Proposal: Andreas Johnsson for Kyle Turris at 50% + 2020 3rd

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Oh this will go over well like an AA meeting at Oktoberfest

AJ: 3.4 mil for 3 more years, LW prorated 62 games, 11.5 games, 18.7 assists, 30.2 points

KT: 3 Mil for 4 more years, C, 62 games, 9 goals, 22 assists, 31 points

Preds get a winger, Toronto gets a 3rd line C. Preds get younger, Leafs get experience. Leafs get an extra 400K and a 3rd to even things out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I don't follow Nashville.

Has Turris played well for them?

Four years at $3-million is a lot for an older, declining player. Does Turris fit in that category, and is he worth that commitment?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Their entire existence from 1998 to present. They never spend to the cap limit and, despite recent success, they are still a small market team.

The media rumor is the Preds plan on buying out Turris. That's 2 mil for 8 friggin years. And they get nothing

With this, Preds have to spend 3 mil for 4 years and get a wing.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Their entire existence from 1998 to present. They never spend to the cap limit and, despite recent success, they are still a small market team.

Lol, you're very misinformed about Nashville. They have been able to spend to the cap for about a decade now.

I don't follow Nashville.

Has Turris played well for them?

Four years at $3-million is a lot for an older, declining player. Does Turris fit in that category, and is he worth that commitment?

He played well the first year, was completely decimated by injuries year two and then was in Laviolette's dog house this past year. He can still hit 50 points, but he's soft and doesn't really battle much.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
He played well the first year, was completely decimated by injuries year two and then was in Laviolette's dog house this past year. He can still hit 50 points, but he's soft and doesn't really battle much.
Much thanks for the info.

The Leafs probably already have more than enough soft players who don't battle much.

If I were them, I would pass on this deal.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
The media rumor is the Preds plan on buying out Turris. That's 2 mil for 8 friggin years. And they get nothing

With this, Preds have to spend 3 mil for 4 years and get a wing.

A better way of looking at it would be more like paying AJ 6.4 mill per for 3 years and then 3 mill in the fourth year for nothing.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Oh this will go over well like an AA meeting at Oktoberfest

AJ: 3.4 mil for 3 more years, LW prorated 62 games, 11.5 games, 18.7 assists, 30.2 points

KT: 3 Mil for 4 more years, C, 62 games, 9 goals, 22 assists, 31 points

Preds get a winger, Toronto gets a 3rd line C. Preds get younger, Leafs get experience. Leafs get an extra 400K and a 3rd to even things out.
So Nashville pays $3million over 4 years of retention (also taking up a retention spot for the next 4 seasons) and they get to pay AJ $3.4 for 3 years, so the cost to the Preds is $22.2 million over 4 seasons. Buying Turris out would cost the Preds $16million over 8 seasons, just keeping the Center with better the higher offensive potential would cost them $24million.

I also like how you quoted Turris' actual stats but used projected stats for AJ. Not really the same thing. When you have to adjust the goal posts in an attempt to make the deal seem good, there's a good chance its not a good deal.

Reactions: Spazkat

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
This makes no sense for Nashville. If we want a player like Johnsson we can sign a UFA in a depressed market, without having to effectively pay him $6.4M. If there aren't better ways than this to liquidate Turris, the Preds should just keep him.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Lol, you're very misinformed about Nashville. They have been able to spend to the cap for about a decade now.

I live outside of Nashville and have been to at least one game every season since 1998 and I'm a former season ticket holder. I think I know Nashville just fine thank you. :laugh:

Reactions: Altimus

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The concept of retaining 50% to avoid a buyout is certainly interesting so credit there, but as others have mentioned the fit on this doesn't seem to there for either team.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
This makes no sense for Nashville. If we want a player like Johnsson we can sign a UFA in a depressed market, without having to effectively pay him $6.4M. If there aren't better ways than this to liquidate Turris, the Preds should just keep him.
You would have to give up a 1st round pick to unload him. So there's that option.

Reactions: FireGorton

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Preds say no. I don't think they are in the business of retaining any amount of money right now. Ownership won't allow it.

concur, but also Johnsson is greater risk from injury past than Turris, imo; at least until he plays long enough and well enough to prove otherwise.

Leafs will have to do better to dump Johnsson

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
concur, but also Johnsson is greater risk from injury past than Turris, imo; at least until he plays long enough and well enough to prove otherwise.

Leafs will have to do better to dump Johnsson
Johnsson is not a dump.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I think the Leafs are maneuvering to clear up cap space, not take on older players with term... even with 50% retention. That seems to me to be the opposite of what Dubas is doing.

Johnsson is probably going for a pick and a prospect. However finding another team willing to part with a first is highly unlikely. Just my opinion.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
You would have to give up a 1st round pick to unload him. So there's that option.
Well, that would be slightly better than taking Johnsson, but still not on the table. Bottom line is we simply don't need to move Turris at all. If there was any way to get a decent player or pick for him, bonus, if not... we keep him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad