Andrew Ference and the C

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
For last year and this summer, I would not have agreed with you.

At this point, everyone knows that Hall is the leader of this team. It is not only apparent in his play, but also in his off ice demeanour and how he relates his views.

This year Hall has come of age. He's ready for the C, unless there is something personal that I'm missing.

I'd almost bet that Hall will be wearing the C this time next year....after the season.

Oh yeah, and hey Ference dislikers (?). I'm wondering if there is the slightest possible chance that the way Ference carries himself has rubbed off on Hall, Nuge, Yakupov, and a few other players that may have needed veteran guidance. I know some of you may not think so. But I do.

stompinstoms

Sep 1, 2014
Vancouver
Yeah, it isn't a huge deal. The letters don't really matter from a hockey stand point, but do you think it is going to start making it impossible for us to dress our best roster soon? I sort of do.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
It's inevitable that it gets passed to Hall, when and how are pretty irrelevant in the scheme of things.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Yeah, it isn't a huge deal. The letters don't really matter from a hockey stand point, but do you think it is going to start making it impossible for us to dress our best roster soon? I sort of do.

It's fathomable that Klefbom is better than Ference is now, but I don't for a second think they won't trade or buyout their captain. They've actually done both of those things in recent years.

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
For last year and this summer, I would not have agreed with you.

At this point, everyone knows that Hall is the leader of this team. It is not only apparent in his play, but also in his off ice demeanour and how he relates his views.

This year Hall has come of age. He's ready for the C, unless there is something personal that I'm missing.

I'd almost bet that Hall will be wearing the C this time next year....after the season.

Oh yeah, and hey Ference dislikers (?). I'm wondering if there is the slightest possible chance that the way Ference carries himself has rubbed off on Hall, Nuge, Yakupov, and a few other players that may have needed veteran guidance. I know some of you may not think so. But I do.

And this

Most the poster here are of the what have you done for me lately ilk.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Hall doesn't bike with the coach. That's real leadership.

Seriously though, Ference is likely one of the best leaders on the team. He was an assistant captain on the Bruins, and has experience that can't be met. However, this is Hall's team, from an outside perspective anyway. The dude puts the team on his back. At least he has the A.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I liked the Ference signing when it happened but it was a slap in the face to the current members of the team when they named him captain. I've always believed that the captain should never be someone that is bought in from another team. Now with Ference's massive decline it makes the captaincy look like a joke.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
He's not the ideal player to where the C, but it's not then end of the world as so many are prone to suggest.

Who is suggesting that?

The best captains in history are guys known to have been capable of stepping up in tight games and leading through on ice performance. I don't necessarily think Hall was ready for the C last year, but he definitely is now. I'm certain next year he will be our captain.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Hall doesnt need the C to be the leader on the team. The only issue with Ference being the captain is that we cannot scratch him for games if we have 6 better Dmen down the road.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Who is suggesting that?

The best captains in history are guys known to have been capable of stepping up in tight games and leading through on ice performance. I don't necessarily think Hall was ready for the C last year, but he definitely is now. I'm certain next year he will be our captain.

Not a serious question.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Hall doesnt need the C to be the leader on the team. The only issue with Ference being the captain is that we cannot scratch him for games if we have 6 better Dmen down the road.

Of course you can, just reassign the C or have the assistant captains rotate.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Of course you can, just reassign the C or have the assistant captains rotate.

Optics... Eakins\MacT would never do it...
When was the last time a captain was shipped up to PB? As long as Ference is an Oiler he will remain the captain.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Optics... Eakins\MacT would never do it...
When was the last time a captain was shipped up to PB? As long as Ference is an Oiler he will remain the captain.

Maybe.

I expect the Oilers may try to trade Andrew Ference early in the summer, and failing that, may consider buying him out. If Oscar Klefbom and Darnell Nurse replace him on the roster, the Oilers will save an additional 1.8M and 1.3M in the first two seasons. The penalties after that are not significant (1.16M for two years).

Being a captain does not protect you from trade or buyout. The Oilers bought out Ethan Moreau.

If he's on the team, I expect a quiet behind the scenes conversation to occur between management and Ference and a release saying that Ference has stepped down as team Captain. Ference gets to look like a good leader, knowing when to pass the baton to the teams franchise player and the Oilers get to have a nice PR moment and press-conference with Hall named as the 16th captain in Oilers history.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
I am fine with Ference as captain for as long as he is with the team. Hall is still very young. Ference is a man, extremely experienced, and an upstanding individual. You might not like how he plays hockey but he is a man to be respected.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It has never and will never bother me that he's the Captain. I know some people subscribe to the idea that the best player should be captain but the Kings don't follow that model and the Rangers made the Finals despite not even having one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad