Speculation: Anders Nilsson Concussion

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
This is VERY bad:

MODERATOR NOTE:

This quoted translation is not accurate, see later comment from Swedish person below from same Reddit thread:

"Jag fick inte ens träffa en läkare" is more along the lines that he didn't get the opportunity not that he was disallowed basically

Last edited by a moderator:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Wasn't, "allowed" to see a doctor? May be lost in translation but that doesn't even make sense.

Not denying there may have been wrong diagnosis and treatment.

Reactions: OmniSens

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Wasn't, "allowed" to see a doctor? May be lost in translation but that doesn't even make sense.

Not denying there may have been wrong diagnosis and treatment.
Yeah, I thought that was a little bizarre myself.

I thought he was always known to be out due to a concussion?

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
Yeah, I thought that was a little bizarre myself.

I thought he was always known to be out due to a concussion?
What he is saying is that there was an earlier concussion, 2 months before the one that was made public, that the team didn't/ wouldn't acknowledge. He says they covered it up.

He says the physiotherapist said "you don't have a headache so it's not a concussion", so he didn't get to see the doctor, not so much he wasn't "allowed". There is a full translation at the link, including breakdowns of context and confusing translations. Regardless, he seems very unhappy with how it was handled.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Physiotherapist is not qualified to diagnose a concussion. Maybe the person just asked him the standard questions.
Did you lose consciousness?
Do you have headaches?
Are you nauseated?
Do you have blurred vision?
Do you remember the incident? Did you suffer any memory loss?
Etc.
If he didn't answer yes to those questions, the physio may have said "Hmm, doesn't sound like a concussion."

At the end of the day, everyone is responsible for their own health and seeking treatment. You know if you aren't feeling right. Nobody, no NHL team, nobody is going to stop anyone from going to see a doctor and getting themselves checked out. This sounds like bad translation or just bitterness. I highly doubt that any Sens doctor told him he wasn't allowed to be treated for concussion symptoms.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Appears to be some negligence on the part of the sens medical staff and management. Changes should be made if that type of callous disregard for the athletes well-being is happening.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Physiotherapist is not qualified to diagnose a concussion. Maybe the person just asked him the standard questions.
Did you lose consciousness?
Do you have headaches?
Are you nauseated?
Do you have blurred vision?
Do you remember the incident? Did you suffer any memory loss?
Etc.
If he didn't answer yes to those questions, the physio may have said "Hmm, doesn't sound like a concussion."

At the end of the day, everyone is responsible for their own health and seeking treatment. You know if you aren't feeling right. Nobody, no NHL team, nobody is going to stop anyone from going to see a doctor and getting themselves checked out. This sounds like bad translation or just bitterness. I highly doubt that any Sens doctor told him he wasn't allowed to be treated for concussion symptoms.
So a guy who just suffered a concussion is supposed to be 100% responsible for demanding to see a doctor?
Let's get some more details, but this doesn't sound good so far.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
So a guy who just suffered a concussion is supposed to be 100% responsible for demanding to see a doctor?
Let's get some more details, but this doesn't sound good so far.
Yes. He was concerned enough to ask a physio but not a doctor? There is no barrier to asking to see a doctor. Also, your comment is self-serving. "demanding to see a doctor"??? He isn't some Karen at Walmart demanding to see the manager. He is a pro athlete that plays a violent physical sport. Who has doctors available to him pretty near 24/7 through the team. He does not need to "demand to see" the doctor as if there is some huge hurdle or obstacle in his path. He just makes an appt like everyone else.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Bizarre that he wouldn't be allowed to see a dr... Does he mean in game? Where were the league concussion spotters? Did they not initiate concussion protocols on the initial hit? Why would he be barred from seeing the dr between games if there was concerns? The team has these guys on staff. Just seems overall odd.i wonder what symptoms he was experiencing that lead him to believe he definitely had a concussion.

I feel for him for sure. Really odd in this day and age that there would be this kind of situation wrt potential concussions

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Bizarre that he wouldn't be allowed to see a dr... Does he mean in game? Where were the league concussion spotters? Did they not initiate concussion protocols on the initial hit? Why would he be barred from seeing the dr between games if there was concerns? The team has these guys on staff. Just seems overall odd.i wonder what symptoms he was experiencing that lead him to believe he definitely had a concussion.

I feel for him for sure. Really odd in this day and age that there would be this kind of situation wrt potential concussions

Mickle, it is clearly is a misinterpretation of Swedish to English. If you read the Swedish folks talking about it after it states this. The OP chose to post the worst quote without providing this bit of crucial info.

Transcript from the relevant part:
INT: A subject that truly engages, as it should… what do you feel when you hear Jonathan [presumably someone from previous part of the interview not included here] and this subject come up, you hade to finish your career 31 yrs young, could have played many more years
NILSSON: Yes, I hade hoped to play 5-6 yrs more in any case so it’s good that this subject is being raised, I personally experienced this as well, that I got hit with a real bang [this could also be translated as ’pretty badly’ but his use of ’riktig’ is IMO more serious] two months before I got my ”public” concussion that they covered up really, they said ”you don’t have a concussion, you don’t have headaches, if you don’t have headaches you don’t have a concussion”.
INT: Which people said this?
NILSSON: The physiotherapist told me, so I didn’t even get to see a doctor [IMO, what he says here can’t really be translated as ’wasn’t ALLOWED to see a doctor’ even though he uses the word ’fick’ which has similar connotations ti being allowed/disallowed, it’s more that he wasn’t taken seriously and sent further up the chain]. With the results in hand I had a concussion then, played on and then got another shot and that was the end of my career unfortunately. So it’s good that the subject is being raised because it is a problem in the NHL and there’s a lot to work on but it’s good that perhaps they’re slowly lifting it to the light.
After this the discussion moves on to equipment changes that could be made and general discussions about how to play to avoid these kinds of hits. Just thought I’d give people the chance to read his words for themselves and not hear them second hand.

. "Jag fick inte ens träffa en läkare" is more along the lines that he didn't get the opportunity not that he was disallowed basically, yeah. Are you Swedish as well?

Last edited:

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Isn’t one of the things we’re actually somewhat respected for league wide our medical and training staff? Maybe I’m wrong but I found this very surprising.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad