Michael Russo: Andrew Brunette Promoted to Asst. Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/266582411.html

Brunette will be moving to a full-time coaching role (whereas he had previously been splitting time between coaching, scouting, and advising GMCF). He'll be behind the bench this season. It sounds like they're hoping he'll be able to make a bigger impact on the power play this way, and that they're redoing a lot of their PP structure this off-season.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Are players going to be required to skate slower on the PP now too?

If there was anyone around that understands how slight differences can make or break not only a PP but an entire career its Brunno. I do not know if he had above average skill set in any one area, and still put up some nice numbers with his head.

Vaneks ability molded into Brunnos knack for gettng it done.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Well, at least they are doing something.

Being serious i thnk what Brunno did as a player will be things he can translate into coaching.

Gretzky was so special he could not coach what he could do.

It would be like asking Bure or Hull to coach the PP. Skate fast and shoot hard. Thats not coachable.

Sydor had Modo, Zubov, Hull, Newindyke(i know), Langenbrunner, Lehitenen etc.. His job on the PP was to keep it moving. Brunno was out there to score.

Brunno can micro manage if the guy is in this postition looking this way your opening is here and then you move to this location. Either way he turns his back on the d man or the guy that passed the puck. Your job is to adjust to his pivot, move to the open area where he cannot see you for second. He can also teach patience. Unlike Yeo who never was an NHL player Brunno can go back to the when i, this is how I. I bet he can do wonders for Coyle and Nino.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I'd still love to see Wes Walz behind the bench soon. Considering how he helped Stamkos, I don't know how he wouldn't be a great fit for our many young kids.

Not sure how much Darby does on the bench or what Sydor's new duties/focus will be, but Wilson, Brunette and Walz would be a pretty solid set of assistant coaches.

Billy Mays Here*

Almost seems a little soon considering he only worked in the Wild offices for like, what, one year? Considering he was supposed to help with the PP and it still sucked last season I'm not all that optimistic, but congrats to him and you can't help but like Bruno anyway.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Walz has to be brought into the mix soon. I want his voice in that lockerroom even if it's in a smaller role like Darby's.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
You have to imagine he does at least something.

Or is he employed straight up by FSNorth? I know LaPanta and Greenlay are Wild employees.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Hiring people just because they played for the team is very close to just drafting people because they are from Minnesota.

Just hire the best people.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Almost seems a little soon considering he only worked in the Wild offices for like, what, one year? Considering he was supposed to help with the PP and it still sucked last season I'm not all that optimistic, but congrats to him and you can't help but like Bruno anyway.

I'm not all that optimistic either, but then again i wasn't all foamy-at-the-mouth indignant over it last year either. meh. If it fails to impress again, Yeo will get the blame. If it succeeds, Bruno is a genius and should be the head coach. bold prediction.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Wild employee.

Thanks.

He should be meeting with some players if needed. He's also one of the reasons I think we could have handled Ho-Sang.

I hope Bruno does more with the PP this year than he apparently did with it last year.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
After his influence in last season's PP... color me not impressed. I'm not going to dog him either though yet, as he wasn't calling it in game, but his impact was virtually non-existent last season.

We'll see.

J22*

Kind of funny that the PP was a big reason why fans wanted Yeo fired, yet the guy responsible for it gets a promotion and fans are ok with it.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Kind of funny that the PP was a big reason why fans wanted Yeo fired, yet the guy responsible for it gets a promotion and fans are ok with it.

Hmm... I see a lot more indifference and wanting to see how it plays out, than I see approval in this thread.

Billy Mays Here*

Bold prediction:

99% of goals scored by the Wild this season will come as a result from good puck possession behind the net. :sarcasm:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.

I'm in wait and see mode. Maybe somehow he wasn't getting the input in that he needed to and now he'll be able to.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Good for him, still really want Walz behind the bench.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota

I'm excited to see what Bruno can do with the PP on the bench instead of in the pressbox. I'm not expecting a radical improvement in the PP just from him moving down to the bench, but if Bruno's system or methods are actually productive, we should see it this year when he's able to speak directly to players instead of relaying instructions or observations through an earpiece. I've also wanted Brunette to be an assistant for awhile now as I always felt he was a good veteran leader in his final years with us. He could be a greater influence in the next few years when he's actually on the bench talking to players in the game.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Hmm... I see a lot more indifference and wanting to see how it plays out, than I see approval in this thread.

Yeah, I think there's a lot of people who are happy for him personally because he was a well-liked player here, but as far as the coaching performance goes I think there's a generally healthy dose of waiting to see what happens. I agree that the PP last season had some very underwhelming streaks, but at the very least I think it's only fair to give him a season as a full-fledged assistant coach before judging his coaching abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad