Andrew Ference and the C

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Not only am I ok with him being the captain, but I'm glad he is. Hall is the on ice leader, but he still needs some maturing. Ference comes from a winning culture, and is a good leader. Who cares that he's basically a #6 at this point

dobiezeke*

For last year and this summer, I would not have agreed with you.

At this point, everyone knows that Hall is the leader of this team. It is not only apparent in his play, but also in his off ice demeanour and how he relates his views.

This year Hall has come of age. He's ready for the C, unless there is something personal that I'm missing.

I'd almost bet that Hall will be wearing the C this time next year....after the season.

Oh yeah, and hey Ference dislikers (?). I'm wondering if there is the slightest possible chance that the way Ference carries himself has rubbed off on Hall, Nuge, Yakupov, and a few other players that may have needed veteran guidance. I know some of you may not think so. But I do.

Gretzky wasn't ready for the C in his first year either - Fogolin did an admiral job of showing how to be a leader among men in the NHL prior to the C being moved to Gretzky.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
It has never and will never bother me that he's the Captain. I know some people subscribe to the idea that the best player should be captain but the Kings don't follow that model and the Rangers made the Finals despite not even having one.

And for the younger posters benefit, we can go back to 1979 80 when Lee Fogolin was captain with Gretzky and Messier on the team. Hell, look at some of the older Canadiens teams, Boston, and Philly.

Best player does not automatically mean captain.

But sometimes it helps.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
And for the younger posters benefit, we can go back to 1979 80 when Lee Fogolin was captain with Gretzky and Messier on the team. Hell, look at some of the older Canadiens teams, Boston, and Philly.

Best player does not automatically mean captain.

But sometimes it helps.

Hall will be the Captain someday, but I'm okay with not giving him that burden.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Seems to me that Hall is the captain on ice and Ferrence is probably the captain for the dressing room and in public.

Hall probably isn't ready to be a public figure head.

I think he will end up being the Captain but who knows when. Probably not until Ferrence/Eakins is gone.

Stat Guy

Aug 30, 2014
The torch will be passed next summer.

Hall wasn't ready before, maturity wise, but this season he sure seems to have taken the step forward in that regard.
Hall has been the inspirational leader on the ice for a few seasons, and that is why he has an A, but he hadn't show the maturity to be THE GUY.
I think he is now ready, but you don't make a mid-season change without a SERIOUS incident.

Gambl0r83*

Coach picks the Captain. Ference lifestyle is a mirror image of Eakins lifestyle. He was chosen as captain based on a personal connection and similarities in values with the coach. Hall is the true captian, I think we all turn a blind eye to that C on Andrew's sweater anyway. Only benefit so far is ceremonial face offs, hope Hall is C when they get presented with their 1st cup

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Doesnt matter either way the C is ********. Makes no difference who has the letter sown on their sweater. You can tell fans have run out of things to talk about when anyone starts caring about who is captain. Leaders lead whether they have a letter or not. The position has absolutely no effect on the team and I'm sure none of the players really care.

n7

Oct 15, 2011
Edmonton
The problem with Ference isn't that Hall deserves captaincy more. I don't care who is captain, assuming they deserve to be on the ice all games.
The issue is that as long as he's C, we are not dressing our best defensive line-up.
Klefbom should be considered, but what are the odds Eakins sits our captain so a better d-man can play?
This is a real issue, as it forces us to be dressing a player who likely has been surpassed by others in abilities.

Nuge93

Stuck in a "Rebuild"
Jun 27, 2013
I'm sure Ference will know when and if it's time. He's not a selfish guy.

Seriously though, Ference is likely one of the best leaders on the team. He was an assistant captain on the Bruins, and has experience that can't be met. However, this is Hall's team, from an outside perspective anyway. The dude puts the team on his back. At least he has the A.

I have no problem that Ference was the captain last year. Nobody can match the experience he has and it has done wonders for the club so far. But moving forward, Ference SHOULD pass it down to Hall by the start of next season.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
The problem with Ference isn't that Hall deserves captaincy more. I don't care who is captain, assuming they deserve to be on the ice all games.
The issue is that as long as he's C, we are not dressing our best defensive line-up.
Klefbom should be considered, but what are the odds Eakins sits our captain so a better d-man can play?
This is a real issue, as it forces us to be dressing a player who likely has been surpassed by others in abilities.

100% this!

If Ference is still on the team come the all-star break and he hasn't watched from the press box either he will have turned his game around or Eakins has gots to go.

Does anyone think Ference will improve significantly?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
The Oilers haven't used the best player model for a long time now. Ference, Horcoff, Moreau, Smith, Buchberger, and McTavish were never the best scorers on their respective rosters.

Otherwise it would've been Weight, Smyth, Hemsky, and Hall

DarkSaturn

Sep 10, 2008
The Oilers haven't used the best player model for a long time now. Ference, Horcoff, Moreau, Smith, Buchberger, and McTavish were never the best scorers on their respective rosters.

Otherwise it would've been Weight, Smyth, Hemsky, and Hall

Weight was likely the last great captain the Oilers had, Smith was good, the rest of that list is pretty mediocre.

Actually a lot of parallels between Fayne and Smith, identical size, similar games, similar points in their careers upon coming to the Oilers. We can only hope he has some of the same leadership qualities.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Going to bump this a bit. As anyone who saunters to the all encompassing shrine of a site nhl.oilers.com knows, Hall has been getting a whole hell lotta face time with the media this year. More than normal IMO.

The transition to the captaincy has begun. Hall is now becoming the marvelous mouthpiece for the Team. Ference not as much.

Just wondering when it's going to happen.

Might be sooner than expected.

Eirhead*

I liked the Ference signing when it happened but it was a slap in the face to the current members of the team when they named him captain. I've always believed that the captain should never be someone that is bought in from another team. Now with Ference's massive decline it makes the captaincy look like a joke.

Agree 100% shouldn't have been captain in the first place. Bad call by Eakins.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Yeah, it isn't a huge deal. The letters don't really matter from a hockey stand point, but do you think it is going to start making it impossible for us to dress our best roster soon? I sort of do.

Yea, that is a good point. I actually like Ference as a captain but usually captains are midlevel or better players.

davidsitar

Apr 12, 2011
Going to bump this a bit. As anyone who saunters to the all encompassing shrine of a site nhl.oilers.com knows, Hall has been getting a whole hell lotta face time with the media this year. More than normal IMO.

The transition to the captaincy has begun. Hall is now becoming the marvelous mouthpiece for the Team. Ference not as much.

Just wondering when it's going to happen.

Might be sooner than expected.

Very true, seems like Hall does most of the talking now in post game comments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad