Andrej Nestrasil

sakei

Anti-Kindl-Brigade
May 19, 2014
Zurich
I think Jurco didnt look too good so far. I would be ok with him going down for a few games to finetune his game before he comes up again as our first call-up in case of an injury.. Nesty looks ok so far, he should stay with the Wings.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
the 4th impressed me so far, especially Glendening and Andersson. both get in scoring positions and seem to play a lot better than last season..

Franzen, Abdelkader have looked good as well. I think the team as a whole is looking good so far. Franzen seems to be playing with a little extra jump.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
I think Jurco didnt look too good so far. I would be ok with him going down for a few games to finetune his game before he comes up again as our first call-up in case of an injury.. Nesty looks ok so far, he should stay with the Wings.

Jurco had a tough 2nd game, but so did Sheahan and Tatar. In the Bruins game, they had by far the best possession stats of any line.

Andersson is the least valuable player right now. Cleary should be waived when Datsyuk returns, and Andersson can be scratched.

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
I think he has been better than Jurco, and has been good overall. I would have no problem with him staying instead of Jurco as long as cleary isn't the one getting into the games. There is no reason to waive cleary and bench Jurco. And I like how everyone is playing in their roles.

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
He's looked pretty good IMO. Better than I expected. Reminds me a bit of Kopecky, although I actually think he's a little better skater with a lower center of gravity (Kopecky was always very upright iirc).

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I wasn't able to watch the game live, but I'm watching it now. Nestrasil looks very very good in this second game. Very poised with the puck, good skill, makes the right decision with it. I think we have to keep him. If any other teams were watching the pre-season and his performances so far, they'd see he has potential.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Only saw the first game, but thought he looked pretty solid on the cycle on the PP. Thought he had good positioning, and looked comfortable with the puck on his stick.

At ES I don't notice him at all whatsoever.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
He has been okay. Around the same level as Jurco is currently playing (which sadly isnt up to snuff at the moment).

I think he and Jurco will be going down for Datsyuk and Weiss when both are ready to go.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
He has been okay. Around the same level as Jurco is currently playing (which sadly isnt up to snuff at the moment).

I think he and Jurco will be going down for Datsyuk and Weiss when both are ready to go.

I'd rather Joker go down instead of Jurco. No one will pick him up. And he can slot into the top 6 in GR.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Except Joker has significantly been the better player at this very early stage(edit: of this season I mean). Significantly. Jurco's claim to good was that almost goal from the drop pass from Sheahan in which he mishandled the puck and it kept going.

Jurco as was mentioned in the preseason appears to have regressed a bit and should be sent back IMO.

smurfyeah19

Feb 3, 2012
He's not mentally ready to be a full time NHLer yet. His decision making was far too reactionary and he doesn't seem settled

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
Except Joker has significantly been the better player at this very early stage(edit: of this season I mean). Significantly. Jurco's claim to good was that almost goal from the drop pass from Sheahan in which he mishandled the puck and it kept going.

Jurco as was mentioned in the preseason appears to have regressed a bit and should be sent back IMO.

it's been two freaking games. lets wait a little bit before declaring that a player has regressed. So Jurco hasn't been showing up on the score sheet but he is probably our 2nd or 3rd most physical player on the team right now, so IMO he should stay up.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
He's not mentally ready to be a full time NHLer yet. His decision making was far too reactionary and he doesn't seem settled

Sometimes, especially with young people, you have to give them time to figure it out and get through these things.

With that said if he hasn't pulled it together when Datsyuk comes back, out of time and out of road. Back to GR :D

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Perhaps, but that is only going to come with playing in the NHL. You don't learn how to make decisions at NHL speed by playing at AHL speed.

Nesty has been fine. He has certainly come a long way in a short period of time and his skating has never looked better. I think he has the potential to develop into a useful NHler but I don't think he has a super high ceiling. As others have said he is far and away at his best below the circles and along the boards. I most certainly would not, however, keep Nesty up at the expense of Jurco.

Actual Thought*

I've been more underwhelmed with Jurco than I have been with Nestrasil. To me, Nestrasil has been creating some havoc out there and is strong on the puck.

After two NHL games, it is a bit strange this thread was brought up.

Also, I'm not so confident Nestrasil will clear waivers. Jurco should be the odd man out when Datsyuk returns.

I agree. Nesty looks more decisive. He makes quicker decisions. Jurco hasn't looked like he is determined to stay.

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
Personally, I've been very impressed with the kid's poise (thus far) as a rookie. He's certainly exceeded any and all of my expectations and seems to be gaining Babcock's trust with each passing game. When Datsyuk returns, I don't see him being waived (I hope, because I feel he would be picked up based on what he's shown so far). These are the lines I'm hoping for (send down Jurco for more seasoning):

Nyquist Zetterberg Franzen / Abdelkader
Datsyuk Helm Abdelkader / Franzen
Nestrasil Sheahan Tatar
Miller Glendening Andersson

What do you think? Also, curious what everyone thinks his upside is...I still see a Kopecky+ type of player.

GeoSacks

Sep 11, 2007
Southern Ontario.
Now and then, worse players get claimed as well. It really depends on whether anyone's suffering from enough injuries when he's waived to warrant taking a chance on him.

Miller (whom I'm a huge fan of now) was pretty mediocre when we claimed him.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I'm really interested in how Nestrasil progresses from here, particularly offensively. My expectations are that he carries similar value to that of Joakim Andersson. Not as good defensively, but perhaps better offensively.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Aaaah! Remember the good ole days when Datsyuk was a 3rd/4th liner.:laugh:

Datsyuk was magic in his limited role. You could see from day one that he was special. Nestrasil is not special in the slightest. Literally the most exciting thing about him is that he is essentially a revived asset and with a few points and a sustained level of energy/physicality, he might actually become a player that teams covet as the lesser piece in a package deal.

With that said, I like Nestrasil enough. As of now, he wins a decent amount of board battles, but often looks lost once he comes up with the puck and has blown a couple great opportunities to get the puck to the net and/or to an open teammate near the net after winning the battle. But if he can learn how to distribute the puck a touch better after winning those battles, he could be a valuable player. I'm all for giving him several months (yes, months) worth of games to see if he can survive the learning curve and progress, largely because he hasn't given up on himself thus far and seems to recognize career opportunities when he gets them.

I also wouldn't be that opposed to sending Jurco down at the expense of keeping Nestrasil around for now. I haven't been as impressed with him as I was last year and he had a pretty mediocre pre-season in my book. There's some fine-tuning he could do in Grand Rapids. Also, I'm going to commit sacrilege here and say that I would welcome the kid line being broken up. I love it because its an exciting line but it isn't productive enough as a 2nd line just yet.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm really interested in how Nestrasil progresses from here, particularly offensively. My expectations are that he carries similar value to that of Joakim Andersson. Not as good defensively, but perhaps better offensively.

I've read a lot of projections of him becoming like Kopecky. That'd be A.O.K with me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad