Confirmed with Link: Andrew Brunette hired as Associate Coach (3 Year Deal) Weekesy Confirmed

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Associate vs. assistant? Is that just some new lingo?
Associate is kinda seen as one step above assistant.

It’s very much semantics though.

In other news, I would love to see the Devils add Madden as the PK/defensive assistant. Not sure if they’d be willing to do that and have all ex-forwards on the staff though.

I guess for the meantime Ruff was a defender, but moving forward that might be something to think about.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Associate vs. assistant? Is that just some new lingo?
I don’t know if it’s merely just a title in some organizations or not. I’m pretty sure we haven’t had one yet from what I remember.

I don’t know if it’s just a meaningless title in some organizations, but it seems to hold weight in some and it can mean that coach is second in command. On a lot of teams there really is no assistant that’s second in command.

I remember the Kings had John Stevens under the title of associate for years and he was the first one to take over after Sutter was fired.

I’m not sure how our organization would interpret the meaning of that title, but it’s extremely obvious that Ruff might not last very long after this hiring. Andrew Brunette didn’t come here to wait behind Lindy Ruff for several years.

Reactions: Mgd31

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Forward, defender, attorney, cake decorator. I don't think it matters too much what the people did or didn't play if they're a good coach. I'd be fine with Madden as an assistant if they think he suits what the staff needs.

I always assume Associate coach means "coach-in-waiting." You see that a lot with CFB coaches where they'll be O-line/Associate or Defensive coordinator/associate. Essentially, you're telling the guy that they have the inside track to the position when the HC retires or their contract runs out, as long as everyone is still on good terms at that point.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Funny, I would have thought "Associate" would be a coach that isn't actually on the bench.

Then again, I was once give the title of "Consulting engineer", which was supposed to be a step above "Senior engineer". I always thought that title was weird. Made me feel like I wasn't part of the company anymore.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Associate is the next guy after the head coach.

Head coach
Associate
Assistant

They normally have some more responsibilities then a normal assistant as well.

Basically Head Coach in waiting. As many have said, if the Devils get off to a bad start he will probably take over for Ruff. I would also guess that as an associate he will have some say in the other assistants that are hired. Where as that might not be the case if he were just an assistant coach.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
After the criticism he got in Florida for the playoff lack of adjustment is he really the upgrade NJ wants or is he just not Recchi?
To be fair it was his first head coach gig where he was kind of thrown into the role mid-season.

I would hope he learns from that, gets some experience from Ruff as an assistant, and then is better suited to take over the head coaching job if he does.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
After the criticism he got in Florida for the playoff lack of adjustment is he really the upgrade NJ wants or is he just not Recchi?
Honestly, and I'm not saying he deserves a lot or most of the credit for Florida being good, but he was also thrown into the job under very unusual circumstances.

It's easier to see it coming when a team is underperforming and the coach expectedly gets fired, but that's not what happened in Florida. I don't think anyone really thought Quenneville wouldn't be the coach there until maybe 1 night before he actually stepped down.

I remember the decision to allow him to coach that night's game was not a very favorable one, including to myself. I was calling for them to not even let him coach that game. But he was said to have a meeting in place with Bettman the next afternoon and it was then that he announced his resignation.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Ruff's contract is up at the end of the season anyways, so even if he lasts all season I would not be surprised by a handover to Brunette.
I think that is Fitz plan. Even if Ruff makes it through the season he probably told Fitz he's leaning towards retirement.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Wasn't the Flordia PP clicking all regular season?

Yes. But they do have more higher-end talent than we do. BUT, unlike Recchi, he didn't neuter that talent on the PP. So at the very least there is that.

And actually I really like this. Again - Florida had more higher end talent. But they had Bob in goal, and Knight was so-so. So if he can keep a team with poor goalie performance winning at a high rate - well then I look forward to his eventual rise to head coach.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
I see a team that had a 1.04 GF/60 with a 7.07 xGF/60 shooting at a 2% rate 5on4. I also see a team that canned one of the brighter young head coaches in the league for a continued recycled head coach.
Well you're blind then. They were bad against Capitals who they beat because of injuries Wahington had and got swept by Tampa. And we should forget regular season, yeah they had the most points but they were always 2 goals and more down and winning game 6-5, 7-6... that doesn't work in the playoffs and we saw that.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Well you're blind then. They were bad against Capitals who they beat because of injuries Wahington had and got swept by Tampa. And we should forget regular season, yeah they had the most points but they were always 2 goals and more down and winning game 6-5, 7-6... that doesn't work in the playoffs and we saw that.
I'm less worried about what we do in the playoffs than I am actually making the playoffs to begin with.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Nevermind...I thought this was Thread about Nothing for a second :)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad