5th round pick

---

To :ducks2

Seth Helgeson - $0.587.500 - 2017 RFA
3rd round pick

To :devils

Simon Despres - $3.700.000 - 2021 UFA

---

* The win for Anaheim here is they add over $3.1 mil to their cap space, which helps them re-sign Rakell and Lindholm. Seth Helgeson sits as the #8 defenseman, or plays in the AHL with Guenin being the #8. Lupul is reclamation project who wasn't given a fair shot during his 2nd stint in Anaheim. He's had success under Randy Carlyle before.

* Toronto doesn't save any cap space, but doesn't add any. And they gain a 5th round pick for a forward who is just gonna play on their 4th line or sit in the press box. Stoners and Lupuls contracts expires at the same time.

* New Jersey needs a defenseman and they have the cap space. Despres is on a questionable contract, and the Ducks desperately needs to shed salary. Still a young player that should be better than last year, now that he's had time to recover from injuries.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Joffrey Lupul - $3.250.000 (38% retained) - 2018 UFA

To :leafs

Clayton Stoner - $3.250.000 - 2018 UFA
5th round pick

---

3rd round pick

---

* The win for Anaheim here is they add over $3.1 mil to their cap space, which helps them re-sign Rakell and Lindholm. Seth Helgeson sits as the #8 defenseman, or plays in the AHL with Guenin being the #8. Lupul is reclamation project who wasn't given a fair shot during his 2nd stint in Anaheim. He's had success under Randy Carlyle before.

* Toronto doesn't save any cap space, but doesn't add any. And they gain a 5th round pick for a forward who is just gonna play on their 4th line or sit in the press box. Stoners and Lupuls contracts expires at the same time.

* New Jersey needs a defenseman and they have the cap space. Despres is on a questionable contract, and the Ducks desperately needs to shed salary. Still a young player that should be better than last year, now that he's had time to recover from injuries.

Pass from the Leafs.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Absolutely from a Devils perspective.

If that's all it took, I would imagine Shero would have done it yesterday.

Pass from the Leafs.

Initially I was gonna ask for a 2nd from the Devils and give the Leafs a 4th. But then I thought the Devils may not want to trade a 2nd which very well could be a pick between #31 and #35 overall for a long and expensive contract.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
yea, if thats all it took for Despres, I would have to imagine it would have been done by now. The Devils have an abundance of draft picks the next few years.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Initially I was gonna ask for a 2nd from the Devils and give the Leafs a 4th. But then I thought the Devils may not want to trade a 2nd which very well could be a pick between #31 and #35 overall for a long and expensive contract.
I think that's true. The 2nd actually makes it a hard sell. The 3rd it's done without thinking twice.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Lupul is a giant mystery box at this point. No real word as to what is going on with him, but he hasn't been seen at Leafs functions over the summer. It seems as though his career might just be over, that the collective injuries are enough that he won't play again.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
The first deal: I like the idea of swapping Stoner for another overpaid player, but I wouldn't do that deal. I think Lupul is done as a hockey player, the guy just can't stay healthy.

The second deal: Again, I like the idea, but I'd like to get a different prospect. Maybe one of Blandisi/Quenneville + 2017 3rd for Despres? Or Despres + Stoner for Blandisi/Quenneville + Merrill + 2017 4th?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Definitely don't want Lupul around but even more so we don't want Stoner. We have lots of defense options right now.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
The Leafs are better off hoping Lupul ends up on the IR than trade for a D that would likely be sitting in the press box.

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
Toronto just can't have 9 defensemen on the roster. It's already a bit worrisome that Polak is going to take playing time away from Corrado and Carrick. Adding Stoner would take away playing time from Marincin.

This deal isn't good for the development of Toronto's young defensemen.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Lupul has the decency to be on IR for half of every season. I'd rather that than a player we have to scratch or send to the minors.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

5th round pick

---

3rd round pick

---

Not interested in bringing back Lupul for a 3rd time and not interested in trading a pick away to make that change and not save us any money at all.

Helgeson is a 25 year old defenseman not interested in him. Give us a forward prospect instead of him.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I still believe that Despres for Boucher straight up would be fair value.

I'd be down with that. Stoner stays I guess. I wasn't expecting much of Lupul but I'd rather see him get a shot in Anaheim instead of rotting in Toronto's pressbox.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

5th round pick

---

3rd round pick

---

Interesting! Does this mean Fowler is not moved in your scenario?

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Interesting! Does this mean Fowler is not moved in your scenario?

Yes, in this scenario he stays. I love the guy, but with the Ducks having so many puck movers already, I was 95% sure Fowler would be traded. But I'm not so sure anymore. Training Camp is just around the corner. Shouldn't take an entire summer to find a deal that works with Fowler, so I'm guessing Bob Murray has something else in mind. But if he can't pull it off, he's gonna have to resort to trading Fowler anyway.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I don't think Murray wants to get spanked by Daddy Ray again

The move was a homerun for Shero, but Murray was quoted as saying he knew Palms was going to breakout but they did not have the $ to sign him. If he had how much the breakout woylukd be he would not have done. Murray did good at the time of the trade, imo

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
easy pass from TO. they arent retaining on Lupul for a cap dump and 5th.
that leaves em with 1 retention slot left, a 5th isnt worth it assuming stoner and lupul both have 0 value

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad