Andreas Lilja

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
A former long time player in the National Hockey League has just made a stunning revelation in a recent foreign language interview. 44 year old Andreas Lilja recently made comments published by Swedish website Aftonbladet where he revealed the horrific tole that his career in the league has taken on him, a career that he can no longer even recall.
Speaking in his native language of Swedish Lilja revealed to the website that after a particularly hard hit from now Montreal Canadiens defenseman Shea Weber had left him severely concussed. The concussion would lead Lilja to have doctors perform a scan of his brain in order to make sure everything was ok, and it was then that doctors told him he could potentially become a vegetable if he continued his career in the NHL.
"I had a lot of blood vessels forming a ball that was sitting on the outside of the brain. Venous angioma," revealed Lilja as per the Swedish website. "The doctor said to me: 'I can't allow you to play, if you get a tackle and it breaks then you are brain dead on the spot because it fits together with the head pulse vein.'"
It is sad to hear Lilja speak of how little he remembers from his playing career. The former NHL defenseman, who played 580 games split between the Detroit Red Wings, Philadelphia Flyers, Los Angeles Kings, Anaheim Ducks and Florida Panthers, revealed that he can't even reminisce on things like his Stanley Cup victory with the Detroit Red Wings because he simply does not remember any of it.
"Of course. I love to sit and talk to old teammates, but the problem is that I don't remember anything. Sometimes a light comes up for me, that I think: 'Just f***ing, god so much fun'. But the fact is that I hardly remember any matches…"
To be clear Lilja was not sharing his story as some sort of spiteful way to get back at the sport of hockey or even the NHL itself. The Swedish blue liner believes that hitting is a part of the sport and should remain as such, although he admits he has no solutions to the potential problem of head injuries.
"But hockey is a contact sport, tackles are part of the game. I do not know how to overcome the problem, the feeling is that it is getting worse and worse. Nevertheless, you are better at taking care of the players nowadays. In my time you just stuffed an Alvedon in and played on."
In fact Lilja went so far as to suggest that the onus should be on the player protecting himself from hits to be aware of where he is at all times, and perhaps more importantly where his opponents are coming from at all times.
"I think a lot depends on the players not protecting themselves properly, that they are not aware that the firefighters are coming. In my time there was lesson number one: Do not go head down in the middle zone, if you do it then it slaps!"
It is very sad to hear how bad things are for Lilja today and in many ways it echoes some of the sentiments of another former Red Wing in Johan Franzen who has also had terrible struggles after his career. I wish Lilja and any other athletes suffering from these issues all the happiness they can possibly find in their lives after their respective sports.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
A former long time player in the National Hockey League has just made a stunning revelation in a recent foreign language interview. 44 year old Andreas Lilja recently made comments published by Swedish website Aftonbladet where he revealed the horrific tole that his career in the league has taken on him, a career that he can no longer even recall.
Speaking in his native language of Swedish Lilja revealed to the website that after a particularly hard hit from now Montreal Canadiens defenseman Shea Weber had left him severely concussed. The concussion would lead Lilja to have doctors perform a scan of his brain in order to make sure everything was ok, and it was then that doctors told him he could potentially become a vegetable if he continued his career in the NHL.
"I had a lot of blood vessels forming a ball that was sitting on the outside of the brain. Venous angioma," revealed Lilja as per the Swedish website. "The doctor said to me: 'I can't allow you to play, if you get a tackle and it breaks then you are brain dead on the spot because it fits together with the head pulse vein.'"
It is sad to hear Lilja speak of how little he remembers from his playing career. The former NHL defenseman, who played 580 games split between the Detroit Red Wings, Philadelphia Flyers, Los Angeles Kings, Anaheim Ducks and Florida Panthers, revealed that he can't even reminisce on things like his Stanley Cup victory with the Detroit Red Wings because he simply does not remember any of it.
"Of course. I love to sit and talk to old teammates, but the problem is that I don't remember anything. Sometimes a light comes up for me, that I think: 'Just f***ing, god so much fun'. But the fact is that I hardly remember any matches…"
To be clear Lilja was not sharing his story as some sort of spiteful way to get back at the sport of hockey or even the NHL itself. The Swedish blue liner believes that hitting is a part of the sport and should remain as such, although he admits he has no solutions to the potential problem of head injuries.
"But hockey is a contact sport, tackles are part of the game. I do not know how to overcome the problem, the feeling is that it is getting worse and worse. Nevertheless, you are better at taking care of the players nowadays. In my time you just stuffed an Alvedon in and played on."
In fact Lilja went so far as to suggest that the onus should be on the player protecting himself from hits to be aware of where he is at all times, and perhaps more importantly where his opponents are coming from at all times.
"I think a lot depends on the players not protecting themselves properly, that they are not aware that the firefighters are coming. In my time there was lesson number one: Do not go head down in the middle zone, if you do it then it slaps!"
It is very sad to hear how bad things are for Lilja today and in many ways it echoes some of the sentiments of another former Red Wing in Johan Franzen who has also had terrible struggles after his career. I wish Lilja and any other athletes suffering from these issues all the happiness they can possibly find in their lives after their respective sports.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Can someone sum this up for me? No offense OP but it is structured as a real eyesore to read.

Lilja got concussed, had a brain scan, doctors found a medical condition that could leave him braindead from a single hit.

Has memory problems, doesn't remember things like celebrating winning the cup.

Feels hitting is part of hockey and that it's on the players being hit to keep themselves safe. They have to be aware of what's happening and where their opponents are.

There you go, since you can't be bothered the 60 seconds to read the text.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Apparently he was able to return in 09-10 because he found 3 doctors who gave the green light. But no one would offer him insurance so he played uninsured in the NHL after coming back...

Reactions: 14ari13

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Whatever happened to the league taking a look at the upper body equipment and how it may or may not cause more impactful hits? I feel like that was a fair discussion for a moment. Did they just conclude it wasn't a factor at all?

Reactions: Henkka

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Whatever happened to the league taking a look at the upper body equipment and how it may or may not cause more impactful hits? I feel like that was a fair discussion for a moment. Did they just conclude it wasn't a factor at all?
Don't recall them ever looking into that.

Its almost comical how much bigger shoulder pads have gotten.

575ae07f6f505.image.jpg

GettyImages-53129007.jpg

CLcUu9m.png

jVN8uaa.png

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Awareness to this issue is important. Minimizing the risk as much as possible for players and creating awareness among players/staff/organizations is key. No reason to play on like old days and make things worst with the known health risks now. I don't think we can eliminate injury's, or the contact, Lilja kind of eluded to that. Maybe hockey takes a look at helmets like the NFL did? Some sort of mouth-guard introduction? Idk. Do they already?

NHL/NFL have some issues in head injury's and I don't think the sports can eliminate them but they can help reduce things and care for players after. People understand what's at stake now more than just 10 years ago imo and prior to around the 2010 year I think a lot of people including myself were just ignorant to what was going on from 1960-2007. lol.

I'm not pretending to be an expert, just know more needs to be done, and not placing blame either. Just more needs to be done.

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
Lilja got concussed, had a brain scan, doctors found a medical condition that could leave him braindead from a single hit.

Has memory problems, doesn't remember things like celebrating winning the cup.

Feels hitting is part of hockey and that it's on the players being hit to keep themselves safe. They have to be aware of what's happening and where their opponents are.

There you go, since you can't be bothered the 60 seconds to read the text.
he can't remember his career

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Mike Babcock gets a lot of hipster hate on here, posters refusing to acknowledge anything good he did and blaming him for anything and everything.

But there is one thing I absolutely hold him responsible for and that's wrecking Lilja's career. In the 08-09 season Babcock scratched Lilja and called him out publically for lack of toughness. After that Lilja started fighting. In Feb 2009 Lilja fought Shea Weber and got destroyed. He missed the rest of the regular season and the entire playoff run with a concussion and was never the same again.

Good job Babs, I hope you're proud of yourself.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
There are a couple of big plays Lilja made I wish I could forget.

Jokes aside, the guy provided reasonable defense at a very cheap price. I don't think he ever made more than $1 or $1.25M in Detroit. He helped Detroit win a cup and played a role in a great era of Detroit hockey.
I hate reading stories like this. Or like Franzen's.

It was hard to watch the Probert movie and I put it off for a long, long time.
Because I feel some responsibility. I cheered on fighting.

Same with hitting. I stood up and cheered when Kronwall killed Havlat and Konstantinov killed Hawerchuk.

Look - hockey is not for the meek.
These guys do it because a) they always wanted to do it. b) They get paid millions and are treated like kings.

Even Lilja must have made close to $10M in his career.
And he's still in the game making money as a coach.

There's a risk that comes with all this.
And it's a substantial risk.

First off, how many people suffer these kinds of consequences lifelong who never even make the show? All those AHLers and ECHLers etc, who don't make enough money to live on for the rest of their lives.

The NHL needs to reduce risks. Sensible equipment. Padded shoulder "pads" and elbow "pads" instead of hard plastic shields.

You could eliminate hitting, I guess. Ban fighting. A lot of people would support that.
A lot of people wouldn't.

It would change the nature of the entertainment.

I don't know. Something about the chaos of hockey violence connects with me.

When AA goes after a Leaf with a cheap shot after Muzzin body slams Mantha - I get that. That's exactly what I'd do in my hockey league if we didn't have to worry about work and criminal charges, etc. You take out my guy, I'm taking out your guy. Anyone who's ever played team hockey knows what that is.

There's certainly more to hockey than that.

But that sort of chaos lives in all hockey players. It's part of what makes hockey fun to watch and fun to play.
In the NHL, they're paid handsomely to accept the risk that comes with occasionally demonstrating that insanity. To play the way we'd want to play without worrying about "work the next day" or, in most cases, "criminal charges."

What would hockey be like without violence?

A lot safer, for sure.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The NHL needs to reduce risks. Sensible equipment. Padded shoulder "pads" and elbow "pads" instead of hard plastic shields.

It's interesting how the padding should be also outside the equipment. Protecting the opponent, not just the hitter.

Reactions: MBH

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Don't recall them ever looking into that.

Its almost comical how much bigger shoulder pads have gotten.

575ae07f6f505.image.jpg

GettyImages-53129007.jpg

CLcUu9m.png

jVN8uaa.png

I at least recall Ken and Mickey having that discussion for a few minutes during a pre-game. Here's a video from 4 years ago of another discussion:

I'm not sure how much the whole sponsorship money issue comes into play here but it wouldn't surprise me if both the hockey equipment manufacturers and the league just agreed that it's best to quiet down that whole narrative.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I at least recall Ken and Mickey having that discussion for a few minutes during a pre-game. Here's a video from 4 years ago of another discussion:

I'm not sure how much the whole sponsorship money issue comes into play here but it wouldn't surprise me if both the hockey equipment manufacturers and the league just agreed that it's best to quiet down that whole narrative.

Don Cherry has been calling for sensible padding for more than a decade.
Probably closer to 20 years.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Don Cherry has been calling for sensible padding for more than a decade.
Probably closer to 20 years.

I don't watch Don Cherry so when he says "sensible padding" did he mean the stuff they used today or the softer stuff?

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
What other players in the league have similar stories? Paul Kariya? Kind of forget what happened to him. I guess Eric Lindros is an obvious one

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
What other players in the league have similar stories? Paul Kariya? Kind of forget what happened to him. I guess Eric Lindros is an obvious one
Virtually every hockey player has been concussed at some point or another, Sid missed some time after his second major one.

LaFontaine, Keith Primeau, Deadmarsh, Geoff Courtnall (I'm a Caps fan), Savard, Pavel Bure (though he had other issues as well), Pronger (though he was nearing the end anyways).

THer are non-checking concussions that ended careers as well, Scott Stevens (ironically) was hit in teh head with a puck, Richter took a knee to the head, and a few players suffered concussions from fighting such as Barnaby and Stu Grimson.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Virtually every hockey player has been concussed at some point or another, Sid missed some time after his second major one.

LaFontaine, Keith Primeau, Deadmarsh, Geoff Courtnall (I'm a Caps fan), Savard, Pavel Bure (though he had other issues as well), Pronger (though he was nearing the end anyways).

THer are non-checking concussions that ended careers as well, Scott Stevens (ironically) was hit in teh head with a puck, Richter took a knee to the head, and a few players suffered concussions from fighting such as Barnaby and Stu Grimson.

There are also some players who took rather light non head hits into the boards and got concussed. I can't remember who, but there was a player years back who talked about getting hit gently into the boards and he found out later he was concussed from it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad