Andrew Barroway to buy 51% of the Coyotes (Done, Pending BOG Approval)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Well if its to move it, where would he move it to that the league would allow cause there is the issue that i listed a bit ago.

It would be real interesting if the guy was to butt heads with Bettman. Just read Barroways bio. Managing Partner in one of the country's most successful law firms in bringing class action lawsuits against publicly traded companies. And he's only 41.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The first thought I had was this could eliminate some of the financing involved in the IA purchase.... be it from FI or the NHL.

Where it goes from that point remains to be seen, but here you are the NHL and you have someone with a big wad of cash who wants to get into your club.

Both. Barroway'll just pay out FI, the NHL wont need to lend him $$$ but hey, prolly would if asked to either way. As I mentioned up-page TL. I rather suspected this was part of the plan all along. Last years sale wasnt really a "sale". Beyond convoluted, essentially a Grand Facade while the NHL continued to roam the high arctic off~radar Whale Hunting. Looks like they landed one sooner than expected. Not unlike the Vinik & Viola situations in Florida.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Scha-Wheat!!!

With the team these RSE bums are apparently willing to ice, this could very well be the most excitement Coyote fans will have this season!

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Both. Barroway'll just pay out FI, the NHL wont need to lend him $$$ but hey, prolly would if asked to either way. As I mentioned up-page TL. I rather suspected this was part of the plan all along. Last years sale wasnt really a "sale". Beyond convoluted, essentially a Grand Facade while the NHL continued to roam the high arctic off~radar Whale Hunting. Looks like they landed one sooner than expected. Not unlike the Vinik & Viola situations in Florida.

Yah.... tend to agree with you here, K.

Not worth speculating about it until more details emerge.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It would be real interesting if the guy was to butt heads with Bettman. Just read Barroways bio. Managing Partner in one of the country's most successful law firms in bringing class action lawsuits against publicly traded companies. And he's only 41.

Well if the NHL eventually is going to want the team relocated to Portland, it could get a little ugly if he sue the league to make them accept relocation to another city.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.

I totally agree! This may confirm that all of these potential tire kickers of years gone by were never legitimate buyers! The IA clowns have never been in my eyes real buyers! My best guess is this story has a long way to go for the very simple reason that 305MM is so grossly out of line that it begs incredulity!

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It doesn't matter if the team is worth 305 or 400m, what matters is can the team make enough money to avoid the 50m loss by year 5.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

Clever move by the NHL.

Nobody in Arizona can say the NHL hasn't gone above and beyond for this franchise.

This goes even above making the NHL an attractive league for new owners, that would have happened anyway with just what the league had already done.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Clever move by the NHL.

Nobody in Arizona can say the NHL hasn't gone above and beyond for this franchise.

This goes even above making the NHL an attractive league for new owners, that would have happened anyway with just what the league had already done.

This only really gets the ownership figured out long term but it doesn't address the issue that the team isn't making money in Glendale.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Curiouser and Curiouser......

I really don't know what to make much more of this-I'm trying not to look too much one side or the other, because we probably have all the details yet.

TheLegend-what does this do for the Yotes Optically? How is the team being sold, in whatever shape or form, going to appear to the fanbase? It seems that just when they might finally be able to accept the details-assuming this story has teeth-when now someone else is buying a majority stake in the team.

Do they even notice these things, in your view, or is just "details" to them?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Is this going to go on for another "2 weeks" where we hear ad-nauseum about MOU's with the COG, and BOG approvals? :naughty:

Interesting development though. Tough to say if this is good news or bad news for the future of hockey in Glendale.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Is this going to go on for another "2 weeks" where we hear ad-nauseum about MOU's with the COG, and BOG approvals? :naughty:

Interesting development though. Tough to say if this is good news or bad news for the future of hockey in Glendale.

Hard to say at this point. Long term ownership figured out may turn things around but within 5 years i kinda doubt it.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm honestly not sure what to think of this. At first glance though, I can't help but think that this is a short-term cash infusion by the current ownership group to keep the ship moving forward towards a future, even larger source of revenue by selling the team to an outside party willing to pay top dollar once the out clause is behind them.

MarkhamNHL

Sep 22, 2012
Gotta admit Bettman takes care of his boys.

yeah but sometimes they end up in jail ;)

i'm sure IceEdge or whatever they are this month did this as a favor to Bettman. We'll see what they get out of it in a few years

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I'm honestly not sure what to think of this. At first glance though, I can't help but think that this is a short-term cash infusion by the current ownership group to keep the ship moving forward towards a future, even larger source of revenue by selling the team to an outside party willing to pay top dollar once the out clause is behind them.

Who to say the team would be sold again. They can just relocate the team themselves like Portland for example which would easily get approve by the NHL.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So after a five-year search where Gary Bettman almost needed to start flying to other planets to find an owner, this guy shows up a year later? And no one knew about it?

Hmmmm.

HMMMMMMMMMM

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
So is he doing this for strictly relocation money, or looking to still be the owner upon a move of the team?

All remains to be seen. Obviously he wants a seat at the table, medium range goal would just have to be to try & make a go of it but at what cost, just how much cash is he willing to throw against the wall in the hopes that some of it sticks we just dont know. Would he be willing to renegotiate the Lease Agreement with Glendale? Theres just so many questions & no solid inf to go on as of yet. So until the deals done & he along with IA & the NHL come out with some statements & grant interviews, just pure & completely circular speculation. :dunno:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I totally agree! This may confirm that all of these potential tire kickers of years gone by were never legitimate buyers! The IA clowns have never been in my eyes real buyers! My best guess is this story has a long way to go for the very simple reason that 305MM is so grossly out of line that it begs incredulity!

Remember, you didn't think the coyotes would stay in Arizona also and how dumb RSE was to purchase the team or the NHL to try and keep it in Phoenix. That deal went through at 170 mill. Now a deal is on the table at 305 mill a year later. So RSE retires debt, takes some money off the table and still owns 150 mill (49% of 305 mill)worth of an NHL franchise. Pretty smart guys if you ask me.

NHL franchise values are going up and the Clipper sale at 2 billion does not hurt. Only so many of them around and you have to pay to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad