes for HockeysFuture - Kady Hobbins' tweet was the one I saw originally and she's been reaching out all day long. Don't know her personally but seems like a fantastic person.

"Dictator of Community Relations for Life" has a nice ring to it. :laugh:

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
he's a great guy.

That's why when someone called him an asshat of a human being when he signed here, it rubbed me the wrong way. Ference constantly does great things for the community.

McChucky

TOPPEP
Jul 15, 2007
YEG
Hes done...but he is a great dude. Proud that he was born and raised here and made his way back....and is helping transform our community. Other people see this stuff and are likely to jump on the bandwagon and help someone out.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
"Dictator of Community Relations for Life" has a nice ring to it. :laugh:

Ference will run for elected office soon enough.

Hopefully the team keeps him on LTIR next season. He gets more money than if he gets bought out or retires. It's also the best cap option for the team next season.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Ference will run for elected office soon enough.

Hopefully the team keeps him on LTIR next season. He gets more money than if he gets bought out or retires. It's also the best cap option for the team next season.

I kinda figured that was the case when I saw him listed with a hip injury

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Should be interesting to see what happens to him this summer. Either gets bought out or retires. Can't see him retiring and walking away from over 3 mill, so a buyout it is.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Should be interesting to see what happens to him this summer. Either gets bought out or retires. Can't see him retiring and walking away from over 3 mill, so a buyout it is.

Or keep him on LTIR forever.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Or keep him on LTIR forever.

Of course he stays on LTIR. He can even move to wherever he hopes to retire. Nobody would really care where he lives at that point. Or what he does while on LTIR.

Last edited:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
He certainly is one of the good guys. He should consider running for politics someday. I can easily see him as a city councellor or NDP MLA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad