Confirmed with Link: Anderson's New Pads!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If he lost the black stripe halfway down (like underneath the E-shape), they would be just about perfect.

Although, I can see where shooters would think the black stripe at the bottom was the inside edge of the pads. Would have to see it in a game situation to see see how deceiving it is to the eye.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
They might give the illusion that there's more open 5-hole space than there actually is.

probably this. the arrows are also pretty high up. when he goes into butterfly, his body will be where the arrows were pointing. right in the breadbasket, no rebound.

Laminator

May 25, 2014
Couldn't find a better picture showing Elliot's mask and pads but this combo was the best
images

King EK65

#KuldaApproved
Jun 26, 2013
Canada
:laugh:

Always one in the bunch.

Edit - It must be such a pain the break in new pads every year, like all the goalies seem to be doing these days. What's wrong with wearing the same pads for a decade or two?

irbe&sher-wood_.jpg

If Anderson keeping the same pads for a decade or two would mean he'd play like Arturs Irbe in his prime, I'd be down. :laugh:

Edit:
Iq3IlR5.png

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I think people put way too much stock into the psychology behind pad design.

I'd actually love to do some research and take a look at all the goalies who have switched from coloured pads to white ones, and see if their numbers get a bump in their first season in the whites.

Start with Patrick Roy's V2's, and go from there.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I'd actually love to do some research and take a look at all the goalies who have switched from coloured pads to white ones, and see if their numbers get a bump in their first season in the whites.

Start with Patrick Roy's V2's, and go from there.

When the white pads first started showing up, players would say that they make it tougher to spot an opening due to less contrast with the ice and boards. Now that players are used to them I'm sure there is still an effect but probably less than it used to be. It would be hard to quantify with all the moving pieces involved.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
When the white pads first started showing up, players would say that they make it tougher to spot an opening due to less contrast with the ice and boards. Now that players are used to them I'm sure there is still an effect but probably less than it used to be. It would be hard to quantify with all the moving pieces involved.

Yeah, now that it's become de rigueur in the NHL to wear white pads, there's probably been some conditioning on the part of the shooters to expect them.

AFAIK, the phenomenon is two-fold:
1) avoiding certain colours: red, yellow, orange. Bright colours that force the eye to notice them and make it easy for shooters to avoid them.
2) not necessarily white in itself, but using white in the design to create an illusion of space. Roy's V2s are a good example of this. It's not white pads on their own that necessarily make a huge difference, but it's using the white creatively to make false holes appear in a shooter's split-second view of the net.

In case anyone forgets Roy's pads, they looked like this:
mhrIC6SbkJYO4Fs1D1gWzMQ.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad