Andrei Markov for WC team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Any chance of him making the World Cup team?

I know he has some chance obviously, but i'd like to know if he's more on the bubble or more of a sure thing?

He's my favorite player, so i'd love to watch him on the international level

Much appreciated...

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
If I was picking 8 Russian defensemen, I would include him on the team. Here's who I would choose: Anton Volchenkov, Dmitri Kalinin, Andrei Markov, Danny Markov, Sergei Gonchar, Boris Mironov, Sergei Zubov, Vladimir Malakhov

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
I'm don't know how the Russians think, but this is how I would do. Sergei Zubov probably won't play as he had said no to previous tournaments.

Vladimir Malakhov - Daniil Markov
Philadlephia pairing playing very good at the moment in the playoffs

Sergei Gonchar - Darius Kasparitis
One of the best offensive d-men in the game, with the tough Kasparitis. Nice pairing IMO.

Alexei Zhitnik - Boris Mironov
Tough and heavy pairing, with a lot of experience.

Dmitri Kalinin, Andrei Markov
Two younger d-men. Kalinin was playing the World Champs, and will get more experience in this tournament. Markov is a good depth guy, and I think he'll go with the team.

Anton Volchenkov - Need some more years among the best
Alexander Khavanov - Eh.. no thanks, too soft.
Vitaly Vishnevski - Could be a alternative, good defensive d-man. Will be even better for the years to come.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Robertsson 4-ever said:
I'm don't know how the Russians think, but this is how I would do. Sergei Zubov probably won't play as he had said no to previous tournaments.

Vladimir Malakhov - Daniil Markov
Philadlephia pairing playing very good at the moment in the playoffs

Sergei Gonchar - Darius Kasparitis
One of the best offensive d-men in the game, with the tough Kasparitis. Nice pairing IMO.

Alexei Zhitnik - Boris Mironov
Tough and heavy pairing, with a lot of experience.

Dmitri Kalinin, Andrei Markov
Two younger d-men. Kalinin was playing the World Champs, and will get more experience in this tournament. Markov is a good depth guy, and I think he'll go with the team.

Anton Volchenkov - Need some more years among the best
Alexander Khavanov - Eh.. no thanks, too soft.
Vitaly Vishnevski - Could be a alternative, good defensive d-man. Will be even better for the years to come.

What's Kasparaitis and Zhitnik's status with Russia? Kasparaitis is from Lithuania. Why no Zubov? This whole deal with the former Soviet republics is confusing.

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
Shoalzie said:
What's Kasparaitis and Zhitnik's status with Russia? Kasparaitis is from Lithuania. Why no Zubov? This whole deal with the former Soviet republics is confusing.

Kasparitis played in the last Olympics if I'm not mistaken. Both Zhitnik and Vishnevski are born in Ukraine I think, but the World Cup rules are not as hard as them in the Olympics.

Oleg Tverdovsky could be an option, he seems to have had a good season in Russia.

EDIT: Zubov haven't played in the last tournaments for Russia, and I assume he won't do it this time either. Russian players often have "strange" relationships to their home country.

ZBORNAJA

Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
Shoalzie said:

They both played for Russia as long as i remember ,they have both russian citizenship..
Zubov and probably even Zhitnik now dont want to play for country..U see when u get all the milions and grab the god for balls u know what matters in life..READ:They are cash *******..
Kasparaitis is washed up ,he was terrible in SLC on big ice,and coming after the injury things can be only worse..i hope he doesnt get to play..

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Thanks for all the replies fellas, I appreciate it...IMO, I think the defensive pairings might look like this, or at least, I hope they will...

Danny Markov-Vladimir Malakhov
Sergei Gonchar-Alexei Zhitnik
Boris Mironov-Andrei Markov

Dmitri Kalinin-Anton Volchenkov

IMO, Kasparaitis, has no business being there, no offense, but this is a World Class tournament with World Class players, who have World Class talent...

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
You people don't even understand that Oleg Tverdovsky will be Russia's no. 1 choice!!!!!!!!!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
wilka91 said:
You people don't even understand that Oleg Tverdovsky will be Russia's no. 1 choice!!!!!!!!!

That probably has to do with the fact that he played in the RSL this year, so not much NA fans have had the chance to follow his season this year...

Either way, if he's Russia's 1st choice, well they have more problems than I thought :shakehead

No offense to Tverdovsky...

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
1. The tournament is played on big rinks.
2. Kasparitis is needed to though up the d, if Ulf Samelsson still played he would be alock for Sweden. Such d-men must be used.
3. Kasparitis would be a perfect partner for Gonchar.

With Kasparitis-Gonchar and Markov-Malakhov Russia have a really good top-4. Tverdovsky could be on the third with a defensive minded d-man as Boris Mironov or Alexei Zhitnik.

ZBORNAJA

Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
Robertsson 4-ever said:
1. The tournament is played on big rinks.
2. Kasparitis is needed to though up the d, if Ulf Samelsson still played he would be alock for Sweden. Such d-men must be used.
3. Kasparitis would be a perfect partner for Gonchar.

With Kasparitis-Gonchar and Markov-Malakhov Russia have a really good top-4. Tverdovsky could be on the third with a defensive minded d-man as Boris Mironov or Alexei Zhitnik.

NAh i still belive KAsparaitis is totally washed up...If he was 5 years younger maybe...But he was obviously strungling in SLC,big ice also means bigger small mistakes ... Injuries are slowly getting to him,he just aint the same player anymore ...

Madevilz

Nov 9, 2003
Montreal
What's up with so many russians refusing to play for their country?
I havent heard of any from other countries :banghead:

joe_shannon_1983*

Here is my Russian defense:

Sergei Gonchar - Daniil Markov
Darius Kasparaitis - Sergei Zubov
Alexei Zhitnik - Dmitri Yushkevich
Andrei Markov - Oleg Tverdovsky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad