Proposal: Anaheim-Vancouver

BoKnows53

Jul 28, 2013
Canucks fan here!

I was wondering what you guys thought of acquiring Edler. He's on a great contract and just entering his prime.

Would this be acceptable,

To Anaheim-Alex Edler
To Vancouver- Emerson Etem, Hampus Lindholm

This trade replenishes Vancouver's prospect pool while giving you guys a legitimate top 2 defenseman. Edler was mis-used last season by coach AV, playing him on the right side as a LH D-man.

Your d would look really complete with the younger players like Vatenen, Sbisa and Fowler stepping up

Edler-Vatenen
Souray-Beauchemin
Fowler-Sbisa
Allen

Etem played with Shinkaruk in juniors so we're very high on him, and Lindholm would become our top defensive prospect considering we haven't drafted a d-man (in the 1st rd) in YEARS

I think a good hockey trade could be worked out between our teams. Anyways, I'm interested in hearing what you guys think of this and what fair value for Edler is in your opinion :)

Cheers! :cheers:

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I think Etem and lindholm are pretty close to untouchable at this point even for someone like elder

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I think that the value is about right but of course Lindholm and Etem aren't as proven as Edler, but those two could be worth a lot in few years. Anyway just like few guys already said before me, doubt that this happens 'cos the Ducks are high on both of them, Lindholm has some serious talent and Etem is from California (and also very talented).

Would like to have Edler on this team but not for that price. I would have traded Ryan for him without a problem though.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I would argue we should send a winger (which we are extremely deep) over a young center like Rakell or Holland.

Sbisa seems like he'd be the guy the trade would be centered around, otherwise you'd have to accept Souray or Allen as part of the deal.

I personally am not as hung up on Lindholm as others but Etem would be tough to let go and no way both.

Thats not to say your proposal is not reasonable, just that we don't want to give up our top 2 prospects without sending any salary back.

Edler is only 27 though, its tempting.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
We can't afford that proposal. If we were to take Edler you'd have to take one of Allen or Souray in return. No way we move two of our best prospects for a player we don't really need. Sure he'd be an upgrade over all but two of our d-men but the cost wouldn't make sense.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Etem if the right deal comes around I can see, unlikely, but could happen. Lindholm, no way.

Etem is already NHL bottom six proven, hopefully on his way to being top 6. The team has very high hopes for Lindholm. I don't see this deal happening.

We can't afford that proposal. If we were to take Edler you'd have to take one of Allen or Souray in return. No way we move two of our best prospects for a player we don't really need. Sure he'd be an upgrade over all but two of our d-men but the cost wouldn't make sense.

Too many reasons not to make this trade. Plus, Lindholm is under our direction who hasn't even burned through his first year of his ELC at all! If Lindholm doesn't see the NHL at all this coming season, he still hasn't started his ELC due to a slide rule. Essentially, that's some serious cost control.

Etem is a proven bottom six forward with potential for more.

And if you add another veteran defenseman, then there goes some NHL time for Vatanen, who's already proven enough at the AHL level.

The trade may be simple on the Vancouver end, but from Anaheim's perspective, there's a whole lot of complexity involved here. Plus, we're not in a position of desperation like Ottawa was in needing a goal scorer. Because we're not in a position of desperation, Vancouver would have to entice the deal.

I'd rather send you guys Souray and Sbisa since you're hurting on defense; Sbisa is a young, seasoned NHL'er. That would open up a roster spot for Vatanen, fer sure!

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Moving those guys within the division has disaster written all over it. If Etem takes off, not only would we be the team that traded away one of the best prospects from our backyard, but now we would have done it to a division rival. This wouldn't happen. Lindholm is also untouchable.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Edler certainly fits a need and if we acquired him would be either our best or second best defenseman (behind Beauch). That being said - giving up our 2nd best prospect and a 21 year old who is a proven NHLer already with 25-30 goal potential is too much. Vancouver how being a divisional rival would also kill any realistic chance of a deal.

Ignoring the divisional rivalry thing:

I think one of the 2 pieces going the other way is fair but not both. We would also have to send a defenseman back your way as we already have too many bodies - it would likely be one of Allen or Sbisa.

Something like Etem + Allen for Edler or Etem + Sbisa for Edler + something else of value would be a lot fairer than the initial proposal. That being said Anaheim management probably overvalues Etem due to the fact he's a local.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I love Etem more than anyone in this forum but if you think Allen + Etem is fair for Edler you are delusonal

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Personally I think this ship has sailed now that Ryan's been traded.

I don't see any way we could trade Edler and end up a better team, even if he were willing to waive his NTC, which I doubt.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
In a near perfect world, our youngsters do so well, they force a 2 for 1 because they all deserve limited roster spots.

However, as things stand now, people are goaling that lindholm becomes a puzzle piece, not just an nhler.

And this upcoming crop needs to be vetted more before some are dealt.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I love Etem more than anyone in this forum but if you think Allen + Etem is fair for Edler you are delusonal

I'm assuming that's directed at me and firstly I'll say I'm far from delusional when valuing Anaheim's players - if anything I probably undervalue what we have. There are many delusional posters on this board in regards to our players and I'm far from one of them. Secondly how does the statement "something like Etem + Allen would be a lot fairer than the initial proposal" mean the same as saying "Etem + Allen is fair value". Those statements are worlds apart.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I'm assuming that's directed at me and firstly I'll say I'm far from delusional when valuing Anaheim's players - if anything I probably undervalue what we have. There are many delusional posters on this board in regards to our players and I'm far from one of them. Secondly how does the statement "something like Etem + Allen would be a lot fairer than the initial proposal" mean the same as saying "Etem + Allen is fair value". Those statements are worlds apart.

Allen + Etem is as far apart as even as Etem + Lindholm in terms of value (if that makes sense).

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Etem is even a bit more valuable to us than anyone else, imo. He is the local kid, grow up 15 minutes from the Pond.

Local kids are ussually a nice asset even in big markets, but we are talking about California here. Local kid in Cali team is a great story.

The value is probably there, though. Edler is great defenseman, and can play in all situations. The return must hold a lot of value.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Etem is even a bit more valuable to us than anyone else, imo. He is the local kid, grow up 15 minutes from the Pond.

Local kids are ussually a nice asset even in big markets, but we are talking about California here. Local kid in Cali team is a great story.

That really doesn't matter. I mean it was neat at first but he'll popular because of his play. Sure it's a great story but there will come a point when he and everyone else is sick of that fact. He's valuable because he's a good hockey player.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I think that unless a more-than-expected number of kids take big (Big) steps forward this year, Murray will keep the bullets in his gun for one more season.

So I think a trade like this could happen. I'm not sure Edler is the guy we'd go for though.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Edler - Vatanen as first pairing made me introduce coffee to my nostrils the first time in my life. (and I'm 41) Well played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad