Confirmed with Link: Andlauer reaches deal for Ottawa Senators ownership

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
That we should have the same standards and critiques for all people at all levels of this team? Or you don't give so much of a shit about that anymore?
In general, a lot of the reaction is based on the record. But, context is also important and would have a bearing on the record. Also, there’s a lot of what a coach does that fans cannot see or are privy to. We are not on the ice during practice, in the dressing room or on the bench. So, I won’t pretend I have enough info to make a good evaluation. I’ll just have to wait and see what unfolds.

However, what I referred to in my post had nothing to do with that which I would guess you are aware of. I think some people had lots of patience with the former regime but now strangely and suddenly have no patience with the current organization. It's hard not to notice this rather strange behaviour.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
The irony here given your posting history during the Dorion days is a bit much.

It's pretty clear here that you are primed to assume the worst. I'm not carrying the water to point out that based on Andlauer's comments, Green is being paid around the 2-mil mark, give or take, and showing what team's that comparable to. I even pointed out which teams it's not comparable to in the Green thread. What I'm doing is providing what I consider an even keeled approach to the hire, I'm in the wait and see how he turns out camp, the don't assume we hired him purely as a budget move, but rather because the org identified him as having the attributes we sought for where the team currently is. I'm in the camp of giving the new ownership and management group the benefit of the doubt until they provide a reason not to.
You mean how I tried to be the type of "even-keeled, the sky isn't always falling" kind of poster? Right. Maybe it's the fact that 2 straight years of disappointing results, on top of 5 years of expected failure has made it really hard to stomach the idea that there's more mediocrity ahead of us? Maybe it's the fact that the new owner came in with his "best in class" slogan and we haven't seen anything to that effect yet?
I'm in the camp of giving the new ownership and management group the benefit of the doubt until they provide a reason not to. That means I acknowledge that they are spending more than we have in the past and shoring up positions like the Analytics department, and fitness director, rather than whine that they aren't giving me the exact figures of the coaches contract.

But sure, I'll carry on while you do whatever it is you call what you're doing....
There's a significant difference between spending more than than we have in the past, which is a hilariously low hurdle to clear, and "best in class". You don't have to see it if you choose not to but it is, objectively, a pretty big difference. It's so funny how you'll hold this wait and see position that seems likely to include another year of disappointment than to be critical of decision-making now. I'm not sure why you're so willing to put up with another year of lacklustre performance rather than say, today, this doesn't look or feel right.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
In general, a lot of the reaction is based on the record. But, context is also important and would have a bearing on the record. Also, there’s a lot of what a coach does that fans cannot see or are privy to. We are not on the ice during practice, in the dressing room or on the bench. So, I won’t pretend I have enough info to make a good evaluation. I’ll just have to wait and see what unfolds.

However, what I referred to in my post had nothing to do with that which I would guess you are aware of. I think some people had lots of patience with the former regime but now strangely and suddenly have no patience with the current organization. It's hard not to notice this rather strange behaviour.
Sure. We also don't see what injuries are nagging players, we don't hear or see what happens in the locker room, we're not invited into private conversations between teammates, we don't sit in the coach's office during player meetings, etc. It's never stopped us before from giving our opinion on a myriad of things.

I had patience when the team said "we're going to suck for a bit so we can get high draft picks". My brain is able to comprehend the formulation of the plan despite hating the idea of enduring that much losing. I don't really recall anyone being patient with the start to last season, so I'm not entirely sure what the point is that you're making. Am I supposed to always hold one singular belief no matter what transpires? Is my opinion allowed to shift over time or not? I wanted DJ fired less than 10 games in this season and railed against the management because I felt like they sat on their hands while the season dithered away. According to some, that type of sharp criticism was also not ok. So I'm finding it very hard to understand what is and isn't acceptable to say on here and, to a greater extent, finding it easier to not give a f*** about what people think of me.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
You mean how I tried to be the type of "even-keeled, the sky isn't always falling" kind of poster? Right. Maybe it's the fact that 2 straight years of disappointing results, on top of 5 years of expected failure has made it really hard to stomach the idea that there's more mediocrity ahead of us? Maybe it's the fact that the new owner came in with his "best in class" slogan and we haven't seen anything to that effect yet?

There's a significant difference between spending more than than we have in the past, which is a hilariously low hurdle to clear, and "best in class". You don't have to see it if you choose not to but it is, objectively, a pretty big difference. It's so funny how you'll hold this wait and see position that seems likely to include another year of disappointment than to be critical of decision-making now. I'm not sure why you're so willing to put up with another year of lacklustre performance rather than say, today, this doesn't look or feel right.
Maybe the sky was falling. Maybe it wasn't a "voice of reason".

The proof seems to be in the pudding at this point. They didn't seem to have a f***ing clue what they were doing and are the reason things are where they are.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Sure. We also don't see what injuries are nagging players, we don't hear or see what happens in the locker room, we're not invited into private conversations between teammates, we don't sit in the coach's office during player meetings, etc. It's never stopped us before from giving our opinion on a myriad of things.

I had patience when the team said "we're going to suck for a bit so we can get high draft picks". My brain is able to comprehend the formulation of the plan despite hating the idea of enduring that much losing. I don't really recall anyone being patient with the start to last season, so I'm not entirely sure what the point is that you're making. Am I supposed to always hold one singular belief no matter what transpires? Is my opinion allowed to shift over time or not? I wanted DJ fired less than 10 games in this season and railed against the management because I felt like they sat on their hands while the season dithered away. According to some, that type of sharp criticism was also not ok. So I'm finding it very hard to understand what is and isn't acceptable to say on here and, to a greater extent, finding it easier to not give a f*** about what people think of me.
The last couple of years we were moving high 1st rounders for hopeful quick fixes. This is after it was proclaimed that the rebuild was over. We weren’t trying to get high draft picks then. In the end, it probably had to do with a GM trying to save his job. You were a staunch supporter of the previous regime even during this time.

Any kind of doubt or statement you made several games into this season is still very late in the game and was late in recognizing what was going on (and it wasn’t good). I don’t think you can give yourself much of a pat in the back for that.

You’ve spun around and are making quick judgements about the current regime expecting results almost immediately. People are noticing the complete reversal and turn of face.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy and Loach

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Can we bring back Anna and Olivia?

Anna and Olivia never went away, they’ve retained 10% ownership in the Franchise…..and there are other part owners as well…. Yes Andlauer is the Majority owner… not sure what the exact percentage is though.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

So, there's a few things to point out.

Spending more doesn't mean you're hiring best in class. Had Andlauer said, hey, we gave Green 5 mil x 4yrs, that wouldn't make it a best in class hire. Having said that, best in class seems to be getting interpreted as an open checkbook by some, where as it was intended as an organizational goal. He clarified on that in the Athletic article, but you can go back to the original press conference, it was never meant to be about hiring the most expensive execs available,

When Andlauer made the best in class comments, he also talked about giving his staff the tools they need to be successful, because you can't hold them accountable if they aren't given the tools. It's clear this team was lacking a lot of the tools needed under the old regime.

As for firing DJ, I don't really think moving on from him 10 games in instead of 25 games would have made a big difference. I wanted to move on from him prior to the start of the season, but do to the sale dragging on, it wouldn't have made much sense (unless Dorion did it, but I wasn't confident in his abilities). DJ isn't responsible for Stu hurting his wrist 4 games in and it hampering him all season, he wasn't the reason Chabot missed 16 of the 25 games he coached or why Zub got concussed in game 4. He isn't why Norris' shoulder clearly wasn't right from the drop of the puck and struggled all year. He isn't why the goalies couldn't stop a beach ball. I don't think he was the right coach for the stage the team is at, but he's also not the main reason why the team had a disappointing season. But context, right. Gets in the way sometimes.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
The last couple of years we were moving high 1st rounders for hopeful quick fixes. This is after it was proclaimed that the rebuild was over. We weren’t trying to get high draft picks then. In the end, it probably had to do with a GM trying to save his job. You were a staunch supporter of the previous regime even during this time.

Any kind of doubt or statement you made several games into this season is still very late in the game and was late in recognizing what was going (and it wasn’t good). I don’t think you can give yourself much of a pat in the back for that.

You’ve spun around and making quick judgements about the current regime expecting results almost immediately. People are noticing the complete reversal and turn of face.
I never said we were?

In the post above the one you quoted, I said "Maybe it's the fact that 2 straight years of disappointing results, on top of 5 years of expected failure has made it really hard to stomach the idea that there's more mediocrity ahead of us?" This team has been disappointing for 2 years, that's a pretty direct indictment of the last guy. I don't recall ever being a "supporter" of Dorion, let alone a staunch supporter. What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say, which is backed by literally nothing.

All you have are flimsy assertions. Nothing but whatever image you've conjured to characterize every single thing I say. In the end, your words are of no consequence to me. I give less of a f*** today about what people think of me than ever before. You're not special in that regard, so kindly move along. You know where the ignore function is if you wish to use it.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
So, there's a few things to point out.

Spending more doesn't mean you're hiring best in class. Had Andlauer said, hey, we gave Green 5 mil x 4yrs, that wouldn't make it a best in class hire. Having said that, best in class seems to be getting interpreted as an open checkbook by some, where as it was intended as an organizational goal. He clarified on that in the Athletic article, but you can go back to the original press conference, it was never meant to be about hiring the most expensive execs available,
Best in class means you're out competing for the best talent available, period. It's suddenly turned from "he was one of the best coaches available" to "he was one of the best coaches available for this team". That's not really in the best in class category anymore, is it?
When Andlauer made the best in class comments, he also talked about giving his staff the tools they need to be successful, because you can't hold them accountable if they aren't given the tools. It's clear this team was lacking a lot of the tools needed under the old regime.
No one has disputed that. It's long been the assertion that the former owner cut too many corners, cheaped out on too many parts of the organization and didn't provide enough support for the people in place to do their jobs adequately.
As for firing DJ, I don't really think moving on from him 10 games in instead of 25 games would have made a big difference. I wanted to move on from him prior to the start of the season, but do to the sale dragging on, it wouldn't have made much sense (unless Dorion did it, but I wasn't confident in his abilities). DJ isn't responsible for Stu hurting his wrist 4 games in and it hampering him all season, he wasn't the reason Chabot missed 16 of the 25 games he coached or why Zub got concussed in game 4. He isn't why Norris' shoulder clearly wasn't right from the drop of the puck and struggled all year. He isn't why the goalies couldn't stop a beach ball. I don't think he was the right coach for the stage the team is at, but he's also not the main reason why the team had a disappointing season. But context, right. Gets in the way sometimes.
I never laid any of that stuff at DJ's feet. And I don't feel like rehashing the same points that have already been made ad nauseum. If you're interested in my position on this specific discussion point, you can find it in one of the many posts I've made about it. But don't let that stop you from your immense display of balance and fairness. Hopefully, you're spoken of in song some day...

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I never said we were?
You said: "I had patience when the team said "we're going to suck for a bit so we can get high draft picks"

We sucked since the 2017-18 season including the last 2 years. You were a staunch supporter of the previous regime the entire time including the recent years when Dorion was moving high 1st rounders trying to save his job. That’s what I was referring to. No matter how you dance around now making claims or saying whatever words, you can’t hide or pretend.

I putting no stock into your epiphany several games into this season.

I got to move on to something more worthwhile.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Best in class means you're out competing for the best talent available, period. It's suddenly turned from "he was one of the best coaches available" to "he was one of the best coaches available for this team". That's not really in the best in class category anymore, is it?
Best in class was always an organizational goal, when an organization strives to be best in class, that doesn't mean fire everyone and hire the most expensive guy out there. it means you find the people you think have the skill set needed to achieve the desired results. They seem to think they got that in Green, time will tell, but paying him more or disclosing how much they paid won't change things one way or another which is why you moaning about Andlauer could have told us exactly how much he makes comes off as just complaining for the sake of it.

No one has disputed that. It's long been the assertion that the former owner cut too many corners, cheaped out on too many parts of the organization and didn't provide enough support for the people in place to do their jobs adequately.
You seem to still think best in class was intended to mean blank check book. If you can't get past that interpretation, then you will never be satisfied.

I never laid any of that stuff at DJ's feet. And I don't feel like rehashing the same points that have already been made ad nauseum.
No, you lamented that they didn't fire him fast enough though. Sat on their hands and watched the season dither away, I believe were your words. My point is, to what end? Firing DJ at game 10 makes zero difference in the grand scheme. it's complaining for the sake of it at this point. Why should they have rushed to fire DJ when Pinto's suspension would still be in effect with the new coach, Chabot would still be injured, Norris would still have the same bum shoulder ect. That's not holding the coach accountable, and it's not saving the season to bring in a new guy from the midseason options available that will have the same issues. They took their time to evaluate the gaps left by the previous regime, and are now going to act on those evaluations. Will they be successful,. who knows.

If you're interested in my position on this specific discussion point, you can find it in one of the many posts I've made about it. But don't let that stop you from your immense display of balance and fairness. Hopefully, you're spoken of in song some day...
such a funny guy, you should do stand up. but no, after reading and responding to your last few posts, I'm not terribly interested in your position, have a good one.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Best in class -------

such a funny guy, you should do stand up. but no, after reading and responding to your last few posts, I'm not terribly interested in your position, have a good one.
It's just shooting shit on here Mick.

Old Bankstreetparade is just adding flavour to a dreary Monday.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
you jump in and insult at just the perfect time.

When a post chain gets going in a direction that seems to displease SOMEONE.. In you come.

At first, I thought you were my hemorrhoids'. No, you are everyone's.

perfect timing on you.

So.. someone's sock puppet. Someone who wants to throw a punch and do so in anonymity.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
1715633186702.jpeg

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
you jump in and insult at just the perfect time.

When a post chain gets going in a direction that seems to displease SOMEONE.. In you come.

At first, I thought you were my hemorrhoids'. No, you are everyone's.

perfect timing on you.

So.. someone's sock puppet. Someone who wants to throw a punch and do so in anonymity.
You have butt problems?

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
You have butt problems?
Did you watch My Cousin Vinny this weekend?

I had forgotten, how silly, yet how funny.

So the two guys get arrested, they are locked up. One goes on a rant about having to be Bubba's bitch.

In comes Vinny (Pecci).. One of teh guys, thinks: OH No!!! Bubba.. And is trying to squirm.. And Vinny is going on, about helping him.. and the kid says no.

So Vinny utter : Hey, its your ass, not mine. Poor kids just about passes out.

It was 1970's jail comedies. A funny as heck scene. The LGBTQ will add it to its list of homophobic representations.

So, Loach: Its your ass, not mine.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Did you watch My Cousin Vinny this weekend?

I had forgotten, how silly, yet how funny.

So the two guys get arrested, they are locked up. One goes on a rant about having to be Bubba's bitch.

In comes Vinny (Pecci).. One of teh guys, thinks: OH No!!! Bubba.. And is trying to squirm.. And Vinny is going on, about helping him.. and the kid says no.

So Vinny utter : Hey, its your ass, not mine. Poor kids just about passes out.

It was 1970's jail comedies. A funny as heck scene. The LGBTQ will add it to its list of homophobic representations.

So, Loach: Its your ass, not mine.
What?

• Haha
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad