Andre Markov or Sergei Zubov?

Who was better at their peak?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Zubov. Guy was in contention for the Norris, on and off, for like a decade but never won it. Such an unsung hero.
That’s being a bit generous. He was consistently a very good defenseman, but he was only ever even top-5 in Norris voting twice in his career.

member 334057

Zubov easily for me. Had a higher ppg avg throughout his career and played through the entire dead puck era, performed consistently in the playoffs, and was just a general work horse for those Dallas teams.

Reactions: snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Zubov.

I remember in the 90s against the Oilers he was always so good against us. He was a heck of a hockey player.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Markov was great but there literally shouldn’t be a single vote for him. Zubov was clearly better. Some Habs fans will vote for him but otherwise this is a unanimous decision

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I wanted to homer vote for Markov so badly, because he got so many of his defensive partners paid, he was so low key good.

But in the end, voting integrity means I go with Zubov. He was the opposite of Lindros; always had his head up when he had the puck, looking to make the right play.

Reactions: Dutronc

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I wanted to homer vote for Markov so badly, because he got so many of his defensive partners paid, he was so low key good.

But in the end, voting integrity means I go with Zubov. He was the opposite of Lindros; always had his head up when he had the puck, looking to make the right play.
I’ve heard that he got Komisarek paid, but who are the others you’re referring to?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Problem is that Zubov played on a series of staked teams with a number of hof talents....

Leetch, Messier, Lemieux, Jagr, Francis, Modano, nieuwendyk, hull...

Not to mention other Stars/Rangers greats like Sydor, Lehtinen, Morrow, Hatcher, Verbena, Langenbruner, Graves, Amounted, Kovalev et. et.

Stars, Pens & Rangers he played with pre-cap were all top spenders with top 5 nhl rosters.

Conversely, Markov's early career was with a Habs team that was on a tight internal budget, and then even when it did start being a cap spending team, never had anywhere near the offensive talent or roster depth Zubov played with most of his career...

Koivu... a few years of late-career Kovalev & early career Subban... and that's it for anyone sniffing HOF caliber (none of which locks). It's almost comical how big the divide in talent they played with in their respective careers is.

Markov played with a player that topped 70 pts 3x in his whole career... zubov only had 3 seasons where no teammate scored more. Heck, he had a year where 3 guys topped 100pts lol.

& that's to say nothing of the quality defensive players & dmen zubov was surrounded with...

It's not at all a knock on Zubov, who was great & I'd agree underrated... but Markov is criminally underrated largely because he played with no elite talent for almost his entire career.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad