Andersen, F.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Andersen is a bit overrated around here in my opinion. He's really good but not THAT great. I thought he turned a corner last season when he really played like a Vezina like goaltender but then completely pooped the bed for awhile in the last quarter or so. He started good in the playoffs but had 2 really bad games... so... I don't know.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in 2021 when Andersens contract is up. Part of the reason why I don't think they are worried about Hutchinson is if he doesn't do well, it's possible they take a look at Woll much earlier than people expect. They need to see what they have in him for the most part. I would not be surprised if Woll see's an NHL game this season. Or maybe Scott for that matter.

I hope the Leafs can keep Andersen for a little while longer after his current contract but we'll see.

IMO that's not Andersen's fault at all. It's on the coaching staff for burning him out. We all saw how many games he stole for us last year. He did that for months and had nothing left in the tank.

We need a backup who can play 40 games for us.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
IMO that's not Andersen's fault at all. It's on the coaching staff for burning him out. We all saw how many games he stole for us last year. He did that for months and had nothing left in the tank.

We need a backup who can play 40 games for us.

Is that a typo? "40 games? A tandem?

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Are any leaf fans disappointed Dubas didn't address the goalie situation?

I know F. Andersen is a pretty good goalie, but so far he's unproven. He still to this day has not won a playoff series.

Battle tested goalies of the past (Cujo and Belfour) had their jeers /critics, but they always won. When the team needed a save, they got it.

I am surprised Dubas hasn't pushed a little further to draft a potential winning goalie. That's fine if he hasn't, but Andersen now has to step up.

What do you think? Are you satisfied with the goalie situation so far?

I like Andersen. I just wish I could trust him to be able to shut the door for his team.
We have Scott and Woll, both will be NHL starter goalies...

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
It would be great if all it takes is limiting the amount of games, hopefully we find out.
I would expect the same workload this year though unless a different backup is brought in.

Rask is also a Vezina winner, I don't see that in Andersen's future.
I would love to be wrong there.
You say this but here's the thing:
Binnington - 32 Regular season games - 26 playoff
Holtby - 54 Reg - 23 playoff
Murray 2017 - 49 Reg - 12 playoff
Murray 2016 - 49 Reg - 11 playoff
Crawford - 57 Reg - 20 playoff
Quick - 49 Reg - 26 playoff
Crawford (Lockout year) - 30 Reg (Emery played 21) - 23 playoff
Quick - 69 Reg - 20 playoff
Thomas - 55 Reg - 25 playoff
Niemi - 35 Reg (Huet played 46) - 22 playoff
Fleury - 61 Reg - 23 playoff
Osgood - 40 Reg (Hasek 40) - 18 playoff
Giguere - 56 Reg - 18 playoff
Ward - 28 Reg (Gerber played 60) - 23 playoff (Gerber played 6)

The cup winning goalies of record since the 2005 lockout and their games played for both Regular season and Playoffs. Only Quick in 2012, Fluery in 2009, and Gerber although he wasn't the goalie of record for the cup win played 60 games or more. 7 of the 14 years looked at had the goalies playing 49 games or less. And 3 were at exactly 49 games. Seems as if that might be the magic number for success but likely coincidence. When it comes to playoff games, every series and year is different, but the thing that isn't different is that teams are guaranteed 1 days rest between games or more.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Even though I'm not sold on Andy getting us deep in the playoffs, goaltending was pretty much the last priority this offseason, outside of finding a cheap, capable backup.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Freddy has been great during the regular season, we couldn’t have asked for anything better. Playoffs he has been meh, our D has been horrible which didn’t help.

That being said I don’t think we will be able to afford him in two years time. We need one of Woll or Scott to be the second coming of Johnny Bower.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Belfour was booed in his first couple weeks.

Don't you remember?
Preseason he was booed quest

The worst moment for Freddy last playoffs was when he was skating to the bench when the team didn't have offensive zone possession. But that was on the idiot coach for pulling him at the wrong time (twice), not on the goalie.

I have complete confidence in Andersen. He had a few bad goals in the playoffs, but a few amazing games as well. If you think it will be easy to find an upgrade, you're mistaken.

The real concern is the coach who refuses to play a backup other than b2b games, pulls the goalie at the wrong time, and who keeps letting an injured winger take PK faceoffs.
Worst moment was him letting in a few stinkers in our only elimination game

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Here is the big picture issue with Andersen.

Of the 5 teams competing for the Atlantic Div and playoff spots TB, BOS, TOR, MON and FLA, our Leafs now have the weakest goalie, IMO

Andrei Vasilevskiy (TB)
Tuukka Rask (BOS)
Carey Price (MTL)
Sergei Bobrovsky (FLA)
&
Frederik Andersen (TOR)
Cant argue with that

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Lot of praise for Woll and Scott through here. I'm hopeful they turn into something in a couple years but saying they are both starting goalies in the NHL is a lot to put on them. Goalies are so hard to predict!

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Preseason he was booed quest

Worst moment was him letting in a few stinkers in our only elimination game

Clearly hyperbole. I'm well aware there were some bad goals. The point being made is that they pale in comparison to the poor decisions made by the coach. Without the coaching blunders the series could have been won, and a few bad goals (that every goalie allows sometimes) would be irrelevant.

Andy did his job in the playoffs. The loss is not on him.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Clearly hyperbole. I'm well aware there were some bad goals. The point being made is that they pale in comparison to the poor decisions made by the coach. Without the coaching blunders the series could have been won, and a few bad goals (that every goalie allows sometimes) would be irrelevant.

No the loss is not all on him. He did however play his part. A lot of us like FA. I have my reservations, but I really do want him to win 1 or several playoff series. If he continues though then there will always be an element of doubt.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Andy blew it in Game 7. His poor play is not on Babcock.

Others had issues, including Babcock. No singular factor cost us the series, but all could have done things to improve it.

He plays average in Game 7 and there's a good chance were playing today.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Seems like every year we forget Andy’s not so great in October

He's streaky

It remains to be seen if you can win anything with a goaltender that is this inconsistent, when he's not playing well he struggles to raise to the level of meh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad