Post-Game Talk: And Price ain't havin' it - Habs improve to 4-0-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Can't believe we got Petry for two picks.

Yes and no.

We got him for the end of last year for two picks but we had to resign him so he didn't walk as a UFA. MB did a big sell job on that one, not to mention some of the players piped up. Obviously having here down the stretch helped put the foot in the door.

they got a 4.5 mil D in the AHL and a 3.5 D every night scratch

and they wanted to "challenge" Petry

it transcends "dumb" to another dimension

The levels of poor management in Edmonton the last 10-12 years is among the worse. They manage to suck despite 3 #1 overall picks in the lineup the last few years.

We got him for a 2nd and a 4th

I like to see him as a blessing to make up for David Fischer mistake - both were drafted same year (2006) and Petry is pretty much what Fischer was expected to become.

Also, pretty sure we got a compensatory 2nd round pick for not signing Fischer, it makes it even better :handclap:

We got a 2nd rounder as compensation for not signing Fischer, the fact that he was a late 1st rounder in a weak draft, wasn't a big loss.

Maybe McDo leaving in the Gomez trade?

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

I like to see him as a blessing to make up for David Fischer mistake - both were drafted same year (2006) and Petry is pretty much what Fischer was expected to become.

Also, pretty sure we got a compensatory 2nd round pick for not signing Fischer, it makes it even better :handclap:

Wow he's only a year older than Patch and PK, not sure why but it feels like he's much older than those two. We have him for the entirety of his prime :handclap:

Lord Chezz

Sep 27, 2009
Still in Shediac or have you found greener pastures?

Still here. Fortunately, I've been able to settle in nicely in the region career and family wise.

You have the body of a 40 year old, my good sir.

Wow... Are we having a reunion or something? Does mcphee still have the pretzel?

Didn't gros bill or that Habs Rabbi guy have it?

This thread is all over the place :laugh:

My influence is being felt.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Petry; best acquisition since forever. To have a guy like him in his prime is priceless. If we can do the same with a forward this trade deadline and then signing him to an extension, we'll be all set for several cup runs.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Especially after looking at Edmonton's D... he's easily better than anyone in their top 6 lol. What a dumb organization.

he wasn't gonna stay, so they got what they could.

they didn't treat him very well - organization and especially fans, and while he was there, he wasn't anywhere near as good as he is here, which says a lot about having support and being on the right pairing.

when he was there he was playing #1 minutes next to mister magoo or whichever hobo they could drag from the ahl, so yeah, he didn't look very good most nights

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Yeah, EDM's management has been ridiculous. Their biggest knock is that A) they have no defence and B) they can't draft out of the first round. Petry was I think their only post-first rounder to make the team in the last 10 years, and their only good defenceman. How they traded him is baffling. From that, to barring Draisaitl from playing in the WJC only to send him down to the W the week after the tournament is ridiculous. Such a wonky organization.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
First time in years I take the time to read each page of a thread like that.

Feels good to see 'old' posters back at it :nod:

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006

Nice assessment on that.

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
I'll chip in on the Petry love fest...he's the perfect 2nd pairing defenseman.

His stabilizing presence when the top pair is resting, his ability to do pretty much everything well and how he seems to positively influence his defense partner remind me of the effect Hamrlik had with the team a few years ago.

What's even better is we have this guy signed to a fair contract for his entire prime.

Good stuff.

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
I'll chip in on the Petry love fest...he's the perfect 2nd pairing defenseman.

His stabilizing presence when the top pair is resting, his ability to do pretty much everything well and how he seems to positively influence his defense partner remind me of the effect Hamrlik had with the team a few years ago.

What's even better is we have this guy signed to a fair contract for his entire prime.

Good stuff.

thank the Hockey Gods and smoaked meat...!!

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
they got a 4.5 mil D in the AHL and a 3.5 D every night scratch

and they wanted to "challenge" Petry

it transcends "dumb" to another dimension

What the habs said when they acquired Petry was (paraphrased) : we think he'll be in the right chair in Montreal behind Subban and Markov.

You can challenge a player all you want but if you place him in a situation where he can't succeed.. in a role he's not capable of playing...

But the funny thing is that now.. I'd trust Petry to play 1st pairing with Price and our system and in his new circumstances..

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
Yeah, EDM's management has been ridiculous. Their biggest knock is that A) they have no defence and B) they can't draft out of the first round. Petry was I think their only post-first rounder to make the team in the last 10 years, and their only good defenceman. How they traded him is baffling. From that, to barring Draisaitl from playing in the WJC only to send him down to the W the week after the tournament is ridiculous. Such a wonky organization.

He was going to walk in the summer. There was no way he would resign there.

raffibomb

Mar 12, 2014
We got a 2nd rounder as compensation for not signing Fischer, the fact that he was a late 1st rounder in a weak draft, wasn't a big loss.

Maybe McDo leaving in the Gomez trade?[/QUOTE]

False

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Lowest NHL producers in quite a while.

% Players who played in NHL: 41.2%

% Players who played in NHL: 43.8%

% Players who played in NHL: 50.5%

% Players who played in NHL: 49.8% (105/211)
% Players who played in NHL: 44.1% (93/211)

% Players who played in NHL: 41.8% (89/213)

% Players who played in NHL: 48.3% (111/230)

Since 2005, the introduction of the 7-round draft, only 2011 (and obviously 2012 and up because they are all kids) has a lower amount of players who got to the NHL. Even then, 2011 will beat that too, probably.

2006 had some gems, but so did all the other draft. Us missing on Giroux doesn't make it a strong draft.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Calm down, guys.

Lets see first how we do against West teams.

Can't wait.

4 wins to open the season is great but let's not get carried away.

Right on point.

We all have a right to be happy, and we should be, but this "sent la coupe" and we are as good as the 70's teams stuff, is a reason other teams' fans hate us.

Let us not get a big head.

Nice to see cooler heads amongst a lot of momentary exhuberance. It's a long season, there will be losing streaks. It's a great start, nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad