Proposal: Analytics/Game Has Changed Movement misses this every time

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
What happens when they play intense, real hockey, on the large ice? Unless they increase the size of the net, I would guess that scoring would go down.
That would very much depend on the teams and their style of play, but yes, often a but less scoring: more goals on clean shots and passing plays, and fewer on deflections.

Last year in the Stanley Cup finals, Washington and Vegas scored 34 goals in five games, so just under 7 per game, combined. Last year in the Olympic finals, there were 7 goals in the gold medal game, and 10 in the bronze.

Oddly enough, both the final games (Stanley Cup and Olympic), ended 4-3.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Pittsburgh recently won back to back Cups on the regulation size ice.
Yes, and this year they got shut down by a slower, weaker team, because they took advantage of the small rink to negate Pittsburgh's skill advantage.

Unless you think the Islanders were the more skilled team?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yes, and this year they got shut down by a slower, weaker team, because they took advantage of the small rink to negate Pittsburgh's skill advantage.

Unless you think the Islanders were the more skilled team?

They were the better team this year...

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
They were the better team this year...
'Better'. How? Faster? No. More talented? Not by a long shot. Better goaltending? Maybe by a bit. Able to take advantage of the small ice surface to use their physical play to negate Pittsburgh's edge in speed and skill? Yes.

If you are a fan of lots of heavy hitting, hooking, holding, and interference by the less talented players, and games decided by deflections from a crowd in the slot, then yes, those were entertaining games.

If those games had been played on the larger rinks, Pittsburgh may well have swept the Islanders.

Personally, I like both kinds of hockey, and I understand that the hard, physical, 'trap' if you like, type of game is a lot harder to execute on the larger ice.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
'Better'. How? Faster? No. More talented? Not by a long shot. Better goaltending? Maybe by a bit. Able to take advantage of the small ice surface to use their physical play to negate Pittsburgh's edge in speed and skill? Yes.

If you are a fan of lots of heavy hitting, hooking, holding, and interference by the less talented players, and games decided by deflections from a crowd in the slot, then yes, those were entertaining games.

If those games had been played on the larger rinks, Pittsburgh may well have swept the Islanders.

Personally, I like both kinds of hockey, and I understand that the hard, physical, 'trap' if you like, type of game is a lot harder to execute on the larger ice.

If it was played on Olympic sized ice, it wouldn’t matter, because no one would watch it.

Fortunately they don’t and the better team won this year.

Don’t forget, the Pens won 2 Cups on that same size ice.

Perhaps soccer is a better suit for you?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
If it was played on Olympic sized ice, it wouldn’t matter, because no one would watch it.

Well soccer is the most watched sport in the world.

Niche sports are good too.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Analytics have taught us beyond any doubt that 8 ut of 10 statistics are made up on the spot by some anal rententive blowhard

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Soccer was named by 7% of Americans as their favourite to watch. Hockey was at 4.

Soccer Will Soon Be America's Third-Favorite Spectator Sport
I doubt soccer will ever be big in the USA for the simple reason that we don't dominate the sport. If we don't have the best league in the world, we're not interested. I'm in the southeastern USA and it's college football, baseball, and then pro football and basketball, in that order. I don't know anybody who follows soccer. Same thing back when I lived in Michigan, although hockey was much bigger there.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Just reiterating your view without justifying it doesn't really do anything.

Not really a fan of soccer. I prefer fast paced games, which is why I like hockey on any size rink.

If your viewpoint is so limited that you only like it on the smaller rinks, that's fine. Unfortunately for you, you missed two very good, very exciting, games today.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Just reiterating your view without justifying it doesn't really do anything.

Not really a fan of soccer. I prefer fast paced games, which is why I like hockey on any size rink.

If your viewpoint is so limited that you only like it on the smaller rinks, that's fine. Unfortunately for you, you missed two very good, very exciting, games today.

Prefer it on the regulation ice.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I doubt soccer will ever be big in the USA for the simple reason that we don't dominate the sport. If we don't have the best league in the world, we're not interested. I'm in the southeastern USA and it's college football, baseball, and then pro football and basketball, in that order. I don't know anybody who follows soccer. Same thing back when I lived in Michigan, although hockey was much bigger there.

This article might give you a different way of looking at it.

Don't Look Now, but Major League Soccer May Be the Best Story in American Sports (and Sports Business)

I hear what you are saying about the perception of the best league but soccer is more complicated than that.

It’s the world’s game. Not like the “World Series” or “World Champion” NFL team.

There are a ton of leagues across the globe and even within Europe there is debate as to which league is the best. And the fans clearly don’t care.

Even within leagues there are other competitions. A club in England may compete in the EPL, FA Cup, UEFA Champions League, Europa League, etc.

With the number of competitions that cross leagues, fans follow Clubs not a league. Champions from Mexico will play the MLS Cup Champs. American MLS teams also have the Open Cup and Concacaf Champions League to compete in.

It’s a different and thriving sports experience altogether.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad