Tribute Anderson tribute night

senseimike

Dec 6, 2015
Probably unpopular opinion but why is the team giving him a tribute night? Like sure, Andy's a solid dude but he presided in net over a horrible run for the team where we were going nowhere (Sens trip to ECF was kind of a fluke IMO)- he has the record for most wins simply due to longevity, not because the teams in front of him were particularly good. As well, he never settled in Ottawa or was really involved in the city; he just happened to spend half the season here (given his fam lived in Florida the entire time he played in Ottawa).

Those aren't problems by any means but feels like a tribute isn't that warranted...

Reactions: JungleBeat

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He's team's longest tenured goalie.

He presided in net in some of the few series that we actually won as an underdog, with him contributing in large part to the victories.

Statistically:
-1st in GP
-1st in Wins
-1st in Saves

In the playoffs:
-2nd in GP (40 to Lalime's 41)
-1st in SV% - .928
-1st in Wins (T with Lalime) with 21
-2nd in SO (3)
-3rd in GAA (among goalies with 10 or more games) 2.30

And he didn't have the early 2000s Senators playing in front of him like Lalime, Prusek and Emery did.

Put another way, he had a better winning percentage than Lalime who had multiple HHoFers playing in front of him.

Why would you penalize him because the teams in front of him weren't particularly good?

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Probably unpopular opinion but why is the team giving him a tribute night? Like sure, Andy's a solid dude but he presided in net over a horrible run for the team where we were going nowhere (Sens trip to ECF was kind of a fluke IMO)- he has the record for most wins simply due to longevity, not because the teams in front of him were particularly good. As well, he never settled in Ottawa or was really involved in the city; he just happened to spend half the season here (given his fam lived in Florida the entire time he played in Ottawa).

Those aren't problems by any means but feels like a tribute isn't that warranted...

- Was with the team for a decade, longest tenure of any sens goalie,
- most career games, wins and playoff wins as a sen.
- didn't have the benefit of the strongest teams in front of him, but still has a sterling .928 sv% in the playoffs,

On a more subjective level, come playoffs, he always upped his game, outplaying the opposition goalie whether it was Price, Rask, Lundqvist, or whoever. He always gave a rag tag team in front of him a chance for the upset.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
If he has the net/is healthy enough to play right from game 1 in 2015 he has a 2-0 record against Price in the playoffs. Hammond just didn't have that level once the playoffs hit and the team knew it and played way too tentatively for those first couple games.

senseimike

Dec 6, 2015
For sure but the fact that he was never really involved with Ottawa besides his playing minutes always made it feel like he had 1 foot out the door and that his longevity was merely a coincidence. On the flip side, we have Chris Neil that had few meaningful stats of any kind but was so engaged with the city that the team saw fit to retire his number! I don't necessarily agree with retiring Neil's number but my point is that connection to the community should be some factor too in honouring players.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Should have signed him as a backup this year.
Not even totally joking. But mostly.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Anderson provided stability in a position where it had been sorely lacking for years. Good guy, good player, good stats, and by all accounts well liked. He's exactly the type of player any good organization should honour.

Reactions: DrEasy and NyQuil

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Andy was a Sens legend ever since his first game with us. I won't tolerate the hate. He's not getting his number retired, he's being honoured. I approve of and appreciate the gesture by the organization. Greatest goalie in the history of the org, playoff warrior and someone that stuck it out with the team during rough years. The way he was viewed around the league and battled in the crease was an embodiment of the Sens teams during his tenure - scrappy underdogs that punched above their weight class. We'll have better goalies in our lifetime. He won't be someone we're looking at 50 years down the line as the greatest goalie the Sens have ever had, but he's someone we'll remember being great for us. He's earned the recognition.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
His first game was incredible. Possibly the best goaltender performance in a sens uni.
I should watch that one again. Vs Toronto

Reactions: ATdaisuki

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
Hard to fault him for Melnyk having a budget and handicapping those teams. Same goes for the rest of the team.
Why do you always have to bring back Melnyk from the dead?? Come on my man you need to move on here brother, stop living in the past. Anderson is the best goalie in this franchise history he deserved to be honor.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Why do you always have to bring back Melnyk from the dead?? Come on my man you need to move on here brother, stop living in the past. Anderson is the best goalie in this franchise history he deserved to be honor.
Well it's hard to avoid talking about it when talking about the past and that era. Those teams were handicapped. I do like to bring it up cuz I think those teams' core got blamed when there were bigger factors limiting them.

I was actually trying to put a feather in Anderson's cap with that one. Some posters pointed to the performance of those teams being underwhelming and thus he's not deserving, but Melnyk's decisions were a much bigger bus driver of their chances as a whole than anything Anderson could do differently.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him join the organization in a new role.

God, I sort of hate to pile on but what an uncomfortable public speaker GMPD is! You would think he didn't know they were doing this today as he seems unprepared to speak!

Reactions: Icelevel

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK

Yup, pretty unpopular opinion.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
1698182148546.png

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink
God, I sort of hate to pile on but what an uncomfortable public speaker GMPD is! You would think he didn't know they were doing this today as he seems unprepared to speak!

You can always count on utter cringe being the absolute rule. The exceptions where he strings together something fitting and well formed are like double rainbows. Very rare, and a happy surprise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad