Andrei Markov announces retirement

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Bergevin not getting him to a 1000 games is a crime. One of the many mistakes of his horrible 2017 off-season.

I always find it funny how people make such a big deal about round numbers
990, 1000 - who cares?

Dont get me wrong i love Markov and i wanted him back - in fact im one of the few habs fan who still wanted him back this season. Its just the obsession with the rounded number of 1000 is weird

To me its more about winning games, mentoring others, maybe going for a cup...and for him it should be more about the extra year salary at a few M$ or so

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
MB offered him a contract. Markov turned it down and chose the KHL. I don't see how MB is to blame in this.

Didn't the Habs say that he wanted too much and he took less in the KHL supposedly than they said he was asking for?

I may be wrong but I remember Markov saying he wanted to be a Hab too.

Reactions: Gravity

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Didn't the Habs say that he wanted too much and he took less in the KHL supposedly than they said he was asking for?

I may be wrong but I remember Markov saying he wanted to be a Hab too.

Yeah he did want to be a hab and always said so. Markov was playing hardball a bit at first (2 years only, not 1 year, and wanted a certain amount) - but eventually his stance softened a bit. I think Habs simply eventually decided to move on - instead of making it work. Which is what habs fan resent.

Markov wanted and was ready to find a way to make it work - Habs management weren't anymore. It was very poorly handled from Bergevin.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Yeah he did want to be a hab and always said so. Markov was playing hardball a bit at first (2 years only, not 1 year, and wanted a certain amount) - but eventually his stance softened a bit. I think Habs simply eventually decided to move on - instead of making it work. Which is what habs fan resent.

Markov wanted and was ready to find a way to make it work - Habs management weren't anymore. It was very poorly handled from Bergevin.
Bergevin always has a my way or the highway approach! The Subban bridge deal went horribly wrong for Bergie and then he had to open the bank on that next deal and then.... you know what happened next!

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Bergevin always has a my way or the highway approach! The Subban bridge deal went horribly wrong for Bergie and then he had to open the bank on that next deal and then.... you know what happened next!

Yep, we ended up with a better defenseman instead. I don't see how that's "horribly wrong".

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
MB offered him a contract. Markov turned it down and chose the KHL. I don't see how MB is to blame in this.
He never made it right with him. Markov wanted 2 years and deservedly so after all he was/has been the best habs defenseman of the past decades and a loyal servant. Markov was also only missing 10 games to reach 1000 games. It was a dick move more ridiculous once you realize his replacement was Alzner.

This should have got Bergevin fired, and to make it worse he has never tried to correct this mistake. I don't even care the habs missing the playoff for the last 3 years without Markov. The disrespect to him has made me want his head. I truly despise and cannot trust Bergevin anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad