Andrei Vasilevskiy retains top spot on Tampa Bay Lightning top 20

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
andrei_vasilevskiy_tampa_bay_020816.jpg
Photo: Andrei Vasilevskiy would be leading the AHL in save percentage (.935) if the Lightning hadn’t decided that he was ready to become an NHL goaltender midway through the season. (Courtesy of Richard A. Whittaker/Icon Sportswire)

</p>Tampa Bay Lightning General Manager Steve Yzerman has maintained a fine balance between keeping a competitive team on the ice with Stanley Cup aspirations, while still having a strong prospect group. The team’s top five scorers were all drafted and developed in-house and there’s a wave of prospects in Syracuse of the AHL that could be ready to fill voids left by departing free agents next season.… read more

The post Andrei Vasilevskiy retains top spot on Tampa Bay Lightning top 20 appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Last edited by a moderator:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Erne, Point and Gusev a few spots too high. Koekkoek too low. Yan and Spencer too high Blujus and Joseph too low. DiGiacinto, Macloed I'd drop for Wilcox, Walcott.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Erne, Point and Gusev a few spots too high. Koekkoek too low. Yan and Spencer too high Blujus and Joseph too low. DiGiacinto, Macloed I'd drop for Wilcox, Walcott.

Erne is a touch too high, Peca is way too low, and Gusev is way too high. Other than that, solid list.

Just curious, as a non-Tampa fan, why are you guys so low on Gusev? He's 23 and has put up a point per game since being traded to SKA (KHL is a tough league). Is it because he likely won't be in the NHL for another two years?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Just curious, as a non-Tampa fan, why are you guys so low on Gusev? He's 23 and has put up a point per game since being traded to SKA (KHL is a tough league). Is it because he likely won't be in the NHL for another two years?

I don't think his game will translate to the North American style like Panarin has. Someone his size needs space which is what he gets on the big ice. I also think it'll be tough to crack our top 6 right now and I can't see him being a factor if he isn't in the top 6.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation

We don't deny that he has the skill but his size is a negative when it comes to the smaller north american ice so we're unsure of how well he will translate. Still want him over here though

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I don't think his game will translate to the North American style like Panarin has. Someone his size needs space which is what he gets on the big ice. I also think it'll be tough to crack our top 6 right now and I can't see him being a factor if he isn't in the top 6.

Lol, it's exactly what people said about Panarin before the season. Now they say, he's a 7 year pro from the 2nd best league in the world and shouldn't get Calder. I bet, they will say the same about Gusev... Gusev is 5'10 btw, so he won't be the smallest player in the league by far.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Lol, it's exactly what people said about Panarin before the season. Now they say, he's a 7 year pro from the 2nd best league in the world and shouldn't get Calder. I bet, they will say the same about Gusev... Gusev is 5'10 btw, so he won't be the smallest player in the league by far.

Um, I'm pretty sure Kane has a lot to do with Panarin being as successful as he has. Gusev is 170 pounds though and the KHL isn't a physical league, he will need time to adjust.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Um, I'm pretty sure Kane has a lot to do with Panarin being as successful as he has. Gusev is 170 pounds though and the KHL isn't a physical league, he will need time to adjust.

Panarin is listed 5'11 170, and Kane as well. And of course there is a chemistry between them, which helps. I think, if Gusev is forced to play on the 4th line as a checker, he won't get a lot of success, but combine him with a good scorer, and a result may be different.

That's the case. If the team needs a potentially very good top6 winger, it will give him a chance on his terms, if not, then I bet there will be enough NHL teams, that are ready to play this gamble. Like it was with Panarin. I think, if Tampa's management don't see Gusev on the roster, they should trade him.

Pity it's kinda late right now, because Nikita extended the contract for another 2 years, but he'll be only 25, when the contract expires, good age to start his NHL career.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
To me it's just all about whether or when he's going to come over. Hard to rate him super high if we might never see him. I have faith in his ability and our ability to get the best out of him given our success rate with smaller players.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
A PPG in the KHL is impressive. He'll be an NHL'r and a good one. Letting him go is a stupidty and all the doubts about the size are a non-issue, all the time the same story.
Players like Gusev that are so so skilled and with such a high IQ battle through the size disadvantatge. If not look at Gaudreau or Marty

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Gusev has 11 points in 9 GP in the playoffs btw. It's again the same lime winning games for SKA, just Gusev isntead of Panarin, and they look as good as they did last season.

Gusev isn't as good dangler, as Panarin, and his shot isn't as good as well, but his creativity and IQ are just amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad