Andrew Agozzino

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
I haven't heard much about him, but he is tearing it up for the LEM this year (11g/17a).
Here is what I know:

Undrafted out of Niagara in the O, where he succeeded Pietrangelo as captain in '09-10, likely due to his size (5'9", 185 lbs.).
He put up at least a PPG in each of his last 3 regular seasons in the OHL, and had apprx. PPG pace in the playoffs each year as well. This will be his first full season in the AHL.

I have never seen him play, but it seems like he's quite a little player (pun intended). Can anyone who knows more enlighten me? Thanks

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I haven't heard much about him, but he is tearing it up for the LEM this year (11g/17a).
Here is what I know:

Undrafted out of Niagara in the O, where he succeeded Pietrangelo as captain in '09-10, likely due to his size (5'9", 185 lbs.).
He put up at least a PPG in each of his last 3 regular seasons in the OHL, and had apprx. PPG pace in the playoffs each year as well. This will be his first full season in the AHL.

I have never seen him play, but it seems like he's quite a little player (pun intended). Can anyone who knows more enlighten me? Thanks

Big time character player (I think he captained Niagara for 3 seasons), hard working, good hands and vision, willing to go into dirty areas and can be real pesty at times. Basically, the way he plays the game is what you want in a player and he has the IQ and skills to be a fringe top 6 player, but he doesn't have the frame.

The #1 reason I think he wasn't signed/drafted is that with his size, it will be very difficult for him to play his game at his size. 5'9" is probably a stretch, he is closer to 5'7". So far he has proven that he can play against men in the AHL and his game translates, but that is far different than playing against NHL defensemen. I highly doubt he ever makes the NHL as a regular, but he should be a good AHL scorer for years to come.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
Big time character player (I think he captained Niagara for 3 seasons), hard working, good hands and vision, willing to go into dirty areas and can be real pesty at times. Basically, the way he plays the game is what you want in a player and he has the IQ and skills to be a fringe top 6 player, but he doesn't have the frame.

The #1 reason I think he wasn't signed/drafted is that with his size, it will be very difficult for him to play his game at his size. 5'9" is probably a stretch, he is closer to 5'7". So far he has proven that he can play against men in the AHL and his game translates, but that is far different than playing against NHL defensemen. I highly doubt he ever makes the NHL as a regular, but he should be a good AHL scorer for years to come.

Thanks henchman. Heres to hoping he turns into a Gerbe-esque player down the road (if he stays with the Avs, of course).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Gerbe , Ennis , Gionta etc....

Short players are so hard to predict for every St. Louis and Gionta there are countless other shrimps that never amount to anything in the NHL despite high skill level.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think he's much more likely to be a career AHLer or play in some euro league than be a NHL player. He's pretty good defensively and doesn't seem to be intimidated by physical play but I'm not sure he has the high end offense it seems to take to stick as a tiny guy in the NHL.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Short players are so hard to predict for every St. Louis and Gionta there are countless other shrimps that never amount to anything in the NHL despite high skill level.

...and for every Lindros or Pronger there are countless other giants that never amount to anything in the NHL despite being large.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
...and for every Lindros or Pronger there are countless other giants that never amount to anything in the NHL despite being large.

Players in that ~5'8/9" and shorter have much less slack when it comes to sticking with a NHL club. They usually have to be outstanding at something to get a shot. It may not be fair, but that is how it is. I'm not advocating that thought, but the odds are against Agozzino. In his favor though if any organization likes short centers it is the Avs.

Boris Valabik had no reason to ever be on NHL ice (or any sheet of ice in general) other than the fact that he was 6'7" yet he was given plenty of chances to carve out a role.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Players in that ~5'8/9" and shorter have much less slack when it comes to sticking with a NHL club. They usually have to be outstanding at something to get a shot. It may not be fair, but that is how it is. I'm not advocating that thought, but the odds are against Agozzino. In his favor though if any organization likes short centers it is the Avs.

Boris Valabik had no reason to ever be on NHL ice (or any sheet of ice in general) other than the fact that he was 6'7" yet he was given plenty of chances to carve out a role.

I don't necessarily disagree with that, I'm just not comfortable with writing a player off solely on his size. Fwiw I've never seen Agozzino play and if I saw him in street I wouldn't be able to recognize him.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I think he's much more likely to be a career AHLer or play in some euro league than be a NHL player. He's pretty good defensively and doesn't seem to be intimidated by physical play but I'm not sure he has the high end offense it seems to take to stick as a tiny guy in the NHL.

If he stays in the AHL I hope he'll be a Monster for a long time. It's fun to watch him play.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
If he stays in the AHL I hope he'll be a Monster for a long time. It's fun to watch him play.

What type of contract is he signed to? Can he, hypothetically (let's not all tear out my throat because there are other callups ahead of him on the depth chart), get called up to play in the show?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
What type of contract is he signed to? Can he, hypothetically (let's not all tear out my throat because there are other callups ahead of him on the depth chart), get called up to play in the show?

I believe that he's signed to an AHL contract with Lake Erie. So he would need to be signed by the Avalanche before he could be called up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad