News Article: Andrei Markov is the Montreal Canadiens candidate for the Masterton trophy

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=760517

The 36-year old Markov is completing his 14th NHL season. Throughout the season, he has been a true example of sportsmanship, perseverance and determination. Drafted by the Canadiens in the sixth round at the 1998 NHL Entry Draft, Markov has played the Canadiens’ 76 games so far this season. He has missed only one game since the 2012-13 season, after being out of the lineup for 75 games and 69 games, respectively, in 2010-11 and 2011-12 due to injuries.

Good for Markov! :handclap:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Interesting selection but deserved as the guy keeps going, even after people said he was done.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Good for Markov.

It'll likely go to Letang or Stempniak

Yeah probably.

I wonder whose road back to the NHL was the hardest though. Blowing out your knee twice in 2 years is usually a death sentence in the NHL. Letang was young and it was a fluke what happened to him, I'm sure it was a struggle but I don't remember his career being in jeopardy.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Yeah probably.

I wonder whose road back to the NHL was the hardest though. Blowing out your knee twice in 2 years is usually a death sentence in the NHL. Letang was young and it was a fluke what happened to him, I'm sure it was a struggle but I don't remember his career being in jeopardy.

Good point. Still see Letang winning it as his injury was more 'scary'. But as you said, the road back was much harder for Markov.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Well deserved. Obviously continuing to thrive after a few injuries isn't as dramatic as some of the recent life threatening injuries, or even what Pacioretty went through a few years ago, but Markov deserves a lot more praise for how hard he has dedicated himself.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Stempniak? What happened to him? I had Dubnyk in mind.

I don't think Dubnyk should even be considered. He did what lot of goalies did which is serve his time in the AHL before graduating in the NHL and then took couple of years to reach his prime. It's not like he is 35 and played in some obscure european leagues. He is 28 and a first round draft pick it's not like he is coming out of nowhere. He played 8 games in the AHL in 2013-2014 after montréal acquired him but i don't think it should be enough to win the masterton specially since we did not have any place for him and he was still young for a goalie.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
This really isn't an aware you want to win anyways. But Markov deserves the nomination for it.

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
Luv Markov the guy is solid consistent shift after shift year after year. In regards to the playoffs I would start to rest him or manage his minutes come to think about it. I would manage, DD, Gallagher, Pleks , Price, Subban. Not all at the same time but here and there.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
Favorite Hab, I thought he was done with those knee injuries and he just keeps showing that he's far from done. Playing top minutes and playing like a top defencemen without the skating ability he used to have but he adapted really well.
And thank jesus Bergevin didn't give up on him, alot of people questioned that 3 year contract but so far looks like a perfect deal.

For what he's done in Montreal he deserves a cup, let's bring it home boys!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad