Signing(s): Andrew Berry is the new Browns GM

BergyTime37

Jun 17, 2015
He was the name that kept coming up for weeks. He is well thought of around the league, I guess this is a pretty good hire. I am a little skeptical because he was involved with the Browns in 2016 and 2017 arguably the two worst seasons by one team in NFL history.

Wonder if they'll train him on the fax machine this time, he and Sashi Brown "messed up" the paperwork during the whole AJ McArron fiasco :sarcasm:.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Browns are hiring some really smart people, Berry and Podesta Harvard grads. How it will translate to football remains to be seen but you can bet they will be using analytics in a lot of their decisions and treating things differently than a lot of traditional football people.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That’s 2 former eagles management guys who got gm jobs with Douglas in NYJ as well.

BergyTime37

Jun 17, 2015
Should've just kept Dorsey although Berry is known around the league.

Based on a few reports from Ian Rappaport, Dorsey wanted to keep Freddie for round 2. Unacceptable IMO, people rag on the Haslams for firing folks, but both of those guys needed to go.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Dorsey was awful.

I'll admit the knee-jerk hiring of Kitchens wasnt a very good idea but other than that he did a fine job IMO.

Sure the OBJ trade wasn't what they needed but to acquire a top 5 WR for what they paid isn't a bad idea.

Plus he brought experience and respect to a front office that hadn't had that in a long time.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I'll admit the knee-jerk hiring of Kitchens wasnt a very good idea but other than that he did a fine job IMO.

Sure the OBJ trade wasn't what they needed but to acquire a top 5 WR for what they paid isn't a bad idea.

Plus he brought experience and respect to a front office that hadn't had that in a long time.
Kitchens was an awful hire, Dorsey destroyed their o-line and turned a team that had a plethora of assets into a 7-9 team with little assets.

He was awful.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
He was the name that kept coming up for weeks. He is well thought of around the league, I guess this is a pretty good hire. I am a little skeptical because he was involved with the Browns in 2016 and 2017 arguably the two worst seasons by one team in NFL history.
The only thing I'd say about that is the Browns were bad by design. Whether it was necessary (or even useful) to strip the team down that much is certainly debatable, but the personnel people did a good job of executing the strip down plan.

Now, there are questions to be raised about some of their draft picks. Corey Coleman was terrible. Peppers ended up being just ok. Njoku
is not very good. Kizer was a terrible pick.

Wonder if they'll train him on the fax machine this time, he and Sashi Brown "messed up" the paperwork during the whole AJ McArron fiasco :sarcasm:.
If he had a hand in tanking that trade, he needs to list it among his accomplishments. The real shame of it is the front office cancelling Hue Jackson's dumb trade might have been a big part of triggering the power struggle that Hue Jackson ended up winning.

Reactions: BergyTime37

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Kitchens was an awful hire, Dorsey destroyed their o-line and turned a team that had a plethora of assets into a 7-9 team with little assets.

He was awful.
Dorsey had a number of problems.

- He didn't put his foot down enough when it came to the idiot Haslams bringing Hue Jackson back again.
- Like you said, he tore the o-line apart, and it was bad for two straight seasons, in part because the only meaningful draft pick he spent on the o-line was on a guard he wanted to play tackle who it turns out can't play either. Also part of this was swapping your best guard for a good but often injured pass rusher.
- Dorsey also let really bad kicking play as much of a role in tanking the prior season as bad coaching.
- The OBJ trade was dumb as was immediately giving OBJ a massive raise.
- Hiring Kitchens and watching Kitchens be such a wreck all season was awful.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

member 157595

Browns are hiring some really smart people, Berry and Podesta Harvard grads. How it will translate to football remains to be seen but you can bet they will be using analytics in a lot of their decisions and treating things differently than a lot of traditional football people.

They can hire all the smart people they want. Until ownership stops meddling and starts being patient they're not going to win anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad